My Moisture "Goo" (for those looking for more moisture on the cheap)

purplepeace79

So I've been experimenting with different ingredients, making different types of hair concoctions and such. I just bought a buttload of stuff from other people and was like, what a minute, I can probably make this all myself.

Anyway, last night I whipped up a batch and used it on my twists. It was GREATness. So, I'm sharing. Some naturals might be familiar with this type of stuff, but since there are a lot of lurkers and others who might not know, here is some info

Take 1 cup, give or take, of Raw Shea butter ($5 a tub)

Warm in microwave for 20-30 seconds. You dont want it melted, just softened enough where some oil is produced and you can mix it up.

Then add 1/4 cup give or take of Aloe Vera Gel ($4.99)

Then add 2 tablespoons of Grape Seed Oil ($.99)

Whip together. As you see I use a wooden spoon. The consistency should be like that of yogurt.

Final Product

To use, wash/condition hair. Part hair and rub products through hair from root to tip. OR, when doing twists or braids, put some on your fingertips and you work through.

Use sparingly. You might see some white or yellow stuff but it fades, kinda like lotion on your skin. It really penetrates the hair and makes it shiny. As you're using it, it will begin to solidify, which is cool actually. However if it gets too stiff, microwave it for 5-10 seconds and stir again.

You can see there is no residue on my hair and its nice and shiny (and feels SO soft) :)

levone

Thanks for the idea....I have tons of products to use up but a lot of shea butter and the other ingredients you listed as well, so I may make up a small batch of this to have on hand.

RockCreak

Thanks for the idea... I use shea butter mixed with oils.. but never thought of including aloe vera gel... hmmmm I might make a batch!:look:

purplepeace79

Looks nice and moisturizing:yep:

I have the same Shea Butter, but i just use it as is.

I know a lot of sistas do :) . I find that its too thick on my fine strands and it makes my hair feel kinda dull. Bringing out the oil in it and adding the grapeseed add to the shine while the aloe vera gel really locks in the moisture

purplepeace79

Very good. Would you put it on your scalp as well or do you reckon it's too heavy?

Honestly, the only thing I put on my scalp is sulfur 8 when I have a dandruff flare up, which hasnt been in a while because of my co-washing. I don't put anything else on, so I havent tried it. It really isnt that thick and if you heat it a bit longer, it will be more liquidy which might be good for the scalp.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I'm glad i'm not the only one who gets this from 125th!
I'm relaxed, but my hair is naturally thick and course...I love it on my roots esp when I flat iron.

MizzBrit

love the consistency..does it harden up after a while?
also, if you haven't used it all, you might need a preservative?

purplepeace79

Yes, it does solidify. Some people like that though. You can still use it, just rub in in your palms to liquify it a bit.

I try to only make enough for what I'm going to use right then. The amount I gave you is good for like a head full of twists or braids. I'm sure if you put it in the fridge, it will hold. But dont make too much at once :)

melodies815

I was going to mention this. Good looking out! :yep:

OP, Vitamin E oil would help preserve very well. I made a batch without it once, and I lived to regret it. The Aloe vera gel will make it less likely to remain stable for a long time.

I made mine with shea butter, cocoa butter, Evoo, castor oil, vitamin E, and lavender essential oil for scent. Yummy...

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Thanks! I recently bought two tubs of shea butter and wanted to play with mixing them. I may substitute coconut oil for the grape seed oil in mine

ladybuddafly

I'm jelly! I want some tubs of shea butter too! Lol. I may have to venture to one of ATL's many flea markets to see what I can find. Thanks for the recipe OP.

trendsetta25

it took me forever to find this thread!!! my sister is natural and she just took her weave out but the problem we've been having is that no matter how much oils and conditioners we put in her hair it's always dry.
we are going to try this concoction of yours in 45 mins...lol:lachen:

thanks for this post!:yep:

Sondice

U def gave me the inspiration to try this, I'm gonna add some brahmi oil to the shea butter and aloe vera gel. I had all this lying around but was debating what to do w/ it