My horrible hair braiding experience-kinda long

L

legs71

Saturday I got my braids redone, but instead of going to my usual African hair braider I decided to go to another braider in the same area (Irvington, New Jersey). I don't know what in holy heaven possessed me to go somewhere new when I was very pleased with the people who were braiding my hair, but boy was it a big mistake. For starters, any of you who live in New Jersey never, ever, ever go to Flokay's African Hairbraiding on Springfield Avenue in Irvington. Here's why:

When I made my appointment the owner, Flokay told me to be there Saturday morning by 8:30. Let me remind you I live in NY and my commute to the salon is 35 minutes when the traffic is light. I get there approximately at 8:30 and I walk in the salon and there are 11 other girls waiting to get their hair done, but Flokay is the only braider there. Then arguments erupted because 1 hour later the braiders still weren't there because everyone except 2 people were getting microbraids. When the braiders began to show up it was about 10:00. So as it turns out she had scheduled all 12 of us at 8:30. By the time someone even touched my head it was 12:30. The braiders did more talking, eating and taking breaks than actual braiding. The 1st person who got their hair braided ended up leaving at 7:30. To make a long story short I ended up leaving out of the salon at, get this......12:30 am approximately 16 hours later. She mentioned on 2 occasions how my hair wasn't "full". I corrected her and told her my hair wasn't thick. When my hair was finally finished she told me my hair was difficult to braid because it wasn't full. By this time I was beyond p'oed. I know my hair is not super thick, but I'd be a fool to believe thinner hair is difficult to braid. Thinner hair is an easier job for them because it doesn't require as many braids as a thicker head of hair. That was just her excuse to make me believe my difficult hair was the cause of it taking 12 hours to be braided. Then she tried to tell me I shouldn't wear my braids down because they will come out. I told her my braids have never come out when I had my hair done on 4 different occasions at the same salon and she had a nerve to ask me if I was sure. I replied in the nastiest tone,"If that was the case I wouldn't have repeatedly gotten my hair done at the same salon". My hair looks exactly the way it does when I go to my regular braider who does the same microbraids in 5-6 hours, cheaper and a much nicer organized professional environment. Part of me wishes I had told the owner off, but I was trying to be nice since everyone else was taking turns telling her off. I'm still very mad and considering sending her a letter voicing my dissatisfaction. I truly learned my lesson, don't fix what ain't broken. I won't be going there anymore.

Faith

I thought you were going to tell us she ruined your hair. Whew! The experience isn't too bad then considering what else could have happened? I'm curious why you went somewhere else..lol.

Kamilla16

Dang!!! That women was just plan RUDE. Don't go back to her.

P.S.
About how long do you keep in your micro's?
My mom has been braiding hair for 13 years and she will be doing mine close to June.