My hair won't sink...

RabiaElaine

So I was just conducting a porous hair test according to sistaslicks article. My harvested hair has been floating in bowl of water for 7 minutes now. I know this means my hair isn't porous, but shouldn't my hair sink at some point???

Fine 4s

So I was just conducting a porous hair test according to sistaslicks article. My harvested hair has been floating in bowl of water for 7 minutes now. I know this means my hair isn't porous, but shouldn't my hair sink at some point???

Which could be a good thing. If your hair is too porous it doesn't HOLD moisture well either so. But you bring up an interesting point. How long do you wait to get the true test? I place the strand and wait only a few seconds. How long should we wait?

RabiaElaine

I don't know..it's been hours and they're still floating. I guess the good thing is that I know my cuticles are in tact.

RabiaElaine

i was told that if it sank at all it was bad

Oh ok...I actually found an old thread where Sistaslick explained that if the hair was non-porous (which my hair seems to be since it's not sinking) then it was a good thing and that our hair might be more resistant to chemicals and that it might be harder to get moisture into the hair. But that might be the only thing bad about it. As long as you find moisturizer that can get into ur hair then ur fine.

So I guess I'll stop panicing now and be happy that my hair seems healthy!

KizzieNapps

This is the same way my hair is. It means your hair's porosity level is low not high. There should be a balance between the two. I had a problem with getting my hair to stay soft and it would not absorb relaxers. Which is why I started to go natural. After I went natural is when I struggled to find something that would keep my hair soft. After a couple of weeks of trial and error I finally found a good conditioner that would penetrate the shaft of my hair. Aloe & glycerin helps to keep it soft throughout the day. What types of issues are you having with your hair??

sunshinelady

This is the same way my hair is. It means your hair's porosity level is low not high. There should be a balance between the two. I had a problem with getting my hair to stay soft and it would not absorb relaxers. Which is why I started to go natural. After I went natural is when I struggled to find something that would keep my hair soft. After a couple of weeks of trial and error I finally found a good conditioner that would penetrate the shaft of my hair. Aloe & glycerin helps to keep it soft throughout the day. What types of issues are you having with your hair??

What conditioner did you find?

KizzieNapps

What conditioner did you find?

Biolage Hydratherapie did it for me but everyone's hair is different. The aloe/glycerine mix is what really worked a miracle though! I co-wash every day with the biolage and DC 2X a week with biolage and coconut milk mixed in (Loooove it). Lots and lots of moisture helps my hair...it cant get enough

RabiaElaine

I haven't really had any issues lately I just read up on porosity andwanted to check my hair. I've been using Shea Butter lotion as my daily moisturizer and it works great on my hair. So that could be why it seems to be the only moisturizer that seems to soak into my hair and not just coat it.

KizzieNapps

I haven't really had any issues lately I just read up on porosity andwanted to check my hair. I've been using Shea Butter lotion as my daily moisturizer and it works great on my hair. So that could be why it seems to be the only moisturizer that seems to soak into my hair and not just coat it.

Well if it aint broke....you know the rest. My porosity issue caused me MAJOR problems which is why I took the porosity test and tried to fix it. A lot of the ladies on the board suggested that I try Roux porosity control. If you find that your hair's porosity is indeed out of whack you can try that. Just make sure you mix it with your favorite conditioner when you do it. I tried it by itself and it did nothing for my hair:nono:. You have beautiful hair by the way. HHG!!

I took that test a while ago. Mine didn't sink either. But my hair curled so much it looked like some twisted boat floating on top of the cup. So I poked it and then it sank:look: I guess that's good?..Idk xD But, if there's no issues, I guess that means there's nothing to worry about =]

KizzieNapps

I took that test a while ago. Mine didn't sink either. But my hair curled so much it looked like some twisted boat floating on top of the cup. So I poked it and then it sank:look: I guess that's good?..Idk xD But, if there's no issues, I guess that means there's nothing to worry about =]

Did you take the other tests she suggests for porosity issues? If this ones results arent clear you can try the other tests along with it to get a sure answer. But you're right, if it isnt causing you any problems dont worry about it.