My hair is falling out - Part Deux

septemberbaby

OK, some of you may know about my thyroid condition. For those of you who don't know, my thyroid was overactive. I had radioactive iodine treatment last May which resulted in my thyroid becoming extremely underactive. I started new meds for this condition on August 9th.

I got bloodwork done to see if I'm still underactive and that's the cause of my hair falling out or because of the meds (hair loss is a side effect).

Whatever the cause, it's really taking a toll on my hair and I feel so discouraged and unpretty. I was making great progress and now all of my hard work is going down the drain - literally. :wallbash: At this rate, I'm never going to reach my hair goals. :sad: I wash, deep condition, rollerset and/or airdry but it feels like a waste of time because my hair still falls out/breaks off.

I guess my question is, until the hair stops falling out how should I wear my hair? I'm SO tired of seeing hair in my comb, on my bathroom sink, floor, shower walls, drain, curtain, scrunchies, and clumps of long strands in the drain.

Most of the hair is coming from the crown and sides. I currently wear it pulled back into a loose bun because I'm afraid to do anything else to it. No matter how much or little manipulation there is, the hair still comes out. :sad:

I really don't want to put any added stress on my already weak, thin hair with a hair weave or braids so that's not an option. I've grown to love wearing my own relaxed hair. My Mom suggested that I stop relaxing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Ladies.

gymfreak336

OK, some of you may know about my thyroid condition. For those of you who don't know, my thyroid was overactive. I had radioactive iodine treatment last May which resulted in my thyroid becoming extremely underactive. I started new meds for this condition on August 9th.

I got bloodwork done to see if I'm still underactive and that's the cause of my hair falling out or because of the meds (hair loss is a side effect).

Whatever the cause, it's really taking a toll on my hair and I feel so discouraged and unpretty. I was making great progress and now all of my hard work is going down the drain - literally. :wallbash: At this rate, I'm never going to reach my hair goals. :sad: I wash, deep condition, rollerset and/or airdry but it feels like a waste of time because my hair still falls out/breaks off.

I guess my question is, until the hair stops falling out how should I wear my hair? I'm SO tired of seeing hair in my comb, on my bathroom sink, floor, shower walls, drain, curtain, scrunchies, and clumps of long strands in the drain.

Most of the hair is coming from the crown and sides. I currently wear it pulled back into a loose bun because I'm afraid to do anything else to it. No matter how much or little manipulation there is, the hair still comes out. :sad:

I really don't want to put any added stress on my already weak, thin hair with a hair weave or braids so that's not an option. I've grown to love wearing my own relaxed hair. My Mom suggested that I stop relaxing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Ladies.

Hey shakira74

I am sorry to hear about your thyroid conditoion but I am glad you are getting help. I personally would ask my doctor to recommed a multi-vitamin. When your body is stressed like it can get with thyroid conditions or any other condition, even a common cold, it is going to use more vitamins and minerals trying to cope. I would also take an omega fatty acid supplement. Omega fatty acids help increase circulation, nourish heart and nervous muscle and help support connective tissues like your hair skin and nails. Try taking tablespoon of flaxseed oil everyday and 500mg of borage oil. These oils will help make sure that your scalp recieves more nutritional help while you are going through this.

As far as topical measures look into the alter ego products. They have a garlic hot oil conditioner that has helped many many ladies on this board deal with increased shedding issues. They also make a scalp treatment called "Cren" I believe. I will see if I can find the link to that one for you. I would decrease manipulation as much as possible and keep my hair in a protective style. Don't pull your hair too tight though. Try using an octopus clip which will help keep your hair up without putting too much pressure on your scalp. You can also look into nioxin products

Also get more rest and try to relax since stress is only going to make it worse. Take a bubble bath with some lavender or vanilla bath salts and chill out. Go to bed half and hour earlier or go get a massage. Treat you body well and I am sure it will get better for you. Keep us posted on your treatment.