My Hair is Drying Hard Again, Help

virtuenow

Now that the cold temperature has hit, my hair is air drying hard. I had been co-washing my hair everyday w/success during summer/early fall; and deep conditioning at least once per week protein/reconstructor. I had soft hair airdrying.

Now how do I get back to soft hair w/these cold winds and freezing temperatures. I plan to go back to washing 1x week for now. Any product technique suggestions? I was just spritzing everyday w/an aloe juice and water based moisturizer leave in lotion (and lightly seal just ends w/jojoba-hemp). Obviously that is not cutting it.

I have tightly coiled 4b hair by the way. I would like to avoid heat-- but have considered blow drying-- don't want to have to do that. I also do not stretch my hair-- just wash it and go.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

stop the wash and goes and protective or low mani style your hair.

you can dry your hair on low with a blow dryer or sit under a bonnet or hood type dryer.

i love moisturizing with the following products:

claudies: murumuru-acai butter,isha hair cream, balancing ends insurance, quinoa-coffee balancing

Claudies has 20-25% off sales 4-5 times a year.

i love sealing with a combo of any of the following:
evco
evoo
*hemp
*kukui
meadowfoam
castor or jbco

either one of the ones with a * are a must cause they contain ceramides.

Lita
Coffee
empressri
IDareT'sHair
Eisani
Seamonster

would be more than happy to offer more suggestions i'm sure, hth.

miss cosmic

My hair was doing great till i found aussi 3 min miracle :nono: left my hard as hayle! never again!
baggying overnight and using my moisture spritz of glycerine, water and avj works for me. I co-wash with tresseme naturals and use shampoo once a month. My hair stays touchably soft.
ETA: i also use the LOC method. That really turned my hair around :yep: from type 4zzz to type 4b :lol:

Last edited:

Simply_elle

Clarify :yep:

I was wondering why my hair was so crunchy?!? I used my stash of mixed chicks shampoo and, viola! Soft hair... I love my wng's too... I cut down on glycerine and uped the oils...

Sent from my Exxotical iPhone using LHCF

charmtreese

I'm a 4b and I've been moisturizing with Ferm Moisture Retainer cream & Ferm aqualizing spray, these products work really well on natural hair. My hair is never dry!

Seamonster

Since you use a protein once per week it has to be the elements stripping the hair of moisture. I would suggest protective styling in the winter. Protect your hair from the harsh weather and add a heavy sealer like a butter.

Dposh167

maybe you need a heavy cream moisturizer or leave in as an addition. I think the aloe juice spritz you use will still be helpful...but maybe adding a cream on top of that along with your oil.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
does your hair react to glycerin in any particular way? My hair hates it in the winter/colder temperatures

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I PS 95% of the time in the winter, and replace my water based moisturizers with oil based ones. Co-washing in this NYC winter is a :nono: for me. ceramides are a good placement for hardcore proteins in the winter time, especially if you don't use heat, or color.

Angel of the North

What type of conditioners are you using to co-wash? Are they mainly protein based? Your hair may not like a lot of protein combined with the cold weather. You could try rotating/swapping the protein/reconstructor DC with a moisturizing DC or following up the protein DC with a moisturizing one. If you're not already co-washing with moisturizing conditioners, you could try that and see if helps. Check out the ingredients in your moisturizing leave-in, there may be proteins in that too.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Someone mentioned glycerin. If the air in your area is that dry, do NOT use any products containing glycerin even if it's at the bottom of the list.

You might have to heavy seal. Last December here was so dry, I had to use very heavy stuff from time to time... I avoided grease until later and wish I'd done it sooner. Just a fingerful kept the moisture in for a cpl days.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Oh no my sister-wife is having hair trouble! :sad: Which lotion are you using as a leave-in? I agree with Poochie that you my need to switch to something heavier, creamier, or oil based to have the same softening effect.

virtuenow

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will experiment with some of the above ideas. I do not use glycerin products b/c my hair hates it. I'll make sure again that its not in anywhere in my product list!

What type of conditioners are you using to co-wash? Are they mainly protein based? Your hair may not like a lot of protein combined with the cold weather. You could try rotating/swapping the protein/reconstructor DC with a moisturizing DC or following up the protein DC with a moisturizing one. If you're not already co-washing with moisturizing conditioners, you could try that and see if helps. Check out the ingredients in your moisturizing leave-in, there may be proteins in that too.

@Angel of the North I use Aubrey Organics GPB and Komaza Protein Conditioner on alternating weeks. The Komaza is similar to Nexxus Emergencee & Hydrolyzed Protein based I think. I follow with Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Moisurizing DC. I co wash w/either AO GPB or HSR during the week. Right now I have to wash daily b/c of folliculitis. It's the only thing that saves my scalp (plus I workout alot). Once this bout is over, I will cut back.

@NappyNelle Thanks, girl. I am using Komaza Califia Leave-in. It's a watery lotion. This past couple of months is the first time I started using products again-- also the first time I've worn my hair out in about 18months. My hair stayed moist while I was in a sew in for just using AO GPB weekly DC and castor oil rinses. Now wearing it out is a different story.

I may have to seriously consider protective styling my twists. I usually prefer my hair down, but I'm exploring some new style ideas.

MzSwift

Yes, I thought AVJ was a humectant. That may be culprit.

IA w/the suggestions to clarify as well as protective style.

Lita

Cream based moisturizers are good/combine with cerimaides...In winter i add heavy grease/butter on bottom of length....

Happy Hair Growing!

The Princess

I'm in NY to, what helped me was using a butter to seal. Big difference. Oil was to light for this cold air.