My Hair dresser said this about hair growth is this true?

Highly Favored8

Hi everyone,

I just had my hair done today and shared my goals with my stylists. In my family line my mother, grandmother etc.. has had their hair grow down to mid-back. I told my hair dresser BSL is my goal and she said that:

A person has a stopping point when it comes to growing their hair isthat true?:wallbash: I have seen plenty of women who are older in their 40's and 50's who still grow their hair like MBL or Knee cap lenght and they are white/ hispanic. I know some African- American females who are in their 40's and 50's who are still growing their hair what does this all mean!:perplexed

I have heard that before, but the caveat is that no one really knows where that point is! I've yet to hear someone declare that they've reached their terminal length.

It means that your stylist is a hater. :look: If hair stopped growing at some point then people who relax would not need a relaxer anymore. Do your nails stop growing? NO. So unless you had some type of scalp disorder I don't believe your hair would stop growing once it reached BSL for example. If you are healthy, exercise, eat right, and practice healthy hair care techniques I dont see why it should stop growing.

The only stopping point in growing hair is when your stylist keeps cutting it keeping it that length. :lachen:

Basically what she said is that everybody has a terminal length. Which is true. But I think that as black people, we think our terminal length is shorter than what it really is because many of us do not grow our hair that long. It doesn't mean that it can't or won't get that long, because we all know with proper care it can.

But most people in the real world don't think so. If you think about it, many of us probably didn't think our hair could get that long before coming to this board. And that people with long hair had it for several other unrelated reasons.

Also, it's not just for us but everybody. I knew a white girl in high school who's terminal length was waist length when it was curly. She said it wouldn't get any longer than that and it didn't over the course of the 4 years I knew her. Her hair was perfectly healthy and she took care of it.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your posts and your help and guidence. That is why I love this forum black women are and can grow out their hair thanks so much for the posts back! I love it! I needed the encouragement!:grin:

Your hair doesn't stop growing from the scalp, but there is a certain genetic maximum length potential that we all have that is based on the length of our hair's growing phase. This is your terminal length.

Your terminal length refers to a period of time where your hair grows and grows and then once the end of that particular hair's growth phase has come, the hair will go through a resting phase, then shed. Another hair soon begins to grow in its place, repeating the process. Growth phases can last anywhere from 2-6 years. The longer your phases, the lengthier you can expect your hair to be before it sheds.

So lets say your hair grows .5 inches per month. In one year, your hair will have grown 6 inches. If your growth phase is 4 years, then in four years (considering no cuts/trims) your hair should be 24 inches long before it sheds. Then it starts over. Each single hair on your head is going through these phases all independent of one another. It happens so seamlessly, that you don't even really notice!

There is no way to really know how long your growth phases are unless you follow a strand from "birth to death" literally.

Yeah what she said. :lachen:
Basically what she said is that everybody has a terminal length. Which is true. But I think that as black people, we think our terminal length is shorter than what it really is because many of us do not grow our hair that long. It doesn't mean that it can't or won't get that long, because we all know with proper care it can.

But most people in the real world don't think so. If you think about it, many of us probably didn't think our hair could get that long before coming to this board. And that people with long hair had it for several other unrelated reasons.

Also, it's not just for us but everybody. I knew a white girl in high school who's terminal length was waist length when it was curly. She said it wouldn't get any longer than that and it didn't over the course of the 4 years I knew her. Her hair was perfectly healthy and she took care of it.

It means that your stylist is a hater. :look: If hair stopped growing at some point then people who relax would not need a relaxer anymore. Do your nails stop growing? NO. So unless you had some type of scalp disorder I don't believe your hair would stop growing once it reached BSL for example. If you are healthy, exercise, eat right, and practice healthy hair care techniques I dont see why it should stop growing.

The only stopping point in growing hair is when your stylist keeps cutting it keeping it that length. :lachen:

Let the choir say, "AMEN". :lachen::lachen:

:lachen:Ya'll crack me up!

I agree with the bolded..

I believe how long one's hair grows depends on the individual. There are so many factors to consider.

IMO, it's best not to reveal one's hair length goals to others, including hairdressers, unless you know for sure they have beliefs in harmony with yours.

I've always heard that terminal length is two inches longer than your hair was as a child. I think plenty of people on the board prove this wrong, but who knows.

AGREE! :lachen:

I believe that everyone can make it to atleast BSL/MBL. I think there may be a terminal length but what your stylist says is BS.

I believe that everyone can make it to atleast BSL/MBL. I think there may be a terminal length but what your stylist says is BS.

Remember that singer Crystal Gayle from the 80's? She had hair down to her knees, remember that :blush: She's Loretta Lynn's little sister. I wonder what's her terminal length?

And remember those two asian women that used to dance on Soul Train in the 80's? They had hair down to their knees to :blush:

Read what Crystal says about her hair. I mean this women is 57 years old and she still has floor-length hair. Now I know she is white, but this might give us some insight about hair growing phases, who can really grow their hair (if they want to) and genetics.

This is from Wikipedia:

Gayle is known to be the female artist with the longest hair in the world. Her website says she grew her hair to such incredible lengths because she had to have it boyishly short as a child. She has had at least "classic length" hair all through adulthood, but now keeps her hair to three inches off the floor (though, because of its excellent condition, many people think it is indeed floor-length, despite that while on stage, she always wears high heels to lift it higher.) "If it's on the ground, I find I step on it on stage. When you've hair like this, you cannot plan anything other than washing your hair and doing your concert."

While singing, she frequently stands with her back to the audience, who watch her luxurious hair sway back and forth. Gayle has confessed she sometimes has nightmares about waking up with all her hair cut off, and ever since a fan cut off a large chunk of her sister's hair (as depicted in the movie Coal Miner's Daughter), Gayle has been extra protective of her own hair. She has also posed for pictures with other women with very long hair (also sometimes to the floor). Her daughter has much shorter hair, and Gayle has often said she is sad that so far her daughter has chosen not to follow in her mother's long-hair footsteps

:blush:

Last edited:
I've never heard such crapola from a stylist(s) in years about growing hair. Makes me just wonder what kinda 2 mos beauty school they went to! :(

Hi everyone,

I just had my hair done today and shared my goals with my stylists. In my family line my mother, grandmother etc.. has had their hair grow down to mid-back. I told my hair dresser BSL is my goal and she said that:

A person has a stopping point when it comes to growing their hair isthat true?:wallbash: I have seen plenty of women who are older in their 40's and 50's who still grow their hair like MBL or Knee cap lenght and they are white/ hispanic. I know some African- American females who are in their 40's and 50's who are still growing their hair what does this all mean!:perplexed

I think what she means is that they have a certain time in which the hair will fall off and began again. Say that your growing period is 4 years, after this the hair is suppose to fall off. If you didn't take care of your hair and optimize your growth potential, then that is on you but hair doesn't wait. It is still going to fall off.:yep:

Highly Favoured, we do have a terminal point, but none of us know when it is, so if you want waist length, go for it. You have to power to grow your hair even longer, by taking good care of your hair, plus when your hair gets longer, go to a more positive stylist who likes dealing with long hair. There are a lot of good products available, herbs, vitamins, massaging your hair, exercise will help you reach your goals and remember. All things are possible through Christ, not man, if it wasn't for this board, many of us would have still believed we can only have shoulder length hair.

Back