My Dr. said Monistat is good & my $30 lesson

Shiloh

So I had a bald spot around Christmas. Not a thin spot a BALD spot. I don't know the source, may have been stress. I used some minty biotin creme from Nexxus I think for about a week, religiously. No luck. So of course I came to the forum to see what I should really be doing and the only product suggestion that I already owned was Monistat 7. So I tried it and I promise I noticed results in 2 days. By this time I had already made an appointment with my dermatologist to check out my spot and really to make sure it was okay to continue the monistat. I told her it was working her exact words were "Well if it's working I might prescribe it for my other patients"...hmmmm I thought, well what am I doing here I should just leave, but of course she proceeded to prescribe me a $30 dollar prescription for a spray with similar ingredients to my Monistat some sort of anti-fungal anti-yeast type spray. She said "it's really strong and should do the trick". I used it religiously for a month. No results. So I went back to the Monistat and saw results immediately. The doctor said it was okay to use Monistat 7 so I discontinued the $30 dollar placebo and I'll use Monistat until it's fully grown in.

ravenmerlita

I'm glad it worked for you. The ingredient in Monistat is in a lot of different products and it seems to be working for many women with hair/scalp problems.

soonergirl

I am so happy you are seeing results, when we lose hair its so devastating, glad to hear you are growing again.... Ok, I guess this seals it for me... have been on the fence about mn, but after reading this and your doctor cosigning, I guess i will be headed to the store....thanks for sharing your story!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Wow, 2 days....that's amazing. I have a thin spot on my hairline that I've been working on but not much luck. Maybe this will help. How often are you applying? Keep us updated on your progress.

glamazon386

My mom had a bald spot like that before and she kept messing with it. Then Her hairdresser permed her hair and it got bigger and turned red. She told her to put some neosporin on it. I made her go to the dermatologist. The Dr. told her it was a yeast infection on her scalp. And that if she kept letting it go it was going to spread and make all her hair fall out. She had to get some $80 foam prescription and Nizoral shampoo (that she didn't even use bc her hairdresser told her it was going to dry her hair out real bad). The stuff worked but she could have just used some Monistat and saved her $$.

ShiShiPooPoo

My mom had a bald spot like that before and she kept messing with it. Then Her hairdresser permed her hair and it got bigger and turned red. She told her to put some neosporin on it. I made her go to the dermatologist. The Dr. told her it was a yeast infection on her scalp. And that if she kept letting it go it was going to spread and make all her hair fall out. She had to get some $80 foam prescription and Nizoral shampoo (that she didn't even use bc her hairdresser told her it was going to dry her hair out real bad). The stuff worked but she could have just used some Monistat and saved her $$.

Did the doctor prescribe something oral for your mom? My daughter had several bald spots from fungus on her head that are just now starting to fill in. The doctor prescribed the Nizoral, 1% Ketaconzole ointment, and Griesofluvin (sp) an antibiotic. The doctor said that when it is on the head and feet it will never go away with topicals...you have to kill it from the inside out.

Oh...and why are some hairdressers so absolutely STUPID? She didn't refer your mom to the derm? GEESH.

glamazon386

Did the doctor prescribe something oral for your mom? My daughter had several bald spots from fungus on her head that are just now starting to fill in. The doctor prescribed the Nizoral, 1% Ketaconzole ointment, and Griesofluvin (sp) an antibiotic. The doctor said that when it is on the head and feet it will never go away with topicals...you have to kill it from the inside out.

Oh...and why are some hairdressers so absolutely STUPID? She didn't refer your mom to the derm? GEESH.

I'm not sure. I do think he might have given her a pill too. Because I remember her saying that she didn't think she would need the shampoo with the foam and something else.

EXACTLY. She kept complaining about the spot bothering her and I kept seeing her mess with it. It was like her hand would instantly go to that spot. It was completely bald maybe the size of a quarter. Then after the hairdresser permed her hair it got worse. I was like why would she put that chemical on there like that?!?!?! If I hadn't made her make an appt she might not have any hair now. The Dr. said it was just going to get worse because the yeast was probably getting under her nails when she scratched her head and then she would keep taking that same hand and touching the bald spot which made it spread.

~*Hollywood*~

I brought a tube of Monistat.....Wal-Mart generic brand of course :grin:......but I mixed it with a few oils I had on hand...(Sweet Almond.....Avocado.....Seseme.....and Jojoba).....and applied it to my scalp every night. (Obviously I didn't mix enough because I suffered from the worst headaches I've ever had in my life!!!!!:wallbash:) That lasted me for about a week and a half and when I ran out.....I didn't make it back to the store to get some more. I did begin to notice new growth afterwards though, and I had just got a perm maybe a few days before I started using the Monistat....so it definitely works!:yep: I just recently went back and brought 2 more tubes of it and mixed it up with some other things that I thought would be nice in the mix and I applied my first application last night. I think I like the new mix I came up with better than the last one....but I'll just have to wait and see. If it does wonders for me....I'll be sure to share and post it on the Hair Reciepe board!!!!:drunk:

brownsugar25

So I had a bald spot around Christmas. Not a thin spot a BALD spot. I don't know the source, may have been stress. I used some minty biotin creme from Nexxus I think for about a week, religiously. No luck. So of course I came to the forum to see what I should really be doing and the only product suggestion that I already owned was Monistat 7. So I tried it and I promise I noticed results in 2 days. By this time I had already made an appointment with my dermatologist to check out my spot and really to make sure it was okay to continue the monistat. I told her it was working her exact words were "Well if it's working I might prescribe it for my other patients"...hmmmm I thought, well what am I doing here I should just leave, but of course she proceeded to prescribe me a $30 dollar prescription for a spray with similar ingredients to my Monistat some sort of anti-fungal anti-yeast type spray. She said "it's really strong and should do the trick". I used it religiously for a month. No results. So I went back to the Monistat and saw results immediately. The doctor said it was okay to use Monistat 7 so I discontinued the $30 dollar placebo and I'll use Monistat until it's fully grown in.

Im glad that you are able to grow it back!

I have seen this appear on a couple of threads. How are you mixing/applying? One girl said she applied directly and had side effects, did you?

Is this the same stuff used just for hairgrowth in general or just for significant spots of loss?

brownsugar25

I brought a tube of Monistat.....Wal-Mart generic brand of course :grin:......but I mixed it with a few oils I had on hand...(Sweet Almond.....Avocado.....Seseme.....and Jojoba).....and applied it to my scalp every night. (Obviously I didn't mix enough because I suffered from the worst headaches I've ever had in my life!!!!!:wallbash:) That lasted me for about a week and a half and when I ran out.....I didn't make it back to the store to get some more. I did begin to notice new growth afterwards though, and I had just got a perm maybe a few days before I started using the Monistat....so it definitely works!:yep: I just recently went back and brought 2 more tubes of it and mixed it up with some other things that I thought would be nice in the mix and I applied my first application last night. I think I like the new mix I came up with better than the last one....but I'll just have to wait and see. If it does wonders for me....I'll be sure to share and post it on the Hair Reciepe board!!!!:drunk:

What did your consistancy look like (after you mixed), can you elaborate?

Platinum

I gotta try this stuff! I'm wondering if that the reason why my scalp itches so bad. All of the hair at the nape of my neck broke off a few months ago (it looks shaved back there) and I have a bald spot in the top. Those areas are where I had the most itching. I started using a Sulfur 8 mix almost two weeks ago. I have seen a little NG but I still have itchy scalp. :wallbash:

Ladies, tell me, does it stop scalp itch? I've tried almost everything else (witch hazel, tea tree oil, Dr. Miracle, etc).

Shiloh

I wash about once a week and I always rinse with ACV. Then when my hair is dry I'll put some Monistat on the spot, Just a dab will do ya. I put it on every night before I go to bed. Sometimes I'll do it twice a day. Now that my hair is growing in I try not to get any of the creme on my hair. If it does get on there I'll generally wait until the morning any I'll put some WGHO on the hair only. Not on my scalp. And that's it.

After 2 days I noticed, well this might sound weird but I guess you can say I noticed stubble. And now I'm finally starting to see it coil up a little. [I can't figure out the smiley things or you would see lot's of happy smiley faces here]
I'm 12 weeks post my relaxer that's when I usually get a touch up but I think I'm going to wait another 4 weeks to give my little spot a break. I've been using the creme exclusively for about 2 weeks now.

Miss*Tress

It's even worse than stupidity, because the hairdresser could be spreading the infection to her other clients or Glamazon's mom picked up the infection there. I would not go back to that stylist.

SimpleKomplexity

WHY did she relax your mom's hair knowing that it was something wrong with it....man jsut to make a buck...ugh! :wallbash:
I'm not sure. I do think he might have given her a pill too. Because I remember her saying that she didn't think she would need the shampoo with the foam and something else.

EXACTLY. She kept complaining about the spot bothering her and I kept seeing her mess with it. It was like her hand would instantly go to that spot. It was completely bald maybe the size of a quarter. Then after the hairdresser permed her hair it got worse. I was like why would she put that chemical on there like that?!?!?! If I hadn't made her make an appt she might not have any hair now. The Dr. said it was just going to get worse because the yeast was probably getting under her nails when she scratched her head and then she would keep taking that same hand and touching the bald spot which made it spread.

quasimodi

I'm curious about what causes the headaches, too. An allergic reaction maybe? From peeking in different threads most women don't get them.

Some women have mixed MN with cayenne pepper cream, different oils (castor, coconut, almond, etc.), Sulfur 8, and claim that the mixing is what prevents the headaches.

At any rate, I have thinning hair at my temples and the nape of my neck (traction alopecia from having braids too tight). I've done some research and the ingredients found in Monistat, Neosporing AF, and other products with MN are found in medication used to treat ringworm of the scalp, so I'm presuming that, with the proper precautions, such as mixting, it should be safe.

I'm going to mix some MN with cayenne pepper cream (2 to 1), add a few drops of tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint oil and pray for the best. :yep: I'm just waiting for my essential oil order to come in and then I'll give it a shot.