My 5-Year LHCF Anniversary (PICS)

hillytmj

I can't believe it's the eve of my 5-Year LHCF journey. I'm so excited about it because I can honestly say that the tips on this site truly work and the advice/support from LHCF members over the years has been a true blessing.

Highlights of my journey
  • Me in 2006 with fried, bleached hair.
Jan. 2006.JPG
I got it back healthy that same year, but a scissor-happy stylist kept me at necklength for nearly a year and a half later in the name of "preventing split ends." (Of course this was before I learned the truth about proper trimming and length retention).

• A friend referred me to LHCF in 2007, and I finally joined in July 2008. I started at healthy APL and reached BSL in Nov. that year.
Freshly Relaxed 8-2-08.jpeg

Nov. 22, 2008.jpg
  • I met midback for the first time in 2009.
December 20, 2009.JPG
  • Christmas 2010 marked my beyond dream length - WL.
1-6-11-WL-cropped.jpg

Since then, and throughout that time, I learned many things through trial and error, and blessings in disguise (aka "setbacks").
  • If you feel you are experiencing a setback, don't panic. Take time to think through what may have changed in your routine and correct it.
  • Your hair will grow and rebound, no matter how many times you may have to trim it. Just be patient. I've grown to Waist twice in this five year period.
  • Don't slack on your routine once you reach your goal. (That's what led to a major setback in 2011).
  • Don't ever stop taking hair photos; I have tons of them and they help keep you motivated and allow you to track your progress.
  • Regular trims work best for me; not trimming actually delayed me from reaching my length goals.
  • Stick with what works (i.e. products, reggie, etc.); it's not like fitness where you have to constantly change it up.
  • Healthy hair care, regardless of length, is a lifestyle.
I'm so thankful that throughout this journey I've maintained at least BSL, which still is long hair to me. My current goal is full WL and my longterm goal is Hiplength, which I've never experienced before.

Here is my hair today after a 8 week stretch (black shirt) followed by me giving myself a light trim (pink shirt).

Happy growing everyone. Keep the faith and know that LHCF tips truly work.

Blessings,
hillytmj

Last edited:

hillytmj

Re: My 5-Year LHCF Anniversary

Here are my current pics. I exceeded the posting limit, lol.

After an 8 week stretch
IMG-20130727-00535.jpg

After a light self-trim
IMG-20130729-00553.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Congrats on your 5 year mark! I love the BSL pic...was your hair in a bun b4 you took the pic? Nice pretty waves and a lot of body in that hair girl.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Lurkee

Please can you give trimming tips? I would like to do regular trims and maintain a u shape. My hair grows in a v and I find that I trim too much off and then not trim for ages. My last cut was my avatar Dec last year.

Funmiloves

I'm sure the ladies will chime in with trimming tips. I just wanted to say congrats on your 5 year mark!

hillytmj

Please can you give trimming tips? I would like to do regular trims and maintain a u shape. My hair grows in a v and I find that I trim too much off and then not trim for ages. My last cut was my avatar Dec last year.

Hi Lurkee, these are a few tips that have worked for me, but I'm sure there are tons of ladies on here who use different, yet effective, methods.

I use the Feye's Self Trimming method that has often been circulated on the LHCF. My hair also grows in a V so I know what you mean in terms of feeling like you're trimming off too much (since the V typically is 2 inches or more longer than the sides).

I've also found that you can better manage the V by doing regular trims or dustings.
  1. When I recently decided to focus on thickness again, I trimmed more frequently, like every 2-4 weeks for a total period of 4 months.
  2. Now that it's where I want it to be in terms of fullness, I'll scale back to dusting or trimming as needed, which historically has been every 8-12 weeks.
If your hair is already in the state that you want (i.e. fullness/thickness)then you can probably do #2 to prevent the V from getting out of control and going too long between trims.
Feye's website also shows a technique for trimming a U-shape like you want; I prefer her straight across trim, but as you can see from my pics, it still has a slight u-shape.

Good luck!

hillytmj

Your beautiful hair is motivation to all of us I'm gonna print the tips for my self

Thanks Sug - I'm glad I could help. Reading similar tips from all of the ladies on this site has helped me over the past five years. It's amazing how much a supportive community can make a difference in your journey.

Lurkee

Thank you. I just gave myself a trim. I think I cut a lot from the V section and my ends feel better. I did it on 12-13 weeks post relaxer hair. I will relax this weekend and then take a picture to see my handiwork. Fingers crossed.