MTG/Sulphur-- Info For the Doubters!

cocoberry10

Here is some interesting info about sulphur for those who aren't sure about MTG/Other sulphur-based products (i.e. Sulfur 8, Glover's, etc.)

See http://hairloss.about.com/od/preventinghairloss/a/Sulphur_p.htm

Sulphur and Hair Growth
From Apply Now,Your Guide to Hair Loss.

Sulphur is a mineral present in every cell in the human body, with its greatest concentration in hair, skin and nails. It has often been called the “beauty mineral” and the “healing mineral” because of its ability to promote circulation and decrease inflammation. These qualities also lend to the theory that adequate amounts of sulphur can jump-start hair growth in people with deficiencies.
MSM
Sulphur is present in protein-rich foods containing high levels of the amino acids methionine and cysteine. These foods include meat, fish, legumes, nuts, eggs, and vegetables, especially onions. However, sulphur has recently become a popular nutritional supplement and topical treatment, thanks to the discovery of methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM.

The use of MSM as a nutritional supplement and topical application is relatively recent. An American chemist named Robert Herschler, began studying MSM in 1955. However, another man, Dr. Stanley Jacob with Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, is considered by many to be the father of MSM. He concluded that MSM is the chief healing ingredient in dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO).

Dr. Jacob found that simple marine life like algae and plankton convert inorganic sulphur to organic sulphur compounds. These compounds are known as dimethylsulfonium salts. These salts are transformed into dimethyl sulfide (DMS), which is released into the atmosphere and is converted by ultraviolet light into dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). When DMSO oxidizes, it turns into MSM and is absorbed by plants that become food for animals and humans. MSM is a white, crystalline powder that is odorless and nearly tasteless. When taken as a dietary supplement, MSM proved to have the same health benefits as DMSO without side-effects such as bad breath, itchy skin, nasal congestion, and shortness of breath.

The Miracle of MSM
In the book, The Miracle of MSM, by drs. Stanley Jacob and Ronald Lawrence, they state that MSM is considered to be “as safe as drinking water” with no chance of overdose. They state that even after years of taking more than 2,000 mg of MSM each day, patients showed no sign of toxicity. That’s because as a water-soluble mineral, any excess MSM not used by the body is flushed out.

The doctors treated more than 1,000 patients with MSM for everything from osteoarthritis to allergies. When it came to hair, they reported that 100% of their patients taking MSM experienced increased growth. Although these results are intriguing there is no widely-published evidence that taking excessive amounts of MSM will improve health problems unless a sulphur deficiency is present first.

Spotting a Sulphur Deficiency
Some of the first signs of a sulphur deficiency are dry skin, and brittle hair and nails. Other symptoms may include sore joints and muscles, diabetes, headaches, allergies and fatigue.

Whether or not humans get enough sulphur in our everyday diets remains up for debate. Because sulphur isn’t manufactured by the body, it must be absorbed through plants that have grown in sulphur-rich soil and the animals that eat those plants. Some nutritionists believe that chemical pesticides and fertilizers deplete the soil of necessary sulphur. In addition, processed foods are stripped of much of their natural sulphur.

The National Academy of Sciences has not issued a recommended daily allowance for sulphur. This may be because an adequate amount of protein in the daily diet is believed to provide more than enough sulphur for good health. However, many nutritionists and MSM supplement manufacturers recommend 2,000-8,000 milligrams of MSM be taken daily in case not enough sulphur is gained through the diet.

Topical Application
Topically, sulphur-rich creams are used to treat problems such as arthritis pain and scalp conditions. It has been particularly successful in treating Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. Sulphur creams have been shown to reduce the increased sebum production, while ridding the scalp of itchy scales.

Some herbalists recommend a sulphur-rich hair tonic with an odorous side-effect. It involves rubbing half a raw onion into your scalp before shampooing. Many people claim that the onion's high sulphur concentration is an effective treatment for scalp problems and can even stimulate hair growth. However, no independent studies have been performed to test this theory.

Mahalialee4

And in support of what she said: this is taken as a direct quote from ....MSM The Definitive Guide...A comprehensive Review of the Science and Therapeutics of Methylsulfonylmethane...(MSM) by Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., F.A.C.S. and Jeremy Appleton, N.D.... Dr. Jacobs is an investigator, teacher and professor at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Oregon....board certified surgeon and has served as instructor of surgery at Harvard Medical School...has worked with MSM for 25 years and is the world's foremost expert on its research and clinical applications... I will not go on about credentials...you can buy the book. But this should lend considerable credibility to the findings I am quoting.
"Sulphur has long been a valued medicine in dermatology. ..(including all forms of sulphur including milk of sulphur (precipitated) and fkowers of sulphur (sublimed sulphur)...Topically appled sulphur has mild antifungal and antibacterial activity.......p31) Now here is something significant!!!
...It is abundant in the mucopolysaccharides dermatan sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid....also the site for attachment and transfer of methyl groups...acts as carrier and activator for acyl groups...involved in synthesis of fatty acids, ketones, cholesterol...is associated with mucopolysaccharides, (e.g.Keratin) ....p.29...also noted is page 209...MSM has been observed to improve the growth of hair and nails... sO THIS COULD also throw some light on why "SURGE" was effective for many. The reason I switched to MTG was to get the same effect with out the trauma of reaction I was getting from the Surge. Not everything is for everybody.
Anyway to get the complete story, you will have to buy the book. Maybe at a health food store, if you are interested to know more. Bonjour

fancypants007

Piggy-backing on what's already been said, I found another article....

Trial Shows Sulfur Compound Improves Hair and Nail Growth

A recent, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial, performed by Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., showed that 100% of the subjects on MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), a nutritional supplement that provides biologically active sulfur, showed increased hair growth compared to the group on placebo. Only one subject on placebo showed an increase in hair length. In addition, 30% of the subjects on MSM showed improvement in hair brilliance, while none of the subjects on placebo showed such an improvement.......

if you want to finish reading the article go to WholesaleMSM.com and click on hair and nails. I just put in my order for the MSM powder. I have been using MTG externally and I see the difference, perhaps taking this internally I will see a bigger difference.

ximenia

It's true. Qhemetbiologics.com products contain sulfur, she has information about how sulfur enhances hair growth on her ingredients page.

tenderheaded

Thanks for the medical info. I've been using MSM since 9/1/05 and I plan on using it for the rest of my life - along with my daily dose of fresh onions!!!

Phoenix

I've been good about using MTG, but I've been slacking on my MSM intake. I guess I need to start taking it again. Am I the only one who thinks MSM (in powder form) is really nasty? I keep reading these articles where they say it's tasteless.