MSM and Waves

elliot

Okay, you have all convinced me to give up my MSM pills for the crystals. I hope I can achieve similar results like all of you!

Eiano

Ladies... just to ask a question.

What was your problem with the pills? Was is just that you don't want to swallow them? 1000mg is 1000mg, not matter what else they put into it, it IS 1 gram of MSM plus about 100mg of fillers.

Also: (just to make sure I bought the right kind) Is MSM mainly for bones and cartilage? And is its real name methylsulfonylmethane ?

Eiano

Another question: Did you or didn't you notice a looser wave pattern with the pills? Or is it even MORE loose when you take the powders.

Thanks a lot ladies!!!

ananas

[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Londondiva, how long have you been using the crystals? Have you notice a change in texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not on it at the moment (ran out) but the texture does change yes

The breakouts are due to the toxins being released from your system (like a detox) it's a well known trait when taking MSM, that's a sign of the impurities being rid from your body. Also headaches are another one, just drop the doseage and start out small. It does get better they are constant traits when taking MSM.

[/ QUOTE ]

london diva, where in the UK do you get yours? could you please give me a link ?i have tried quite a few locally sourced brands but i have never had that happen. personally, if it makes my hair stronger, and less prone to dryness and breakage its on! oh, and how much vit. c do you take?

yours
ana

lthomas1

Hair Power!
How much MSM do I take?
We always recommend starting at a low level of between 500 and 1000 mg (eighth to a quarter teaspoon) per day. Stay at that level for about a week and then add another 500 to 1000 mg per day and stay at that level for a week. Continue in the same way for several weeks never adding more than 2000 mg (half teaspoon) at one time, until you are taking between 6 and 8 teaspoons per day. This high level makes up for the years of deficiency that your body has experienced. Then reduce the amount to a maintenance level for whatever works for you. This is a balance between addressing what you want to address and being able to sleep as well as you would like at night. For most people the maintenance level is between 1 and 2 teaspoons (4000 to 8000 mg) per day. Always drink LOTS of water when starting on MSM or when increasing the amount you are taking.

How many milligrams of MSM are in a teaspoon?
There are about 4000 mg (or 4 grams) of MSM in a measured level teaspoon.

Aerie17

My MSM is by TriMedica and is pure powder. It dissolves completely and does lump up in the container. I take it by putting it directly on my tongue and washing it down with water. It is a little bitter. If I happen to have a small amount of water (I keep a water bottle by the bed) nearby, I will put it in the water, shake and drink. It dissolves completely. The stuff does work!

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
How much MSM do I take?
We always recommend starting at a low level of between 500 and 1000 mg (eighth to a quarter teaspoon) per day. Stay at that level for about a week and then add another 500 to 1000 mg per day and stay at that level for a week. Continue in the same way for several weeks never adding more than 2000 mg (half teaspoon) at one time, until you are taking between 6 and 8 teaspoons per day. This high level makes up for the years of deficiency that your body has experienced. Then reduce the amount to a maintenance level for whatever works for you. This is a balance between addressing what you want to address and being able to sleep as well as you would like at night. For most people the maintenance level is between 1 and 2 teaspoons (4000 to 8000 mg) per day. Always drink LOTS of water when starting on MSM or when increasing the amount you are taking.
[ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks for that! I have only been taking a 1000mg/day. Since I am just starting that consistency thing again, I will try what you've outlined and see what I get. I know with the 1000 mg, I definitely see a diff. I think I'll try up to 2000/day. I actually was taking this before for my joints. I injured my knee in a car accident years ago, and as I get older, I notice more pain in climbing stairs and such. I never attributed my hair changes to the MSM until I heard about it on this board. The things you find out here,
!!

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
I guess I will get up off my
and start being consistent again!

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I will get off mine too.
I have a brand new bottle somewhere around here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, get it girl!!!

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
ananas said:
[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Londondiva, how long have you been using the crystals? Have you notice a change in texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not on it at the moment (ran out) but the texture does change yes

The breakouts are due to the toxins being released from your system (like a detox) it's a well known trait when taking MSM, that's a sign of the impurities being rid from your body. Also headaches are another one, just drop the doseage and start out small. It does get better they are constant traits when taking MSM.

[/ QUOTE ]

london diva, where in the UK do you get yours? could you please give me a link ?i have tried quite a few locally sourced brands but i have never had that happen. personally, if it makes my hair stronger, and less prone to dryness and breakage its on! oh, and how much vit. c do you take?

yours
ana

[/ QUOTE ]

I get mine from here

http://www.a1msm.co.uk/

I used to take Vit C with mine but am too lazy to do it now. I just mix it straight with water

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Girl, I hear ya!!! I am thinking about increasing my dosage gradually. If my hair keep growing like this I may try to go without relaxers for about a year. I believe i could easily make waist length by next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go girl!!!

How is the growth for you per month on MSM and how much do you take daily?

Isis

I have a question about this texture change. Do any of you ladies taking MSM have difficulty relaxing your new growth? Can you still easily see where it starts and ends?
I extend my relaxer just so I can see my new growth clearly and easily. If the texture changes, I wonder if there is a possiblity of overprocessing or overlapping.

GodMadeMePretty

And I want to know if it makes hair grow all over the place. I'm a pretty hairy girl and I don't want to get major hair all over my body.

elliot

Checking in with everyone on my MSM progress. I have been taking MSM in powder form for 3 weeks now and I am 5 weeks post relaxer. My new growth is much softer. I think I am going to stretch my relaxer beyond 6 weeks. In the past when I stretched out to 8 weeks, I had severe breakage. I will keep you informed.

Also, is there a benefit in taking MSM with Vitamin C?

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
And I want to know if it makes hair grow all over the place. I'm a pretty hairy girl and I don't want to get major hair all over my body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have not grown alot of hair in other places, but everyone is different. My nails have improved so much that people ask me if i'm wearing tips. I have ten long natural nail on my hands and I know it is due to the vitamins.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Girl, I hear ya!!! I am thinking about increasing my dosage gradually. If my hair keep growing like this I may try to go without relaxers for about a year. I believe i could easily make waist length by next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go girl!!!

How is the growth for you per month on MSM and how much do you take daily?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been taking 3000mg of MSM per day and recently start averaging an inch per month. I am now 2 inches away from bra strap. I hope to make it by the end of summer.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I have a question about this texture change. Do any of you ladies taking MSM have difficulty relaxing your new growth? Can you still easily see where it starts and ends?
I extend my relaxer just so I can see my new growth clearly and easily. If the texture changes, I wonder if there is a possiblity of overprocessing or overlapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, I can still see the wave pattern of the new growth, it is just looser but you can still see where it begins. I do not have a problem with the relaxer taking effect, or any overlapping. I do plan on going a little long before doing a touch up.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Where can you buy MSM crystals???

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy from this site:
https://msm-msm.com/shop/boutique.html
These are some sites I came across:

[url="http://store.yahoo.com/clubnatural/msm2.html[/url]"]http://store.yahoo.com/clubnatural/msm2.html
[/url]
http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/msm_capsules_crystals_powder_products.htm
http://store.yahoo.com/vetamerica/msmcr12lb0kg.html
Check out Puritan Pride. Alot of ladies purchase their MSM powder from them. Just make sure it says 99.9% pure.
http://puritan.com/
I'm sure you can search for other place on the internet. Check your local health food store or vitamin shop. There is a store near me that sales the MSM in both capsule and powder form. I do prefer the crystals or flakes.

HealthyHair

those of you that have noticed a texture change how long were you using MSM before you noticed results or increased growth and what hair type do you have? I have 4A, I've started taking MSM about 2 weeks ago.

TBird

Ladies do you find that you get better results with the crystals vs. the powder? I've been on MSM powder for 2 months and I do like what I've seen so far but if it could be better with the crystals I'm willing to give it a go. Thanks