MSM and Waves

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I started crystal MSM in February 2004 and for the first time I notice a texture change. I absolutely love the waves I am getting in the front, and the new growth is so soft. It almost makes my want to give up relaxing all together. I spoke to my doctor and he told me that MSM is in it purest form when it is crystals, then the crystals are ground into powder. So that is why I use the crystals. I know alot of you are using the powder. The crystals dissolve very nicely. My MSM and Vit C are the first vitamins I take in the morning. I am now a believer in the texture change.

Armyqt

I've noticed the same thing too. It defintely makes the new growth looser. BTW, where are u getting your crystals from? I may need to try those.

Armyqt

Thanks for the link. I think I'm gonna try the crsytals when I run out of the powder. BTw how many oz are in a lb? Is it 16.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I looked at my container and it just says Net Weight 1lb. It is a nice size container. A friend of mine told me about the web site. When I ordered from them it came pretty fast. I had my order in about 3 days.

offthechainliz

I really love msm. I saw a definite change almost right away. When I was 8 weeks post with wet hair, and the comb just glided through my hair without feeling rough, dry and brittle I was like

Before msm by week six I would be more then dying to relax. I think I may be taking this for life.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Ditto for me. I don't even start noticing newgrowth until 4 weeks post relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you mean DSD. I do not feel any waves in the back of my head, but up front I have waves that are so soft it feels like baby hair.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
I spoke to my doctor and he told me that MSM is in it purest form when it is crystals, then the crystals are ground into powder. So that is why I use the crystals. I know alot of you are using the powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

The powder you speak of IS ground crystals. I think everyone is calling it powder because of its texture. So yeah, everyone who uses the jar of pure MSM is using what you're using.

Aerie17

I agree with you about the texture change. I had stopped taking the MSM powder on a consistent basis because frankly I found it inconvenient to take and got tired of taking so many supplements. Since I have been inconsistent, my texture is not as soft as before. I guess I will get up off my
and start being consistent again!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
I guess I will get up off my
and start being consistent again!

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I will get off mine too.
I have a brand new bottle somewhere around here...

NYCchild

[ QUOTE ]
offthechainliz said:
I really love msm. I saw a definite change almost right away. When I was 8 weeks post with wet hair, and the comb just glided through my hair without feeling rough, dry and brittle I was like

Before msm by week six I would be more then dying to relax. I think I may be taking this for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto here

I could not believe it. Im taking the Puritan Pride brand its powder in a capsule i just empty two in my protein shake every other day
i was wanting to try Doctors Best but couldnt find it online.... but im happy with the pp

OffthechainL. what brand are u taking?

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]
I spoke to my doctor and he told me that MSM is in it purest form when it is crystals, then the crystals are ground into powder. So that is why I use the crystals. I know alot of you are using the powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

The powder you speak of IS ground crystals. I think everyone is calling it powder because of its texture. So yeah, everyone who uses the jar of pure MSM is using what you're using.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the kind I have is the crystal one. Mine says MSM powder. I envision the crystal kind to be flakes. SOmeone pls clarify for me. I need to order some more MSM soon

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect the powder and crystal or flakes are not the same thing. Many of the MSM powders on the market contain fillers and are not pure MSM. Do not assume that if it is in powder form that it is the same as pure crystals that are uncut.

Manufacturing Facts
During the manufacturing process, MSM forms naturally in to crystals / flakes of varying sizes.
Some suppliers call them crystals, some call them flakes, there is no difference except in name.
Potential Problems with powders
So, MSM powder has three potential problems for the unknowing purchaser:
1. It may contain a flow agent.
2. It may be cut with a cheap bulking ingredient.
3. It may be pure but generally will form large hard lumps in the tub which can be somewhat difficult for the end customer to use.
MSM containing fillers
Fillers like magnesium Stearate are added to many commercial products for bulking purposes i.e. it fills the tubs/capsules up for higher profit !
One UK High Street brand of MSM capsules contains 25% filler. Talc (unscented) is another popular bulking filler.
If your MSM, powder or capsules contain filler - change your supplier !
Filler Test
There is a simple test which you can do to check if your MSM contains any of the basic fillers like Magnesium Stearate or talc.
How to :-
1. Depending which form it is in, simply dissolve the contents of about 6 capsules / four tablets or 1 (one) teaspoon of MSM in a glass of warm water (MSM dissolves more quickly in warm water).
2. In the case of Crystals / flakes, powder or capsules, after fully dissolved, the water in the glass should appear totally clear. If it has a milky or cloudy look it’s certain that it contains a filler/s. In the case of tablets a small amount of Magnesium Stearate and Silicon Dioxide is generally deemed necessary to the tablet making process !
The above test is for fillers only.

Armyqt

I found this info on the web regarding flakes/powder.
http://www.a1msm.co.uk/msm_crystals_flakes.htm#msm_flakes

The crystals / flakes are sieved through very specific "mesh sizes" giving different grades of the product.

Sometimes the larger crystals / flakes are ground down into a fine powder - this is where some problems may arise.

The fine powder tends to lock together into large, hard lumps which are difficult to process. Some suppliers add flow agents like silica for ease of tubbing and product appearance. So free-flowing MSM powder generally contains one or more flow agents.

Once a flow agent has been added it's very easy for an unscrupulous supplier to cut it with bulking ingredients which are also available in fine powder form - take magnesium Stearate for example or talc (a trade term for a cheap unscented bulking ingredient)

Potential Problems with powders

So, MSM powder has three potential problems for the unknowing purchaser:

1. It may contain a flow agent.

2. It may be cut with a cheap bulking ingredient.

3. It may be pure but generally will form large hard lumps in the tub which can be somewhat difficult for the end customer to use.

Crystals / Flakes

In contrast, crystals / flakes:

1. Are naturally free-flowing i.e. They don't need a flow agent as the crystals / flakes don't lock together.

2. Avoid the possibility of containing a cheap bulking ingredient.

Crystals / flakes are a far superior product depending on a further very important factor
esh Sizes / Grades / Powders

I've definitely gotten great results with the powder, but I think I'm gonna try the crystals since they're supposed to be a more pure form. I had no idea that the powder could have fillers also.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I have read threads on this site, powder is more pure than the crystals. I have found out since that is not true.

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
elliot said:
How do you take the crystals? Do they dissolve in water?

[/ QUOTE ]

They dissolve in water with no problem. They may take a little while but the sink and dissolve. I usually give mine a little stir with a chopstick to dissoleve a little quicker.

mytia

SuperWoman!
My hair texture has started to change also it's much softer and I have waves at the top which I've never had before, I thought that I was seeing things
when my hair started to get wavy at the top! I almost stopped the MSM due to terrible breakouts, but my skin has cleared up now.

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Londondiva, how long have you been using the crystals? Have you notice a change in texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not on it at the moment (ran out) but the texture does change yes

The breakouts are due to the toxins being released from your system (like a detox) it's a well known trait when taking MSM, that's a sign of the impurities being rid from your body. Also headaches are another one, just drop the doseage and start out small. It does get better they are constant traits when taking MSM.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I had out breaks of the skin in the beginning. Now my skin actually looks really good now. You just have to stay with it. I wen through some mild detox. I had headaches for the first three weeks, like Londondiva said you just have to adjust the dosage that you take.

LondonDiva

I should have elaborated a bit more in my answer to your question. Sorry

The texture does change, yes, for the better. Smoother and softer I am a 4b more like 4Z in the back, and I think it loosens it to a 4a or maybe less hair texture. There is more shine and I get waves instead of tight curls.
I think the more MSM you take the looser the texture.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Londondiva, you now got me on a roll. How may mg did you take everyday? I take 3000mg per day. I have loose waves in the front and it is actually coming in straight in the back. I can't feel the new growth in the back, but I know it has grown because I am so close to bra strap.

LondonDiva

I did it by the teaspoon about 5,000mg plus (5,000 mg is 1 teaspoon of crystals) in a 2 litre jug of water.

I like the taste of MSM in my water.
Girl YOU got ME on a roll I need to order me some more next week

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Girl, I hear ya!!! I am thinking about increasing my dosage gradually. If my hair keep growing like this I may try to go without relaxers for about a year. I believe i could easily make waist length by next year.