Moisturizing my Kinky Twists

Amari

What is a good way to moisturize my kinky twists?My hair is normally extremely dry.(My steamer helps but I cant use it w/ these right?)Also,a good way to keep dandruff at bay while in the twists will be greatly appreciated.How do you ladies care for your kinky twists overall?

Rainbow Dash

I have been wearing kinky twist off an on since June. 08 I put aloe vera gel or juice, glycerin, water, drops of peppermint oil or rosemary oil in a spray bottle. I spritz my twist once or twice a day to keep them moisturized. It also makes my scalp feel refreshed. I noticed that doing this keeps my hair from being so dry and helps retain hair.

Amari

I have been wearing kinky twist off an on since June. 08 I put aloe vera gel or juice, glycerin, water, drops of peppermint oil or rosemary oil in a spray bottle. I spritz my twist once or twice a day to keep them moisturized. It also makes my scalp feel refreshed. I noticed that doing this keeps my hair from being so dry and helps retain hair.

Thanks for your reply.This mix sounds great and I have everything you mentioned.How are your edges?I told them not to braid tight,of course they did,I see the little white tips at my edges.I'm not too worried about it though it was my fault for not getting up,and I dont think it'll be noticeable damage once I take them out

Tamrin

unapologetic
Thanks for your reply.This mix sounds great and I have everything you mentioned.How are your edges?I told them not to braid tight,of course they did,I see the little white tips at my edges.I'm not too worried about it though it was my fault for not getting up,and I dont think it'll be noticeable damage once I take them out

Add about 2 to 3 Table spoons of a creamy leave in such as Salerm 21 to the mix Heath told you about. This is exactly what I have been doing since I started using kinky twists. I have had 4 sets and no dry breaking hair..

Speaking of your edges... If they are too tight ( I never recommend tight edged.) Try retwisting them yourself. Here is a turorial by a member here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5M-liCovEg

and here is another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqhnDCAtU8&feature=related

By redoing my tight twists myself. ( see fotki) I learned to do them myself and my last 3 sets have been done by me the way I want to and no more paying the African braider. Tight edges mean no edges when you take them out. Please redo them now ok.

lashannasmall

Kinky twists are easy to do yourself. If you do them yourself, you can wash and condition them as much as you want because if they loosen up, you can just go through and redo them. I will go through mine and put shea butter on the hair before I retwist that section. That way I keep my real hair moisturized. Trust me, if your hair is getting damaged in the front, it is getting damaged in other places too, you just don't feel them yet. I am so sorry to say this but alot of stylist don't care about your real hair, they just care about the finished results. To this day, I have a spot in my hairline that has not grown back from damage done by African braiders over 10 years ago.

Rainbow Dash

I also learned to do kinky twist by redoing my edges. I have saved myself alot of money by doing my own twists. I also used Youtube tutorials. I have people asking me to do their twists but I only do my own.

Amari

Add about 2 to 3 Table spoons of a creamy leave in such as Salerm 21 to the mix Heath told you about. This is exactly what I have been doing since I started using kinky twists. I have had 4 sets and no dry breaking hair..

Speaking of your edges... If they are too tight ( I never recommend tight edged.) Try retwisting them yourself. Here is a turorial by a member here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5M-liCovEg

and here is another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqhnDCAtU8&feature=related

By redoing my tight twists myself. ( see fotki) I learned to do them myself and my last 3 sets have been done by me the way I want to and no more paying the African braider. Tight edges mean no edges when you take them out. Please redo them now ok.

Thanks so much for the info you provided.If my edges are jacked when I take them out,how do I nurse them back?I'm thinking about just taking them out now...

Amari

Kinky twists are easy to do yourself. If you do them yourself, you can wash and condition them as much as you want because if they loosen up, you can just go through and redo them. I will go through mine and put shea butter on the hair before I retwist that section. That way I keep my real hair moisturized. Trust me, if your hair is getting damaged in the front, it is getting damaged in other places too, you just don't feel them yet. I am so sorry to say this but alot of stylist don't care about your real hair, they just care about the finished results. To this day, I have a spot in my hairline that has not grown back from damage done by African braiders over 10 years ago.

Thanks for your advice.I just really wanted a low maintenance style,got tired of the wigs.'I think I'm going to have to go back to the wig look so I can take care of my real hair better...