Moisturizing detangler

Ladylynn

Could anyone recommend a watery detangler that does not contain alcohol or protein? I have seen detanglers with one or the other, but none without them both.

Isis said:
Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic is watery and detangles exceptionally well.

This one is great, but contains vegetable protein. (which is not harmful in any way)

Ladylynn,

There are some great, moisturizing watery leave-ins out there with protein.

Last edited:
Supergirl said:
This one is great, but contains vegetable protein. (which is not harmful in any way)

Ladylynn,

There are some great, moisturizing watery leave-ins out there with protein.

Thanks Supergirl, but won't the protein damage my hair if used everyday. I want to start moisturizing everyday and I'm using leave in conditioners/detanglers sealed with some olive oil. I normally use Pantene or Baby love, but this time around, they don't seem to be detangling well. I'm now 12-13 weeks post relaxer. The last time I stretched, I used these detanglers and the outcome was great. Soft detangled hair all the time, but I wasn't using it everyday. So I was thinking that maybe it was the protein. I don't know.

Ladylynn said:
Thanks Supergirl, but won't the protein damage my hair if used everyday. I want to start moisturizing everyday and I'm using leave in conditioners/detanglers sealed with some olive oil. I normally use Pantene or Baby love, but this time around, they don't seem to be detangling well. I'm now 12-13 weeks post relaxer. The last time I stretched, I used these detanglers and the outcome was great. Soft detangled hair all the time, but I wasn't using it everyday. So I was thinking that maybe it was the protein. I don't know.

No, there is an unnecessary fear on this board of proteins. Proteins are good for the integrity of your hair. However, you wouldn't want to overuse any hard core protein treatments like Aphogee, Emergencee, or Dudley DRC. That would cause brittleness. I also would not recommend using a leave-in with collagen or hydrolyzed keratin every day. These are good for weekly use or 2X/week use.

Any other protein is fine for daily use and will likely improve your hair with moisture and/or elasticity and enough strength to fortify your hair without making it brittle.

With all that said, if you are looking for a spray leave-in, my top recommendation is Deep Brilliance Manage. It has a wonderful concoction of moisturizing, softening, and reinforcing proteins as well as great ingredients like wheat germ and jojoba oil.

If you are interested in a creamy type leave-in. Sheamoisture Leave-In Conditioner (www.sheamoisture.com) and Neutrogena Silk Touch are great.

The key with all leave-ins, especially creamy ones, is to use them sparingly. If you apply too much, the hair does come out kind of hard.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Okay, let me see. I got this recepie off of a board for Long Hair women (mostly caucasion on this board), but it seemed to work well.

10 oz. water
10 drops glycerin (I used two tsp.)
2 tsp of panthenol
Then I added I think 2 TBS of Aloe Vera Oil. You can probably use any other kind of oil you want (except a heavy oil).

It works so well for me on dry hair. Just used it this morning...hair feels soft.

Supergirl said:
No, there is an unnecessary fear on this board of proteins. Proteins are good for the integrity of your hair. However, you wouldn't want to overuse any hard core protein treatments like Aphogee, Emergencee, or Dudley DRC. That would cause brittleness. I also would not recommend using a leave-in with collagen or hydrolyzed keratin every day. These are good for weekly use or 2X/week use.

Any other protein is fine for daily use and will likely improve your hair with moisture and/or elasticity and enough strength to fortify your hair without making it brittle.

With all that said, if you are looking for a spray leave-in, my top recommendation is Deep Brilliance Manage. It has a wonderful concoction of moisturizing, softening, and reinforcing proteins as well as great ingredients like wheat germ and jojoba oil.

If you are interested in a creamy type leave-in. Sheamoisture Leave-In Conditioner (www.sheamoisture.com) and Neutrogena Silk Touch are great.

The key with all leave-ins, especially creamy ones, is to use them sparingly. If you apply too much, the hair does come out kind of hard.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, Supergirl. I think I'll give the deep brilliance manage a try. Can this be found at most BSS?

hot_pepper96 said:
Okay, let me see. I got this recepie off of a board for Long Hair women (mostly caucasion on this board), but it seemed to work well.

10 oz. water
2 tsp of panthenol
Then I added I think 2 TBS of Aloe Vera Oil. You can probably use any other kind of oil you want (except a heavy oil).

It works so well for me on dry hair. Just used it this morning...hair feels soft.

hot_pepper: Where do I get glycerin, panthenol and aloe vera oil from?

hot_pepper96 said:

10 oz. water
2 tsp of panthenol

thanks for posting this hot pepper!

Back