Mizani or Affirm relaxer??

relaxedhair

I've read a lot of posts on both of these relaxers but I'm really confused. For a sensitive 4a/b scalp what would be the best sodium hydroxide relaxer? I really want to try Mizani but I'm concerned about burning before it's processed. Affirm doesn't burn so bad and is easy to find in the u.k but I don't think it makes my hair bone straight. I will be paying attention when I do a strand test with affirm, but how harsh is Mizani regular?

relaxedhair said:
I've read a lot of posts on both of these relaxers but I'm really confused. For a sensitive 4a/b scalp what would be the best sodium hydroxide relaxer? I really want to try Mizani but I'm concerned about burning before it's processed. Affirm doesn't burn so bad and is easy to find in the u.k but I don't think it makes my hair bone straight. I will be paying attention when I do a strand test with affirm, but how harsh is Mizani regular?

I don't know about Mizani or Affirm but, I use Vitale (Concorde because I have thick but coarse-resistant hair). I, too was afraid of burning when it came to a lye relaxer but, I can honestly say that I didn't burn not one bit with Vitale. Now, if your hair is not coarse, then you could get away with the Life and Body Formula. Both are sold in most BSS and in the states both are under $6.00. I liked the availabilty, the price, and most importantly the results.

Reminder, base with all products.

Yeah Affirm and Mizani are different. One is by Avlon, the other l'oreal but they are both top of the range relaxers. I WAS wondering about the Accord and you say it doesn't burn like the Life and Body also doesn't burn? Vitale seems to have it together. The straightening results are good too? My hair never seems to straighten completely. It's thick, 4a/b and is kinky! I would love to roll out the super like a few guys do on here but I got a really sensitive scalp too.

I've never tried Affirm but i love love love Mizani. I have coarse thick 4a/b hair as well. I use Mizani regular. I have never ever been underprocessed by mizani. Even earlier this year i had irritated scalp and scratched it and got a relaxer the next day. it burned like hail...but the total relaxer process was like 10mins (didn't have much time to smoothe) and my hair still came out bone straight. Normally my relaxer time is only 12-14mins and it's always silky straight. Everytime i see someone with bonestraight, silky shiny hair with body i'll always assume it's a mizani relaxer they have...and 9 times out of 10 i've been right. I haven't tried the mizani mild yet...so i'm unsure if it will process my hair just as good....maybe one day i will.

My last relaxer in September was an affirm. I have been using design essential for years but it was making my scalp burn. I didn't burn at all with affirm for sensitive scalp. I plan to stick with that one.

Thankyou guys for your recommendations! I think I'm going to try Mizani, I want STRAIGHT hair for once. If it's too much I'll just change back to affirm.

Hi Jerseydyme :D (relaxed hair care board) I saw some pics of your rollerset and your hair looks really really lovely.

I def suggest Mizani as well. This past weekend I got my first relaxer in 2.5 years and I chose Mizani because that was the last relaxer I used before I went natural and it was the best one I've ever had.

My hair came out looking really good! My stylist used Mizani Medium (and if you're in the UK I recommend Laila at Hype Coiffure in Brixton). I've had braids in my hair which I took out two weeks ago, put in cornrows for a week, and then rocked a fro for the last couple of days before my relaxer and my scalp was fine.

Hope that helps!

relaxedhair said:
Thankyou guys for your recommendations! I think I'm going to try Mizani, I want STRAIGHT hair for once. If it's too much I'll just change back to affirm.

Hi Jerseydyme :D (relaxed hair care board) I saw some pics of your rollerset and your hair looks really really lovely.

Thanks you :)

Good luck with the mizani! I've been using it for over 2 years now and will never use anything else! A warning though, it doesn't get my hair straight at ALL, but then again, I don't give it the chance to..and if you have a sensitive scalp, I strongly suggest you base first! I base with grease the day before and then again with relaxer base on the day of.

Thanks guys for all ya help :) My next relaxer will be Mizani!!! I will base carefully too Jerseydyme. :grin: Cheers guys!

Last edited:
when i got touchups, i always went with affirm. i remember my hair being pretty healthy when using it. one day, i went to a different stylist and she didn't have affirm. but she said "oh you can use the mizani then" as if using one was like using the other. i noticed my hair seems straighter with the mizani. i haven't used it again (transitioning).

Back