Mixing WGHO with sulphur powder for MTG Alternative?

Ladyhenri

I have been :brainy: of a little idea after reading one of DEN1's posts on mixing her own MTG.
As y'all know, the main ingredient in MTG that makes hair grow is pure sulphur (the yellow one). Den1 makes her MTG by mixing sulphur with a favourite oil (hope i aint quoting you wrong girl).
MTG makes my hair grow but it makes my hair hard too:mad: (though at the mo, i still use it;))...and the smell??...neednt say more!!
WGHO makes my hair nice and soft (hence preventing breakage) but it grows at a snails pace! It also contains loads of good oils like Quote from bottle: ' Olive oil, Jojoba oil, Coconut oil...etc'
My little idea is to mix some WGHO with pure sulphur powder so that i can get the growth rate of MTG but the softness of WGHO...get it?

Please tell me your opinions on this little experiment. If it will be risky, i'll just get a simple oil (ie pure coconut oil) for my mixture.

Need advice ...:confused:
If poss, when responding give detailed reasons why you think it may or may not work?
Thanks girls:lachen:

I think a lot of women mix their sulphur powder w/ WGO- which is what I'm going to do next because you get the best of both worlds- soft new growth and faster growth. Currently, I use castor oil and lemon oil.
HTH

FlawedBeauty

determined_to_grow said:
I think a lot of women mix their sulphur powder w/ WGO- which is what I'm going to do next because you get the best of both worlds- soft new growth and faster growth. Currently, I use castor oil and lemon oil.
HTH

do you know how much sulfur is used to mix in with the WGO? Also where can i find sulfur powder, and will using too much result in possible breakage?? Last question, has anyone tried both and found that they have the same results using the MTG as if they were to use the WGO/Sulfur mix?

Ladyhenri

determined_to_grow said:
HTH

I'm glad that other people have tried this.
After reading Den1's post i got really excited and immiedately oredered some sulphur. I think when it arrives i will be mixing it with WGHO...

need to find Den1 and ask her more questions:look:

Ladyhenri

FlawedBeauty said:
do you know how much sulfur is used to mix in with the WGO? Also where can i find sulfur powder, and will using too much result in possible breakage?? Last question, has anyone tried both and found that they have the same results using the MTG as if they were to use the WGO/Sulfur mix?

Hey girl...i'm not sure how much sulphur shoud be mixed. Den1 uses her 32ounce MTG bottle and fills bottom half inch with sulphur then fills the rest of the bottle with her favourite oils.

I intend to find out if i can pour more sulphur into my concoction.

Den1 says she has better results with sulphur plus oil mix; quite a few people in her thread intend to try this out as well...
( note to self)need to find that thread.

mrsmeredith

My sulphur powder is as follows: 2 tsp sulphur powder, 3 oz coconut oil, half ounce of each olive oil, almond oil, castor oil (actually should have used 2 oz coconut oil and 1.5 oz of castor oil), and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil.

Also, you can purchase sulphur locally at any drug store or store that has a pharmacy. I live in Memphis and I purchased mine from Piggly wiggly grocery store for :)$2.69, 4 oz flowers of sulphur.

Ladyhenri

mrsmeredith said:
My sulphur powder is as follows: 2 tsp sulphur powder, 3 oz coconut oil, half ounce of each olive oil, almond oil, castor oil (actually should have used 2 oz coconut oil and 1.5 oz of castor oil), and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil.

Also, you can purchase sulphur locally at any drug store or store that has a pharmacy. I live in Memphis and I purchased mine from Piggly wiggly grocery store for :)$2.69, 4 oz flowers of sulphur.

Thanks for this reply....outta curiousity, if you have more than the above amount of sulphur in your mix, what happens to your hair?

mrsmeredith

I have no clue. But it seems to thicken after a while anyway though. I let it sit for a few days before I use it. I shake it up a few times during the waiting period though. I guess its whatever works for you. More or less could achieve different results with everyone, so it depends on the person. Also, a big plus is NOOOO dandruff EVER:) since using sulphur powder instead of sulphur eight (which is good too).

The amount I use elimates the smell. I have used more in the past and it smelled like it too geesh. But my daughter edges grew back in 2 weeks time with that solution.

Measurements are based on the size of the bottle you use to mix. I use a 4 oz bottle so I fill it with about 1.5 of sulphur and the rest in oil. I am going to bump Den1 thread on her mix, also look in the hair recipes section and you can find more information.

I have used my alternative for about 3 weeks off and on and I don't have any breakage! I think you will be fine as long as you find the proper mix - my new growth is way to coily/ my hair is underprocessed in certain areas so I can't really tell how much growth I get. However, I did flat iron my hair last week and the longest layer was a little past APL- although I recently cut about an inch off.

Overall, I tried MTG when I had braids and my hair did get longer but I stopped because of the smell and the price. I've used the alternative and now I'm at APL. So both works - you just have to be patient.

FlawedBeauty said:

Ladyhenri

very helpful response...i will try using my old WGHO which is four ounces...willl also do a bit more research

PS- COngrats on reaching Armpit length:clapping:

Ladyhenri

mrsmeredith said:
I have no clue. But it seems to thicken after a while anyway though. I let it sit for a few days before I use it. I shake it up a few times during the waiting period though. I guess its whatever works for you. More or less could achieve different results with everyone, so it depends on the person. Also, a big plus is NOOOO dandruff EVER:) since using sulphur powder instead of sulphur eight (which is good too).

The amount I use elimates the smell. I have used more in the past and it smelled like it too geesh. But my daughter edges grew back in 2 weeks time with that solution.

I'd be happy with no dandruff and fuller edges.:lol:

KathyMay

I have been thinking about making my own mixture but I plan to use my empty WGHO bottles for my mixture. Thinking about it makes sense to use an empty MTG bottle for the big mixture and then pour it into the WGO bottles. I plan on mixing it with EVOO and a tad bit of WGHO.

Now I have a question, where can I buy sulphur powder?

Aveena

Henrietta said:
Hey girl...i'm not sure how much sulphur shoud be mixed. Den1 uses her 32ounce MTG bottle and fills bottom half inch with sulphur then fills the rest of the bottle with her favourite oils.

I intend to find out if i can pour more sulphur into my concoction.

Den1 says she has better results with sulphur plus oil mix; quite a few people in her thread intend to try this out as well...
( note to self)need to find that thread.

I saved it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing....Here it is ....
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=78901

Ladyhenri

KathyMay said:
I have been thinking about making my own mixture but I plan to use my empty WGHO bottles for my mixture. Thinking about it makes sense to use an empty MTG bottle for the big mixture and then pour it into the WGO bottles. I plan on mixing it with EVOO and a tad bit of WGHO.

Now I have a question, where can I buy sulphur powder?

I got mine from ebay...When buying, look for fine powdered 100% sulphur. Its usually yellow. The one used in the MTG bottle's also yellow .;)

AtlantaJJ

mrsmeredith said:

You my dear are a natural born chemist!!!:lol: Brilliant!

gymfreak336

That is a great idea. I have been working on a creme base to put my sulphur in but your idea might be easier. I might but go buy squirt bottle and mix some up today. Have you decided what percentage you are going to use?

chiprecious

Ok, not that I should be listened to because my sulfur powder is still in the mail, but from reading various posts, too much can be a bad thing.
1. Yellow residue within a day or too
2. Allergic reaction from the sulfur not being diluted with enough oil
3. Too much sulfur can equal brittle hair. I know the oils are there to difuse this, but I think a little goes a long way.
Just from what I read....

Henrietta said:
Thanks for this reply....outta curiousity, if you have more than the above amount of sulphur in your mix, what happens to your hair?

Ladyhenri

chiprecious said:
Ok, not that I should be listened to because my sulfur powder is still in the mail, but from reading various posts, too much can be a bad thing.
1. Yellow residue within a day or too
2. Allergic reaction from the sulfur not being diluted with enough oil
3. Too much sulfur can equal brittle hair. I know the oils are there to difuse this, but I think a little goes a long way.
Just from what I read....

Hmm...I think of these 3 disadvantages, no 2 scared me more...Pre- pooing always helps my brittleness and yellow residues can be washed away...however allergies...:eek:
Thanks for this. I wont be too heavy handed with the sulphur....But that being said WGHO makes my hair really soft so i think it may also balance out the brittleness from the sulphu
r.

AtlantaJJ

MSM Crystals in Oils???

Could this have a simular growth stimulating effect when mixed with oils as sulfur?? I have cyrstalized MSN...wondering.

Has anyone tried this??:confused:

omnipadme

I mixed my WGHO with about 5 capsules of msm powder and i've had great results. I just make sure I shake it up well before each application

shiningstar84

wow i feel a pj attack coming on. there is no piggly wiggly near me so i'll have to hold off unless i see some sulfur powder in walmart. then it's gone be on!

AtlantaJJ

omnipadme said:
I mixed my WGHO with about 5 capsules of msm powder and i've had great results. I just make sure I shake it up well before each application

I think I've read that MSM helps to soften the texture of the hair as well. I think I'm going to try the oil with the MSM crystals to see what results I get since I have some on hand. I'll just add it to my WHGO. Later I'll get the sulphur to compair. It's worth a shot... I think I have read other's on the board that have done simular.

Ladyhenri

Re: MSM Crystals in Oils???

AtlantaJJ said:
Could this have a simular growth stimulating effect when mixed with oils as sulfur?? I have cyrstalized MSN...wondering.

I think i read in another thread that Sulpur dissolves in oil, while MSM dissolves in water:confused:? Not sure

perhaps you should try and mix a liitle MSM with a little oil and see if it works? ;)

Ladyhenri

AtlantaJJ said:
I think I've read that MSM helps to soften the texture of the hair as well. I think I'm going to try the oil with the MSM crystals to see what results I get since I have some on hand. I'll just add it to my WHGO. Later I'll get the sulphur to compair. It's worth a shot... I think I have read other's on the board that have done simular.

OOPs!!
replied b4 seeing this post:)

AtlantaJJ

Henrietta said:
I think i read in another thread that Sulpur dissolves in oil, while MSM dissolves in water:confused:? Not sure

perhaps you should try and mix a liitle MSM with a little oil and see if it works? ;)

Oooh, I'm glad I saw your post before I started mixing like a mad scientist around here. I better do a little research !!!

Aveena

AtlantaJJ said:

I think I read somewhere on this forum that MSM mixes better in water and yellow sulfur in oil.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
You can also get Sulfur at CVS, just go to the pharmacy and ask if they have Flowers of Sulfur or sublimated sulfur