Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time...

Aggie

Miss Jessie Curly Pudding....Substitute??
This is a recipe started by sugaplum a while back but because the recipe is in the Natural Forum, it was not getting much responses lately. I think because I am newly texlaxed, I am very interested in something like this and I feel that in these hard economic times we who are unemployed can use something like this to help our curls pop, but inexpensively. I think more input from the texlaxed/natural haired ladies in the hair forum would be helpful too. What do you think ladies? Sugaplum, where are you girlie and are you still using this recipe?

Here's the original link to this recipe:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=59472

And in the words of sugaplum:

Hello Ladies, :wave:

I'm in the process of transitiong and I will be doing the BIG BC this weekend. Wish me luck. :grin:

As I was searching the website for new products I will be using on my new natural, I cam across the "miss Jessie Curly Pudding." This looks wonderful...but I wish I could say that about the price!! :shocked: :lol:

So I did a serch on "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Substitute" and I came across this:
__________________________________________________ _______________

I like the curly pudding and buttercreme but they are a bit much on the pocket book considering the amount of hair I have so I made my own. I think it's nice these girls hit on some thing but It's not really any thing new. Take a look for your self. I came up with 3 products that you can buy @ walgreens for under $7 bucks and mix together for a hold b/t the buttercreme and the pudding. If you want to buy Miss Jessies for special occations or something, great, but if you need an every day solution to looking good please try this at least once.

Miss Jessie’s:

Curly Pudding : 16 oz $28ea

Water, vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet alomond oil, milk protien, Vitamin E, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil, fragrance.

Baby Buttercreme: 16 oz $42ea

Acetylated lanolin bees wax, shea butter, cocoa butter, carbomer 940, castor oil, deionized water, dilauraralaneth15 , fragrance, glycerin, glycerin state, glyceryl hydrolyzed animal protien, imidazolidinyl,
Jojoba oil, laneth15, mineral oil, methyl, paraben , milk protien, panthenol, paraffin, peg-400, peg 100 state, petrolatum, placenta, propal paraben, triethanolamine, urea, vitamin E, wheat germ oil.

I’ve tried miss Jessie’s and I’ve made my own and mine works just the same, AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE INGREDIENCE @ SALLYS!.

PROCLAIM Curl Activator Gel 32 oz FOR $3

Water Aqua , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hyaluronic Acid , Panthenol , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Benzophenone-4 , Disodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin Fragrance Parfum ,

COCOACARE : cocoa butter stick 1 oz $0.99ea

PROCLAIM : petrolium bees wax 4oz $2.19

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

3 STICKS COCOA BUTTER

1/2 OF JAR OF BEESWAX 2oz

1 32 oz TUB CURL ACTIVATOR

Begin by taking the cocoa butter sticks and placing them in a bowl. Scoop out 1/2 jar of bees wax and place it in the same bowl. Microwave bees wax and cocoa butter until they are liquid. Use an other larger bowl to put the curl activator it. Leave some curl activator inside of the jar for later. Take liquid wax and cocoa butter and pour it into the bowl with the curl activator. Mix vigorously with a spoon. what you will first get while mixing these the two may look like cellulite but be persistant and keep mixing until the mixture looks exactly like vanilla pudding then mix in remander of activator gel in the jar.

If you do not microvave the bees wax well enough it will clump up when you add it to the cold gel activator it may bead up and not allow you to get the perfectly smooth consistancy that you want. If this happens put the whole solution in the microwave for 4 minutes then beging to mix again. after about 2 minutes of mixing add back in the curl activator you left out from before and it should begin to look like pudding.

Apply to wet hair and style using shingling process discribed @ curvesalon.com. or how ever you wish.

This recipe on one average head of hair will last for about 2 months, and costs under 10 dollars, with some bees wax left over to haddle those pesky edge naps. I hope this has been helpful and I hope it works for you

Last edited:

Ericka

Re: Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time.

Oh I'm definitely trying this.

Thanks a lot

beans4reezy

Re: Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time.

Thanks for this post Aggie. Question: do you think this would work well on texturized hair too?

BlondeByDesire

Wow I'll have to keep this recipe for when I'm fully natural - subscribing

Aggie

Thanks for this post Aggie. Question: do you think this would work well on texturized hair too?

Oh yes I believe it will. I don't know how well it will work onbone straight relaxed hair though. It may help as a great smoother for bunning however.

Aggie

Ladies a couple of things I was able to add that makes it perfect for me was to add a little unrefined shea butter, rubbed carefully in my hands until melted and put over hair as a sealant or use jojoba or coconut oil. They all worked well for me.

Some may add a little glycerine to their mix for added moisture. I believe some ladies love castor oil for the same reason and if you would like to add a little honey, I believe that would be okay too but I would do a test run first and see how it works before putting it in an entire batch firsthand. Just some ideas I have been toying with in my mind as to what other products might make this mixture even better for my hair.

Caution Note: Glycerine is a humectant that work best when the humidity in your area is at least 65% or you would get the reverse effect from it. In other words, glycerine pull/attract moisture out of the air but if there isn't enough in the air, it they would pull the moisture from the next best closest place, which unfortunately will be from your scalp. If the humidity is 65% or above, then it would be okay to use it.

Those who try it with different additions, please let us know how it turned out for you. Some may also find that they may have to use less beeswax than what's recommended in the recipe.

MochaEyeCandy

I'm planning to try this recipe with Proclaim Aloe Gel, beeswax, and unrefined shea butter. I'll let you know how it turns out. :yep:

ETA ingredients of aloe gel: WATER ,PVP ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE ,CARBOMER ,DISODIUM EDTA ,TRIETHANOLAMINE ,FRAGRANCE ,POLYSORBATE 20 ,METHYLPARABEN ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,LINALOOL ,GERANIOL

Is there anything in it I need to be concerned about?

Aggie

I'm planning to try this recipe with Proclaim Aloe Gel, beeswax, and unrefined shea butter. I'll let you know how it turns out. :yep:

ETA ingredients of aloe gel: WATER ,PVP ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE ,CARBOMER ,DISODIUM EDTA ,TRIETHANOLAMINE ,FRAGRANCE ,POLYSORBATE 20 ,METHYLPARABEN ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,LINALOOL ,GERANIOL

Is there anything in it I need to be concerned about?

Ooooh, that aloe vera gel sounds like a very good idea Mocha. I can't wait to hear about your results. Although, be careful how you heat the shea butter as it loses it's properties if not allowed to heat a lot slower than the cocoa butter and beeswax.

MochaEyeCandy

Ooooh, that aloe vera gel sounds like a very good idea Mocha. I can't wait to hear about your results. Although, be careful how you heat the shea butter as it loses it's properties if not allowed to heat a lot slower than the cocoa butter and beeswax.
I plan to put the shea butter in a plastic container, then immerse the container in hot water like I do with my coconut oil.

Aggie

I plan to put the shea butter in a plastic container, then immerse the container in hot water like I do with my coconut oil.

Almost like a double boiler, good idea.

Aggie

BUMPING....anybody else like to add something to this method.

cluelezz

I've made this before. I used World of Curls activator gel. I've never used Miss Jessie's, but this recipe gives me good definition.

Aggie

I've made this before. I used World of Curls activator gel. I've never used Miss Jessie's, but this recipe gives me good definition.

Thanks for sharing cluelazz. I don't know if I can find world of curls gel here in the Bahamas. I'll look around in the Bss's some more.

vkb247

I never tried this recipe because I could never find plain old beeswax. The 100% beeswax I found in the store had ingredients I try not to use. Any suggestions ladies?

OT: You are going to BC Aggie? I can't wait to see the pics!

Aggie

I never tried this recipe because I could never find plain old beeswax. The 100% beeswax I found in the store had ingredients I try not to use. Any suggestions ladies?

OT: You are going to BC Aggie? I can't wait to see the pics!

Yup, I haven't decided when yet, maybe in a month or two.

By the way, I didn't know there was such a thing as 100% beeswax. Off to research.

oreoday99

Thank you so much for this receipe. I actually used:
1/2 cup of shea butter
4oz jar of Fantastix organic bee's wax (the whole jar because I didn't think I had enough shea butter half a cup was all I had left)
1 32oz tub of Long Aid activator Gel
Plus a few drops of Lemongrass EO (I just love the smell)

It came out great and my hair feels so soft plus my twist out is super curly. I haven't tried the shingling thing yet but I may try it this weekend and see what happens. I'll tell you one thing, I've definitely got enough 'curly pudding' to last me a couple of months. LOL

Thanks again for posting the receipe.

Aggie

Thank you so much for this receipe. I actually used:
1/2 cup of shea butter
4oz jar of Fantastix organic bee's wax (the whole jar because I didn't think I had enough shea butter half a cup was all I had left)
1 32oz tub of Long Aid activator Gel
Plus a few drops of Lemongrass EO (I just love the smell)

It came out great and my hair feels so soft plus my twist out is super curly. I haven't tried the shingling thing yet but I may try it this weekend and see what happens. I'll tell you one thing, I've definitely got enough 'curly pudding' to last me a couple of months. LOL

Thanks again for posting the receipe.
Whoa, I didn't know that bee's wax can be organic. Thanks for posting this. By the way, your hair is very pretty in your siggy.

MsEllie

going to try this

oreoday99

Whoa, I didn't know that bee's wax can be organic. Thanks for posting this. By the way, your hair is very pretty in your siggy.

Thank you and I'll post pictures of my new curly pudding style whenever I get the chance.

Phoenix14

I tried this last summer and it worked okay. However,the glycerin made me break out.

Phoenix14

I tried this last summer and it worked okay. However,the glycerin made me break out.

beans4reezy

Oh yes I believe it will. I don't know how well it will work onbone straight relaxed hair though. It may help as a great smoother for bunning however.

You are always so helpful. Thank you Aggie!

oreoday99

Hi,
My signature is the rests of a twist out using the home made curly pudding. My curls looked beautiful and they were enlongated. Thanks again

kurlybella

^^ pretty oreo!

Phoenix14

Is it the glyceerine in the curl activator or you added extra glycerine to your mix?

I think it was the glycerin in the curl activator.

Aggie

I think it was the glycerin in the curl activator.

Okay this means that the humidity level in your area is too low at this time. The humidity haas be at least 65% or above if you want to use glycerine or glycerine containing products. Bare in mind that it is a humectant and if there is not enough moisture in the air around you for it to draw, then what happens is, it draws moisture from the next colsest place, which happens to be your scalp unfortunately.

Aggie

Hi,
My signature is the rests of a twist out using the home made curly pudding. My curls looked beautiful and they were enlongated. Thanks again

Thanks a lot oreo for the review. I'm glad it turned out well for you.