MAYONAISE AS A PROTEIN TREATMENT

Wolftrap

Does anyone use mayo as a protein conditioner? (Yes regular ol' Hellmans Mayo from the your fridge). If so is it better than maybe emergencee or other protein treatments on the market? How often can you use Mayo? I used Mayo and Castor Oil the other night as a pretreatment and my hair came out GREAT! I used the castor oil because some on the board have said it thickens up fine hair. I want to use this mixture weekly and wanted to know if it was ok to use Mayo on a weekly basis. Also do you guys mix the mayo with anything else? Egg, or EVOO?

Nice

I am sure there are others!

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
I am sure there are others!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't laugh at me. I know there are others because I have seen it mentioned here before AND it was recommended to me from someone else on this board the other day.

Nice

I know that there are others

I can't wait to give you method a try this weekend. I will do it from home and then go to the hairdresser the castor oil and mayonaise still on my hair. BTW, where did you get your castor oil from?

webby

Think Slim
I'm glad that you posted this. I used to always use mayo and egg whites, when I was a girl and my mother didn't see the need to buy "expensive" hair products.

I'm gonna have to bust out a jar of mayo.

ElecEngnr

Some months ago, maybe 4 or 5, I mixed mayo (generic brand) and honey and did a deep condition. All I remember is that it made my hair really hard, I had to follow up with Suave conditioner just to get a comb through it. I really can't recall if it made my hair stronger.

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
ElecEngnr said:
Some months ago, maybe 4 or 5, I mixed mayo (generic brand) and honey and did a deep condition. All I remember is that it made my hair really hard, I had to follow up with Suave conditioner just to get a comb through it. I really can't recall if it made my hair stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe mayo and honey don't mix well. But I have used egg, mayo and EVOO together and that was excellent. My hair was so soft and shiny.

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I'm glad that you posted this. I used to always use mayo and egg whites, when I was a girl and my mother didn't see the need to buy "expensive" hair products.

I'm gonna have to bust out a jar of mayo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I was begining to think I was a lunatic or something cuz no one has either used mayo or wasn't admitting to using it.

KinksnCurlz

my sister (who is a natural) use to do that (eggs/mayo) all the time. Her hair has ALWAYS been shiny and healthy. She hasn't done it in years but still...her hair is shiny and healthy

nijilah

Just wanted to let you know that when I was transitioning, I did this often, as a pre-shampoo treatment. It made my hair very soft and shiny. I think that it is an excellent and cheap way of taking care of hair. I am going to start doing this again.

Honi

There is no board.
When I was a kid in high school I used Hellmann's mayo and I remember it stunk while it was marinating in my hair and left it really hard. I didn't use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. This was before the boards. I think the reason it was really rough was because of the vinegar.

You can make your own with just eggs and oil sans the vinegar though. I've never tried it but I can imagine it not making your hair feel as rough.

zoya_j

I tried this today. I mixed 6 tb. spoons of mayonaise, 2 tbsp of evoo, 1tbsp avocado oil, 2tbsp of castor oil 10 drops of sage oil and 12 drops of lavender oil. then i heated it for a few seconds and then put it on my hair in sections. I put my heat cap for an hour then rinsed with warm water. I shampooed, and left jason biotin conditioner on my hair for about an hour then rinsed with cold water and did a roller set. My hair is very bouncy and shiny. I'll post pics later /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Bumping!! Has anyone tried this? I am giving it another chance but this time I will be shampooing after instead of deep conditioning with heat and not shampooing afterwards.

gorgeoushair

Okay ya'll i mixed a little in my conditioner but where exactly is the protein in the mayo. I didn't see it on the nutrition info.

jrae

Re: MAYONNAISE AS A PROTEIN TREATMENT

I try to use it a couple times a month. I put it on dry hair and let it sit for a half-hour or more (while I clean around the house) and I follow it with a moisturizing conditioner.

The protein comes from eggs.

INGREDIENTS:

Hellmann's:

Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

Best Foods:

Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).

jasmine26

i remember my dad using mayo and eggs on my hair when i was a young kid. I remember that i hated the smell and it made my hair very hard. I would try it again but i remember that it does get messy:(

SignatureBeauty

I use to use eggs & mayo with a little castor oil, but every since ORS came out their Hair Mayo it works like charm and has the right amount of protein in it, I also use Silk Elements Hair Mayo it is cheaper than ORS but has about the same ingredients and works like a charm also.

blackhair

I overlooked this thread. I use Mayo + evoo at least twice a week.
I let it sit about 1 hour or two with a cap and then rinse very well with a tab of conditioner.

This is the TRUE for me. I am relaxed and it stenghtens my hair like no other product. I am trying to use natural products as much as possible. This treatment has improved the strand/texture of my hair sooo much.

Of course this is a protein and It will harden your hair.
Mayo and Henna are my natural protein treatments.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
ElecEngnr said:

Sounds like a side effect of protein conditioners;) ....I used to use mayo and got great results..made my already thick hair even thicker & strong..will be doing this on the weekend

Jas123

The Star of a Story
gorgeoushair said:
Okay ya'll i mixed a little in my conditioner but where exactly is the protein in the mayo. I didn't see it on the nutrition info.

The eggs in mayo is the source of protein

Jas123

The Star of a Story
gorgeoushair said:

The protein comes from all of the egg yolks in mayo

LovelyLionessa

I'm curious can you use mayo in the hair and sit under the dryer with it? Or do you guys use it without heat? I'm curious about this, but I don't want to end up with scrambled eggs in my hair. :confused:

dstdiva

Recherch鮂eauty said:
I did it when I was doing my relaxer and I was amazed...

i used mayo once before (about 1 month ago). my hair came out really well. when using it with your perm, you put it on your dry hair before applying the perm?

SparklingFlame

I remember I used to do this in high school. I may have to revisit this tomorrow cuz my hair is mushy and I need some protien. I'm cheap and dont want to buy commercial treatments ie Aphogee (i'm scuured of that stuff!)

Hope fully this will work. For some reason I dont know how this turned out when I used to do it as a teenager. :perplexed