Lye to Lithium?

Lady S

I'm thinking about switching from Lye to No-Lye and I know there's a risk of breakage. But is the risk the same if you switch to a lithium relaxer instead of a calcium hydroxide relaxer?

tnorenberg

If the Lithium is the same as Thio based straighteners or Thermal Straighterners like Bio Ionic or Japanese systems, you are right. For me it was more like melting instead of breaking. Even going from Lye to Thio based straighteners you need to get a good 4 to 6 mos of good growth before application because just the two chemicals coming contact will cause breakage. HTH

gymfreak336

I didn't have any breakage when I switched. I went from using Mizani mild to Hawaiian silky no lye no mix (lithium hydroxide).

I just rubbed moisurizier on my previous relaxed hair as usual.

If the Lithium is the same as Thio based straighteners or Thermal Straighterners like Bio Ionic or Japanese systems, you are right. For me it was more like melting instead of breaking. Even going from Lye to Thio based straighteners you need to get a good 4 to 6 mos of good growth before application because just the two chemicals coming contact will cause breakage. HTH

it's not the same. lithium hydroxide relaxers are no lye relaxers. lithium hydroxide is used instead of calcium hydroxide/ guanidine carbonate mixture.

Lady S

i've never haerd of lithium relaxers. who makes them?

Most the no mix no lye relaxers are lithium based instead of the no lye kits that you mix that are calcium hydroxide based. TCB & Hawaiian Silky are the two that instantly come to mind.