Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2015/2016

Dee Raven

I've been feeling the desire to straighten my hair, so I decided to use the Ouidad Curl Recovery this week in preparation for that. And boy does that stuff work. I left it in for about 20 minutes and my curls are popping on a whole other level in my wash n go. It's almost making me not want to straighten it.

faithVA

I want to buy some strawlers. :look:

I have been moisturizing and sealing my ends so I think my hair is doing well. I get my growth spurt in the fall so I'm just trying to keep the hair I have on my head.

And 7 years after getting into healthy hair practices I finally ordered a hair catcher for my drain. Life changing.

:lol: I can't imagine being without a hair catcher especially with hair as long as yours.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am going to wash and dc today (with heat)
I have to keep these ends healthy and strong until I can trim them off.

faithVA

I blew my hair dry and took off about 1/2". Now I have my ends at a good starting point. Hopefully I can keep them in a good condition and not have to trim before the end of June. Hopefully the moisture from more frequent water rinses will help me to retain.

BlowDryFront031715.jpg

BlowDryBack031715.jpg

claud-uk

I finally ordered some decent scissors ($30) this morning on Amazon, they'll be here tomorrow. Very excited, I think I'll spend a few days thoroughly S&D then do an all-over trim to even things up.

Also, I picked up a bottle of braggs amino acids at the weekend so will be searching the forum on how others use this, will probably get a small spritz bottle and create some kind of protein-rich liquid to focus on my ends.

LivingInPeace

I did a rollerset last night which turned out really nice and full. I wanted to get my hair straightish so that I can trim it on Friday. But I'm torn between doing an overall trim and just doing a thorough search and destroy.

faithVA

I did a rollerset last night which turned out really nice and full. I wanted to get my hair straightish so that I can trim it on Friday. But I'm torn between doing an overall trim and just doing a thorough search and destroy.

When was the last time you trimmed?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I moisturized with Ntm Silk touch cream and sealed with Loreal total repair split end serum/oil. It has ceramides and I literally had to wash my hands to get the residue off. That means my moisture should stay put for a couple days. I will moisturize and seal again on Friday.

almond eyes

I blew my hair dry and took off about 1/2". Now I have my ends at a good starting point. Hopefully I can keep them in a good condition and not have to trim before the end of June. Hopefully the moisture from more frequent water rinses will help me to retain.

View attachment 300961

View attachment 300963

Looks good. Be dilligent with your protein treatments. Even though water does soften the hair and not using product cuts down on the wash and tear elements, the water stream of the shower can effect the elasticity and the natural proteins in the hair. This is certain the case for women with fine strands.

Even though I advocate water rinses to soften the hair and refresh the hair without the co wash. I think women who have fine hair do not have to do it everyday and should keep up with their protein treatments. I did the water only somewhat (meaning I still kept up with my conditioning, DCs and Protein treatments) for six months straight and my problems began when I stopped doing my protein treatments in January. So, I ended up dusting just a bit. I still believe that with the water only method, since your natural sebum is in effect, you do not have to use oils and moisturisers on the root of your hair but on my shaft and ends those are the areas I work on. But I also believe that if you are not using products that dry out your hair, your sebum will still be there just remember that yes it does need a bit of help to make sure it goes beyond the root. I am not as obsessed with the whole sebum issue as in the past, we all have it. But yes some products do dry it out along with drying out the hair too.

Now that I am back on track with my protein regiment, I have scaled back on water rinses. And I also am careful with manipulation of my hair. Water only should be used for a period of time and then once you have reached a saturation point scale back or be very diligent with protein treatments for women with fine hair and still you must clarify your hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

missbugg21

Late-comer here... :wave:

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning.
I am natural.

2. Current Hair Length
SL

3. Why are you joining this challenge?
I just recently had my Komaza Hair Analysis and my ends need some work! It was recommended that I cut 2 inches off ASAP.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
Dusting, search & destroy method, split end menders, baggying my ends, protective styling.

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?
Start and maintain a consistent trimming schedule. I've learned that I am not one of those naturals that can go 12+months without trimming. :nono:

6. Will you update us 1x a month?
Absolutely. Here's a starting picture...taken a few days ago along with an image of the damage (from a shed hair) that needs to be removed. :perplexed

Attachments

• Damage_031715.jpg
    Damage_031715.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 60

LivingInPeace

I just trimmed my ends and they feel so much better! I moisturized with Darcy's Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Cream and sealed with castor oil. I'm going to search and destroy regularly and do another trim in June.

faithVA

Late-comer here... :wave:

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning.
I am natural.

2. Current Hair Length
SL

3. Why are you joining this challenge?
I just recently had my Komaza Hair Analysis and my ends need some work! It was recommended that I cut 2 inches off ASAP.

4. What have you tried to improve your ends?
Dusting, search & destroy method, split end menders, baggying my ends, protective styling.

5. What are you going to try to get those healthy ends?
Start and maintain a consistent trimming schedule. I've learned that I am not one of those naturals that can go 12+months without trimming. :nono:

6. Will you update us 1x a month?
Absolutely. Here's a starting picture...taken a few days ago along with an image of the damage (from a shed hair) that needs to be removed. :perplexed

Welcome missbugg21. Glad to have you. Your ends will be better in no time.

maxineshaw

I am trying a simple routine now. Poo, conditioner, moisturizer, oil, grease, beeswax, and pressing creme are all I am reaching for now. I will not be touching the pressing oil until I grow out my breakage and get my ends in better shape.

I washed my hair the day before yesterday with Motions. I moisturized it with curl activator and some of my Kemi Oyl. I twisted my hair with some water and beeswax yesterday. I expected my hair to be flat, but my twists are actually quite full looking. My hair is very smooth. I will most likely do this again depending on how my hair feels at the end of the week.

I am also thinking of stretching my wash day to every two weeks so I don't have to manipulate it as much. However, that means that I would have to oil my scalp at least three times in that two weeks to keep my scalp from getting funky.

I am trying this routine now because of how good my mother's hair looks. She is natural too and a strong advocate of simple routines that include grease. With the exception of her grey and hair dye history our texture and hair is the same. However, she has never had the breakage issues I have experienced-which she credits to simplicity and grease. Recently my sister had two people over to do wedding makeup trials. They were both natural, but their hair wasn't in as good of shape as my mother's. They asked her what she used but didn't want to hear it when she told them the answer.

Sometimes I don't want to hear the answer, especially since most things coming out of my mother's mouth sound like nagging. But I will be consistent with it and report the success or failure of it in a future post.

meka72

I've been neglecting my hair especially my ends. After clarifying, protein treating and deep conditioning my hair, my mother clipped my ends. Although I thought they were in bad shape, she didn't think so. I may trim in about 6 months and will stretch my hair (probably blow dry) before doing so.

I moisturized and sealed my ends and they feel and look better.

EnExitStageLeft

I took down my cornrolls, washed/dc'ed and blowdried my hair. My ends look really good.

I will dust them in about 3-4 weeks (I'm dusting my ends every other re-braid session).

Here is my result:

imagejpeg_2(1).jpg

(Please disregard my brows. I tried something new and it did NOT work :lachen:)

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I took down my cornrolls, washed/dc'ed and blowdried my hair. My ends look really good. I will dust them in about 3-4 weeks (I'm dusting my ends every other re-braid session). Here is my result: (Please disregard my brows. I tried something new and it did NOT work :lachen:)

Looking good EnExitStageLeft I dusted my hair today and have been trimming every few weeks. I've cut about 3 inches off so far this year and have more to go. I'm about 6 months post relaxer now, still debating what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

Attachments

• image-2891159247.jpg
    image-2891159247.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 55

EnExitStageLeft

Flyygirll2 Got that V on fleek lol

Your ends look good to me. Question do you trim for your V or does it naturally grow that way?

My best friend Loves the V shape but can't get it right to save her life. Last time she tried it she ended up with a lopped sided U.

Dee Raven

I'm in the middle of the straightening process. DCing right now. Something's to note for myself, is that I used the Devacurl No poo shampoo and I really loved the results. I had stopped using it but I can tell that it is more moisturizing than the Aveda moisturing shampoo I was using. So I think I will be adding the product to my staples.

Also, that Curl Recovery, I am still loving it. I'm going to use it again after I wash out my straight hair, but I just can't believe how much my curls are popping and springing. And I could really see the increased elasticity in my hair during finger detangling today. Wow.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Flyygirll2 Got that V on fleek lol Your ends look good to me. Question do you trim for your V or does it naturally grow that way? My best friend Loves the V shape but can't get it right to save her life. Last time she tried it she ended up with a lopped sided U.

EnExitStageLeft Lol thanks. My hair naturally grows into the V shape. One side grows longer than the other smh. I actually don't like the V shape on me, I prefer the U shape. I've been dealing with splits so that's why I've been cutting off so much.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

LivingInPeace

I cowashed, did a light protein treatment and now I'm under the dryer with my Alter Ego Garlic Mask. I'm tempted to cut my ends again because I saw some split ends that I missed. I'm determined to get these ends together this year.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just washed and conditioned my hair. Now I'm airdrying and I will rebraid later tonight. My ends seem to be improving from the weekly protein dc.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've been wearing my hair out for months and my ends are holding up pretty well. I've been very generous with shea butter mixes, oils, and remembering to smooth my ends on a perm rod at night.

claud-uk

I have completed the S&D with my new scissors, yay! Since then I have been paying lots of attention to my ends, moisturizing and heavy sealing.

I did a full day wash session two days ago; coconut oil pre-poo overnight then applied IC Fantasia Keratin Mask on dry hair, washed with L'Oreal Sulfate Free then Palmers Olive Oil Co-wash, oil rinse with WGO, DC with Aunt Jackies Super Duper Con.

I will be cowashing tonight probably with ORS DC after a quick coconut oil pre-poo.