Lotion as a Leave In?

bajanplums1

This may seem silly, but hear me out. I am currently using this body lotion that I absolutely love. It is Desert Essence Organics Almond Hand and Body Lotion. I got it from WHole Foods. It smells heavenly.

The ingredients are great:

Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extract of Almond, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Certified Organic), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil (Certified Organic), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea Butter - Certified Organic), Emulsifying Wax, Stearic Acid, Proprietary Blend of Essential Oils, Glyceryl Stearate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Glutamate

So, what do you guys think, is this far fetched??

poookie

This may seem silly, but hear me out. I am currently using this body lotion that I absolutely love. It is Desert Essence Organics Almond Hand and Body Lotion. I got it from WHole Foods. It smells heavenly.

The ingredients are great:

Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extract of Almond, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Certified Organic), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil (Certified Organic), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea Butter - Certified Organic), Emulsifying Wax, Stearic Acid, Proprietary Blend of Essential Oils, Glyceryl Stearate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Glutamate

So, what do you guys think, is this far fetched??

most of the ingredients look okay, but i'd be a bit concerned at the items highlighted in red. especially the sodium hydroxide (lye)... same stuff in lye relaxers.

i did an experiment using lotion (bath and body works brand) with sodium hydroxide in it to straighten my new growth. (i made a thread about it... don't remember what it was called) and it worked, meaning there's enough lye in there to straighten your hair out. not bone straight, but it will alter your hair.

i'd be very careful using this on the length of your hair, but it might be a good pre-poo when your a couple months into stretching.

bajanplums1

most of the ingredients look okay, but i'd be a bit concerned at the items highlighted in red. especially the sodium hydroxide (lye)... same stuff in lye relaxers.

i did an experiment using lotion (bath and body works brand) with sodium hydroxide in it to straighten my new growth. (i made a thread about it... don't remember what it was called) and it worked, meaning there's enough lye in there to straighten your hair out. not bone straight, but it will alter your hair.

i'd be very careful using this on the length of your hair, but it might be a good pre-poo when your a couple months into stretching.

Thanks for pointing this out. I think I'll just use it on my skin.

mahogany_horizons

well ladies, are any of you still using lotion as a leave in? What are your thoughts? Because my silk elements moisturizing cream is no where to be found, and I have yet to see these leave ins that the ladies have recommended arrive at my mailbox, I find myself having to use lotion after I wash. I might get a better lotion b/c I'm not in love with the ingredients in the coca butter. Long term they might be damaging. But I am loving the result!! LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT! Are any of you ladies still using lotion as a moisturizer? I am still sealing with oil.

SelfStyled

I use lotion as my moisturizer. I have been for 2 years. As long as the 1st ingredient is water you are good to go provided the rest of the ingredients are good.

I actually have 2 body creams that I rotate. One has aloe vera juice as the 2nd ingredient listed, so that one I use when I feel like my hair needs protein. The other body cream is made of all moisturizing ingredients and that is my main one.

Monitor your hair and see how it does, but I think you may find your hair to be more moisturized than it ever has.