Losing Hair with Braid Outs! Help!

longnstrong

OK. So I figured there would be no better way to add some length to my hair than to do braid outs, right? Good for stretching relaxers, low manipulation, no heat...so why is my sink full of hair when I take the braids out????
I am braiding my hair while damp, adding a moisturizer before braiding, adding oil, then setting the ends on small rods...I dry overnite... What's up with that? :wallbash:

I had that problem but I wasn't sealing my ends well. now I seal with JBCO when wet and shea butter when dry after all of my moisturizers (which is a three step process for me because of my fine hair.). Hope this helps.

Will it help stay away from braid outs until you get the breakage under control?

OK. So I figured there would be no better way to add some length to my hair than to do braid outs, right? Good for stretching relaxers, low manipulation, no heat...so why is my sink full of hair when I take the braids out????
I am braiding my hair while damp, adding a moisturizer before braiding, adding oil, then setting the ends on small rods...I dry overnite... What's up with that? :wallbash:

Braiding too tightly and wrapping around small rods... Use those foam rods that bend in a u-shape. They're basically a long nerf bullet. Use the large ones. You might wish to use a moisturizing butter blend instead.

I had that problem but I wasn't sealing my ends well. now I seal with JBCO when wet and shea butter when dry after all of my moisturizers (which is a three step process for me because of my fine hair.). Hope this helps.

This could certainly be it. I have very fine hair also. I'll try both of these. Thanks so much! Back to the drawing board...

Will it help stay away from braid outs until you get the breakage under control?

It doesn't normally break if I just wear it out normally...just with the braid outs...but thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Maybe you'll get less breakage if you either braid loosely OR do twists for your 'out' styles since they're looser than braids.

Thanks to everyone! I'll try a combination and see what works. I like the fact that I'm not using heat, and my hair looks gorgeous! It's just when I take the braids out, I lose so much hair. I'll try to braid more loosely. When I tried twists, I didn't get as much definition. I'll use more moisturizing and better sealing products such as JBCO and shea, and try different rollers on the ends. Thanks again!
BTW Fine 4S, your hair is beautiful!

Back