Looking to grow out my hair.. where do I start??

aphrodisiac

Okay so I've been a member here for a loong time, never subscribed because I didn't have any money. But now, I'm 17 and I'm about to go to college. I need to grow out my hair! I attempted to do so some time ago, but last year my hair broke off so badly that I had to just stop messing with it (I would fry my hair everyday). So now I'm sitting here with a sew-in weave in my head. I've been getting my hair braided up since March, starting with microbraids (not doing that again until my hair's healthy) and now with sew-in weaves. My hair's so short (about to my ear right now), and now I'm officially looking to grow my hair out.

I want my hair down to my shoulder. It's ambitious to me because my hair has never been that long. I'd like it that long in a year, if not even lesser. So how do I do it??

I've been using Keracare shampoo/conditioner, but it doesn't work that well anymore. I need some shampoos/conditioners that are really moisturizing but strengthens my hair. It broke off badly because I kept getting relaxers in my hair every 2 months last year.

locabouthair

well to stimulate growth you need to:

eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits, veggies, protein and water
exercise and massage your scalp to stimulate circulation
get enough sleep

to retain what you have grown so far
  1. moisturize your ends every day with a water based moisturizer
  2. Dc once a week
  3. limit any use of direct heta to your hair
  4. protect your hair durign the relaxer process by putting conditioner on the ends

also i think you should read all of her articles, it will tell you everything you need to know.

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/

aphrodisiac

well to stimulate growth you need to:

eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits, veggies, protein and water
exercise and massage your scalp to stimulate circulation
get enough sleep

to retain what you have grown so far
  1. moisturize your ends every day with a water based moisturizer
  2. Dc once a week
  3. limit any use of direct heta to your hair
  4. protect your hair durign the relaxer process by putting conditioner on the ends

also i think you should read all of her articles, it will tell you everything you need to know.

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/

wow thanks for that link! I'll definitely be reading that. But right now my hair is weaved, and it's been the second week. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of buying some hair oil, but I don't know which one to buy (I bought this one oil but it built up really bad).. are there any light oils? And what else should I do with this weave? I definitely want to retain my hair growth

locabouthair

wow thanks for that link! I'll definitely be reading that. But right now my hair is weaved, and it's been the second week. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of buying some hair oil, but I don't know which one to buy (I bought this one oil but it built up really bad).. are there any light oils? And what else should I do with this weave? I definitely want to retain my hair growth

I dont know much about taking care of weaves but you need to keep the hair underneath moisturizzed. oil does not moisturize. you need a water based moisturizer. have you tried braid spray?

aphrodisiac

I dont know much about taking care of weaves but you need to keep the hair underneath moisturizzed. oil does not moisturize. you need a water based moisturizer. have you tried braid spray?

I've tried one but it made my hair and hands so sticky and built up really bad (ended up having bad flake buildup). Do you know of any braid spray that's pretty good? I used African Pride Braid Hair Spray

RegaLady

I've tried one but it made my hair and hands so sticky and built up really bad (ended up having bad flake buildup). Do you know of any braid spray that's pretty good? I used African Pride Braid Hair Spray
Hey, I say make sure you moisterize your hair underneath. I usually use a spray bottle and add condtioner(VO5) and braid spray, and spray in one braids between the weave. I add oil just to the edges to protect the edges. You have to find what works for you, but make sure to keep your hair moisterized. My sister got a tonnnnn of growth with sewins:yep:, and she swears by keeping it simple. So I plan to do that. Happy growing to you. :grin:

Artemis

How often will you be washing your hair with the weave in?