LONG: My trip to the uppity salon and why I was NOT impressed

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Well, first of all, my hair turned out fine but the service was not good. I just got home....my appointment was for 2:30....I was running late so I got there at 2:45. Waited for about 35-40 mins or so before I was washed anyway.

Second of all, I don't normally go here....the MAIN reason I went was to get a trim...the style, etc. was just kind of a treat to myself. My normal salon was booked up and I wanted it did today.

All that said and done.....it started off good. The place is very well kept....very spacious. After waiting forever, my stylist comes and introduces herself to me. After I tell her what I want, she gives a look of insecurity and says "You testin' my skillz." I wasn't sure exactly how to take that...but whateva. About 15 or so mins later, a young girl washes my hair. I liked this a lot. She was gentile and whatever she put in my hair was smelling niiiiiiiiiiiiice. No tangle problems since I detangled just the other day. I was deep conditioned under the dryer and rinsed out. Then another lady blow dried me. At this point, 2 or 3 ladies had been in my hair, none of whom was my stylist. (I say 2 OR 3 because I don't remember if the lady who rinsed the conditioner out was the same one who blow dried me or not).

So I am sitting down and my stylist calls me to her chair. I tell her again what I want, this time being more specific and managed to even find a pic similar to what I want. I basically wanted an updo....braided in the front with the hair in the top kindy curly/twisty looking. The stylist apparently didn't want to do it. She said that she could do it but didn't have time for all that because she had stuff to do, wanted to leave early, and had other clients. She said she normally didn't do these kinds of styles because she doesn't want to risk getting carpultunal (sp?) syndrom. I was like okay whateva (in my head). She came up with the idea of braiding it in the front and then French rolling the back into an updo. I said sure do your thing. I then told her that I didn't know she'd be backed up, but I needed to get this done today....then she says that she's not and don't never get backed up and that she spoils her clients making sure they get in and out....hmmmmm......maybe she has a new concept of time because she musta had like 7 other heads and I didn't leave that place till almost 8pm! And she still wasn't done when I was leaving.

Anyway, remember yall that my main intent today was to get a trim. I told the lady on the phone, as well as twice before she started on me that I wanted a trim. Things were moving so fast yall...do you know that homegirl started doing my hair WITHOUT trimming???? At first I didn't realize it and then I did notice it after she had done about four braids in the front. I was thinking at that point that maybe she didn't notice split ends on those areas (I told her only to trim split ends) but then I realized that she forgot. So I say to her "so, how are my ENDS looking?" and she goes, "Oh girl, I'm sorry I forgot all about your ends! I'm rollin'! I can start trimming what's left". I was like man...Okay wahtever cuz that was the whole POINT of going. She trimmed the rest of the unbraided hair and continued doing the style....rolls up the top and puts me under the dryer. Yall I was under there for a LOOOONG time! I was put under like 3 times...that thing was hot! Keep in mind that I normally wash my hair before I get it done....but I normally am getting braids done. This is the first time in almost 2 years that I let a stylist wash my hair in the salon. Maybe I just wasn't used to sitting under the dryer. I was under there so long that par tof my forehead turned red....and I'm albino so it shows.

Anyway, I am finally granted relief from the dryer and then I wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for like well over an hour I'm sure. Then finally the stylist calls me over and finishes up....and it looked nice or whatever. I went to the counter to pay...all this around like 7:40ish. I paid $75 ($35 for the wash, $10 for the blow dry, $15 for the trim, $15 for the braids int he front that "weren't in the plan" even though I did mention them at the time of my appointment....maybe I didn't explain it well..whatever!

So, I am kind of disgruntled about the experience because I thought it would be better than that, but she did a good job. I didn't have cash, she I paid with credit card and was going to go to the ATM and then return with the girl's tip, but as I was leaving, I said to her "Thanks!" But she kinda didn't acknowledge me speaking to her. I then said "have a good one!" and again no acknowledgement so I just left and didn't return with a tip. Maybe she didn't hear me...I dunno, I htought I was loud and clear, especially the second tiem and I was practically standing right in front of her face (she was doing another ladys hair). I dunno but my head was killing me and I was dog tired so I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I won't be back there to get my hair done....maybe their spa services are better. If I go to the salon for a trim, I am sticking with my normal, natural salon, where its a more intimate, less rushed atmosphere. For everything else, I'll use my private stylist.

Rant done.

Another thing that kinda annoyed me was this: The stylist asked me if I had ever had a relaxer. I said yes, but went natural because the perm broke my hair off. Then she goes, "Oh, well, was it the perm or did YOU just not know how to maintain it?" I'm like...what did she just say? I mean, maybe it ain't much but just the way she said it implied like I was nuts for thinking that the perm did anything bad to my hair. I then told her that I am positive it was the perm because after years of the same routine, I went from long hair to shoulder length and it wouldn't grow anymore...just break. And since going natural, my hair's been the longest its ever been in years.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You were well within your rights NOT to return her tip OR go back to that salon. The last time that I went to the hairdresser, she ran through my new growth with a rattail comd while relaxing it:mad: NEvER AGAIN!!!

This chick is off the wall with hers. Don't feel bad about not tipping. That $15 for the half a$$ed trim was her tip.

So sorry that happened. I've been there--appt. at 11 a.m. or so, and stylist doesn't get to you until 1 p.m. Those were the days, hours and hours at a salon only to leave disappointed. Finding the right stylist is truly trial and error. I hope you find a better experience with another stylist.

since when do you have to pay to get your hair blow dried. Dosen't that just come with the deal? That's like going to the grocery store and having to pay for the bags.

PittGirl06 said:
Well, first of all, my hair turned out fine but the service was not good. I just got home....my appointment was for 2:30....I was running late so I got there at 2:45. Waited for about 35-40 mins or so before I was washed anyway.

Second of all, I don't normally go here....the MAIN reason I went was to get a trim...the style, etc. was just kind of a treat to myself. My normal salon was booked up and I wanted it did today.

All that said and done.....it started off good. The place is very well kept....very spacious. After waiting forever, my stylist comes and introduces herself to me. After I tell her what I want, she gives a look of insecurity and says "You testin' my skillz." I wasn't sure exactly how to take that...but whateva. About 15 or so mins later, a young girl washes my hair. I liked this a lot. She was gentile and whatever she put in my hair was smelling niiiiiiiiiiiiice. No tangle problems since I detangled just the other day. I was deep conditioned under the dryer and rinsed out. Then another lady blow dried me. At this point, 2 or 3 ladies had been in my hair, none of whom was my stylist. (I say 2 OR 3 because I don't remember if the lady who rinsed the conditioner out was the same one who blow dried me or not).

So I am sitting down and my stylist calls me to her chair. I tell her again what I want, this time being more specific and managed to even find a pic similar to what I want. I basically wanted an updo....braided in the front with the hair in the top kindy curly/twisty looking. The stylist apparently didn't want to do it. She said that she could do it but didn't have time for all that because she had stuff to do, wanted to leave early, and had other clients. She said she normally didn't do these kinds of styles because she doesn't want to risk getting carpultunal (sp?) syndrom. I was like okay whateva (in my head). She came up with the idea of braiding it in the front and then French rolling the back into an updo. I said sure do your thing. I then told her that I didn't know she'd be backed up, but I needed to get this done today....then she says that she's not and don't never get backed up and that she spoils her clients making sure they get in and out....hmmmmm......maybe she has a new concept of time because she musta had like 7 other heads and I didn't leave that place till almost 8pm! And she still wasn't done when I was leaving.

Anyway, remember yall that my main intent today was to get a trim. I told the lady on the phone, as well as twice before she started on me that I wanted a trim. Things were moving so fast yall...do you know that homegirl started doing my hair WITHOUT trimming???? At first I didn't realize it and then I did notice it after she had done about four braids in the front. I was thinking at that point that maybe she didn't notice split ends on those areas (I told her only to trim split ends) but then I realized that she forgot. So I say to her "so, how are my ENDS looking?" and she goes, "Oh girl, I'm sorry I forgot all about your ends! I'm rollin'! I can start trimming what's left". I was like man...Okay wahtever cuz that was the whole POINT of going. She trimmed the rest of the unbraided hair and continued doing the style....rolls up the top and puts me under the dryer. Yall I was under there for a LOOOONG time! I was put under like 3 times...that thing was hot! Keep in mind that I normally wash my hair before I get it done....but I normally am getting braids done. This is the first time in almost 2 years that I let a stylist wash my hair in the salon. Maybe I just wasn't used to sitting under the dryer. I was under there so long that par tof my forehead turned red....and I'm albino so it shows.

Anyway, I am finally granted relief from the dryer and then I wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for like well over an hour I'm sure. Then finally the stylist calls me over and finishes up....and it looked nice or whatever. I went to the counter to pay...all this around like 7:40ish. I paid $75 ($35 for the wash, $10 for the blow dry, $15 for the trim, $15 for the braids int he front that "weren't in the plan" even though I did mention them at the time of my appointment....maybe I didn't explain it well..whatever!

So, I am kind of disgruntled about the experience because I thought it would be better than that, but she did a good job. I didn't have cash, she I paid with credit card and was going to go to the ATM and then return with the girl's tip, but as I was leaving, I said to her "Thanks!" But she kinda didn't acknowledge me speaking to her. I then said "have a good one!" and again no acknowledgement so I just left and didn't return with a tip. Maybe she didn't hear me...I dunno, I htought I was loud and clear, especially the second tiem and I was practically standing right in front of her face (she was doing another ladys hair). I dunno but my head was killing me and I was dog tired so I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I won't be back there to get my hair done....maybe their spa services are better. If I go to the salon for a trim, I am sticking with my normal, natural salon, where its a more intimate, less rushed atmosphere. For everything else, I'll use my private stylist.

Rant done.

I suggest you go back there in person (only call to make sure the stylist is there), and demand your money back (from now on, NEVER PAY FOR WHAT YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED FOR!). She may give you an attitude (an unprofessional trait), and if she does, remind her of everything she did not do that you asked her to do.

I had a horrible experience with a hairdresser. He was so awful, I wouldn't even let them finish my hair (needless to say, I walked out with underprocessed, wet hair). They tried to charge me $115 (since my hair is "longer"--it was barely shoulder length then--go figure). Anyway, I was so disgusted (I won't tell the whole story, but it was an experience of their trickery). Basically, I was supposed to be seen by the owner (whom I had met with/had consultation with/bought products from). When I got there she was busy, so she had her "lacky" do my hair. He was a hot ass mess! Anyway, he did such a bad job, I got up while under the dryer, and saw the mop on my head (I went to the bathroom). I refused to pay, and they were all apologizing, etc.

First of all, these stylists think they are going to let unlicensed people (he was licensed) relax our hair, rollerset it, blow it, shampoo it (the whole 9), and all they have to do is take out our rollers, or comb out our hair, and then charge us $50-$100+ dollars?!!!! WTF???!!!! A 5 year old could do that, or at least we can do that ourselves at home!

That's why so many of us don't even go to the hairdresser anymore (or rarely go)! They are the reason we have this forum, because THEY WERE DESTROYING OUR HAIR, AND CAUSING US NOT TO HAVE ANY!!! Hairdressers need to remember why we go to them in the first place, IMO. Most of what they do (except some chemical services) we can do ourselves, if we wanted to. We go to them for the experience, the treatment, and the ambience! But sometimes, they make it worse for us!

Anyway, definitely get your money back. If she tries to refuse, let her know that there are newspapers who will be happy to know that she sucks, and that you have a mouth and will make sure not to refer people to her (in fact, you will deter people). Now, I know you are thinking that's really mean. I am actually a nice person, but some of these hairdressers are getting away with things that are actually against the law. Why do you think they have to go to hairschool? They are not supposed to be allowing unlicensed people to do half the things they do (all so they can work on their magazine ads, books, etc.). Stand up for yourself. You don't have to have a bad attitude, but these hairdressers have to know that we will not tolerate mediocrity from them, when they don't charge mediocre prices!

Sorry so long, just had to vent girl!

Last edited:
What salon was this PittGirl? Please also post this under the salon reviews...so everyone knows... about this place!

I'm sorry about your experience. I defnitely wouldn't go back to that place. Except to maybe tell her that her her skills were so exceptional that you had to tell your hair concious (sp) girlfriends... then give her the addy to this website.

I have also wanted to compliment you on your hair. You have brought it a long way in the last several months! :) . It looks great!

Damn..Girl I am so sorry that happened to you. I just wished you stuck to what you wanted. You pay her to do your style, not push you into doing something else. Yeah....don't go back there for the spa either. Bad business is just bad business point blank.

The fact that she refused to dow hat u wanted should've tipped u off. They are there tp perform a service to you. Plain and simple. I wouldn't have paid them that much. You wuz robbed. :mad: I'm sorry this happened to you, but it goes to show some stylists are purely unprofessional, uppity salon or no.

CoCo, so very well put... I have the rollers, setting lotions they use, etc, for this fact, because I was always like why go get a wash and set when I can do it myself in the comfort of my own home...
cocoberry10 said:
First of all, these stylists think they are going to let unlicensed people (he was licensed) relax our hair, rollerset it, blow it, shampoo it (the whole 9), and all they have to do is take out our rollers, or comb out our hair, and then charge us $50-$100+ dollars?!!!! WTF???!!!! A 5 year old could do that, or at least we can do that ourselves at home!Sorry so long, just had to vent girl!

Last edited:
thanks y'all.......I dunno man, I don't be liking to cause no conflict. You are right though I shoudln't even go to the spa because I'll prolly get similar treatment. Since this lady hates doing natural styles so much, she shouldda said so and let the one lady there who does normally do it, take care of it! The lady that normally does those kinds of styles is very good and I had her do my hair once when she worked at my normal salon (but she left there and moved to the uppity one). Other stylists were walking by and saying that my hair looked good and were shocked that the lady was doing it and the lady was kinda complaining that she had to do it!

That's alright though. I am a very patient, and probably overly passive person....so I was basically letting everything go untill homegirl didn't even look at me when I was trying to tell her goodbye. THat was kinda the last straw.....i HATE when people don't acknowledge me and that mildly ticked me off.

That's alright though....i've learned my lesson. Uppity and fancy looking salons don't necessarily equal good service. My small natural salon didn't look the best, but I was always taken care of by very considerate people. I would often see the owner, who also was a barber on the men's side of the salon, and he would walk over to the (mostly) women's side and ask how the clients were doing, would shake their hands, etc. so I mean it was a much much better environment......man I musta been on something going all far to this hoity toity joint instead of being patient and going to my normal spot!

Hey Pittgirl, It's terrible that you had that type of salon experience. And you are so right, not all of the super elite salons are all they're cracked up to be there are some great ones and some that are really messed up. The great thing is that your regular salon seems to really work with you to keep your hair in great condition.

Pitt Girl,

Too bad you had to go through that. And to think it was an upscale place...That's just crazy. Why is it that at certain salons you don't get the right treatment? As much money as we put into their pockets, they need to do just what you ask them for.

And as for her little comment on you not taking care of your hair when it was relaxed, she needs to go somehwhere with that mess! In the past, I foolishly trusted stylists to aid in my hair growth, and that never got me anywhere (and it almost led me to believe that I was destined to only have chin length hair). No offense to those who are superb stylists, but at the end of the day you the client have to go home and care for your own hair (and who knows your hair better than you).

With that said, she did not deserve a tip, and keep doing what you doing b/c her services you no longer need.

Their treatment of you was totally unprofessional and inexcusable. They can really benefit from a class (or two) on customer service. It's folks like them who give the profession a bad name, and it's really unfortunate that so many stylists engage in this type of behavior.

balisi said:
Their treatment of you was totally unprofessional and inexcusable. They can really benefit from a class (or two) on customer service. It's folks like them who give the profession a bad name, and it's really unfortunate that so many stylists engage in this type of behavior.

Unlike you, balisi :kiss:

Pitti, where is this place you went to?

its called A Second Glance and its in Pittsburgh. It was reccomended to me by another girl who is natural. The looks of the ploace will make you think you are gonna get the roya treatment, but my oh my can looks be deceiving. I was so not impressed at the end....I won't be reccomending that place for real.

Back