Long Hair Sighting (her secret enclosed)

gn1g

Today while I was out an about I notice a lady with 4a or 4b hair down to her butt. Extremely long and thick.

As I was trying to make my way over to speak to her, seems like everything was in the way. My phone was ringing, my child was asking me questions and a friend was talking to me. Just when I had given up on starting a conversation with the woman . . . she walked right past me. I began to walk in her direction, she wasn't walking to fast so I was able to catch up with her. To my surprise she was much much older than she looked from behind, and her hair was not perm straight.

Me: Hello . . . your hair is beautiful.

What I really wanted to say was "your hair is so long". Because it really wasn't beautiful, but flattery gets you everywhere. She was wearing it with a part down the middle and curls on the ends.

She: Thank you.

She spoke with an ethopian accent, I began to wonder if I should continue to drum up a conversation with her being that I barely understood her.

Me: It sure is long, how did you get it that way?

She smiled and began to pull at her hair. Her hair seem to be very strong.

She: I do nothing.

Me: (In shock) Nothing at all.

She: hmmmmmm no, no chemicals, no heat, no comb, nothing. I just get it fixed every so often at the beauty school.

Me: Really?

She: yes. (smiles)

Me: well, it is very long and pretty. take care.

Her secret: DO NOTHING!

It seems so unfair, all of the care and attention I give my hair and it just creeps along.

She was probably lying...you've got some people that just don't want to give away their secret...cause they don't want anyone else to achieve it

gn1g said:
Today while I was out an about I notice a lady with 4a or 4b hair down to her butt. Extremely long and thick.

As I was trying to make my way over to speak to her, seems like everything was in the way. My phone was ringing, my child was asking me questions and a friend was talking to me. Just when I had given up on starting a conversation with the woman . . . she walked right past me. I began to walk in her direction, she wasn't walking to fast so I was able to catch up with her. To my surprise she was much much older than she looked from behind, and her hair was not perm straight.

Me: Hello . . . your hair is beautiful.

What I really wanted to say was "your hair is so long". Because it really wasn't beautiful, but flattery gets you everywhere. She was wearing it with a part down the middle and curls on the ends.

She: Thank you.

She spoke with an ethopian accent, I began to wonder if I should continue to drum up a conversation with her being that I barely understood her.

Me: It sure is long, how did you get it that way?

She smiled and began to pull at her hair. Her hair seem to be very strong.

She: I do nothing.

Me: (In shock) Nothing at all.

She: hmmmmmm no, no chemicals, no heat, no comb, nothing. I just get it fixed every so often at the beauty school.

Me: Really?

She: yes. (smiles)

Me: well, it is very long and pretty. take care.

Her secret: DO NOTHING!

It seems so unfair, all of the care and attention I give my hair and it just creeps along.

She was probably lying...you've got some people that just don't want to give away their secret...cause they don't want anyone else to achieve it

I agree.

But I was thinking... Some regimens work for some people but not for others.

I hope we don't all jump on the 'Do nothing' band wagon. :lachen:

Candy1978 said:
:lol: I dont know, she could be telling the truth. Alot of ladies on here say that less manipulation is the key.

gn1g said:

I want to pm this to all the ladies who say they comb once or even twice a day!! No combing really does work!! Believe me please!!:lol:

seraphinelle said:
I agree.

But I was thinking... Some regimens work for some people but not for others.

I hope we don't all jump on the 'Do nothing' band wagon. :lachen:

OKAY!!!

I hope people take heed to the "do nothing" clause and listen to my black butt when I say, no matter who you are,, if you are black your gonna need SOMETHING. Moisture, water, SOMETHING.

This whole "do nothing and it will grow" thing is gonna get people in trouble. I say use your common sense people.

That lady was more than likely telling the truth. She was old and frumpy. looks like she gives little attention to her appearance.

A lot of people do grow long hair and do nothing, so I personally doubt she was lying. If she was ethiopean, genetics probably has a lot to do with it, since many have Arabic blood.

LocksOfLuV said:
OKAY!!!

I hope people take heed to the "do nothing" clause and listen to my black butt when I say, no matter who you are,, if you are black your gonna need SOMETHING. Moisture, water, SOMETHING.

This whole "do nothing and it will grow" thing is gonna get people in trouble. I say use your common sense people.

RIGHT GIRL!

If she was ethiopean, genetics probably has a lot to do with it, since many have Arabic blood.

I don't want to touch this comment, but I'll just say that the OP said the lady in question had 4A/4B hair.

Most Ethiopian women I know have shockingly long hair. For the first few months I knew one of my friends I wondered "Why would she wear a weave that big and long?" because I just knew it couldn't be real. But it was. It did not look as if she ever combed her hair, but she did have color. I think the lady you met was telling the truth.

I just think that comment is akin to saying western black women can't grow their hair long because of genetics.

IMO, of course.

I don't find her "do nothing" comment hard to believe at all.

Several of my aunts and female cousins have very long hair, at least tail bone length and most are at classic length. They also "do nothing", no chemicals, no heat, no supplements, growth aids, ect...very infrequent brushing and combing. Just shampoo and deep condition. Apply a little leave in, and their hair thrives.

This simple "leave it alone and it will grow" regimen works perfectly for me. Most of the people I know with very long hair do very little to it.

shunta said:
:lol: I dont know, she could be telling the truth. Alot of ladies on here say that less manipulation is the key.

I agree.... A while back I posted that my girlfriend (who I've known for 14 yrs) now has WL hair and her secret is to do nothing also! She does use chemicals, but the thread started a storm around here. You know; it must be genetics. :perplexed But, to each her own.

I'm starting to believe that for ME less is and will be more.

camellia said:

Several of my aunts and female cousins have very long hair, at least tail bone length and most are at classic length. They also "do nothing", no chemicals, no heat, no supplements, growth aids, ect...very infrequent brushing and combing. Just shampoo and deep condition. Apply a little leave in, and their hair thrives.

This simple "leave it alone and it will grow" regimen works perfectly for me. Most of the people I know with very long hair do very little to it.

The more I talk to women of color with long hair, I find this to be true.

Candy1978 said:

Probably lying? Wow:eek: I can belive her, my aunt doesn't do much to her hair, no chemicals, gets a roller set every week and has hair waist length hair.

camellia said:

But that's the thing, they do something. And IMO the lady in the OP should have atleast noted that. When I say that "do nothing" doesn't work, I am literally referring to doing nothing, ya know. I'm all for simple, as I wash, DC, apply some leave in+oil, and ponytail it up. Very simple.

I just don't buy for one minute that if you do absolutely nothing (in the literal sense) that the hair will thrive. Maybe I took the OP too literal.

LocksOfLuV said:
But that's the thing, they do something. And IMO the lady in the OP should have atleast noted that. When I say that "do nothing" doesn't work, I am literally referring to doing nothing, ya know. I'm all for simple, as I wash, DC, apply some leave in+oil, and ponytail it up. Very simple.

I just don't buy for one minute that if you do absolutely nothing (in the literal sense) that the hair will thrive. Maybe I took the OP too literal.

Thank you locks of luv.

LocksOfLuV said:

I think that could be it. when I heard do nothing, I thought it meant she doesn't do anything extra. a lot of us over here "do a lot" more than a very simple wash, condition & moisturize regimen. Comparatively, that's nothing.

I would say I have a very simple "do nothing" regimen. I literally don't comb my hair. I wash and deep condition once a week. I do moisturize daily but thats it.

If someone asked me what I do to my hair, I would literally say nothing. because I don't do anything that you shouldn't be doing.

seraphinelle said:
Thank you locks of luv.

No prob bob.

It wouldn't have hurted her to go:

OP: What do you do?
Her: Nothing, just wash and condition it __ times a week.

Just to flat out say "Nothing" is kinda misleading. She know she wouldn't have all that hair on her head if she did absolutely nothing to it.:rolleyes: Whatever.

LocksOfLuV said:

I know of another women with waist length hair. She doesn't do anything to her hair. She keep it in a ponytail and gets it washed and pressed every 3 months. Her motto "everything grows in dirt."

Go figure, it works for them.

Yeah I gotta agree LocksofLuv, I hate the whole 'do nothing' bit. To me, that means absolutely nothing. All the lady had to say was that she just washes and conditions her hair, or something. Even the women with the simplest regimens here do that AT LEAST. What's wrong with saying so?

And as much as I agree that less is more,...you have to do something, or else we really wouldn't have a need for this site to begin with. I personally can't "do nothing" and expect my hair to be healthy. That's why I came here. Although I envy the small minority (in number) of women who can get away with doing nothing, I'm not one of them.

vivadiva85 said:
I think that could be it. when I heard do nothing, I thought it meant she doesn't do anything extra. a lot of us over here "do a lot" more than a very simple wash, condition & moisturize regimen. Comparatively, that's nothing.

I would say I have a very simple "do nothing" regimen. I literally don't comb my hair. I wash and deep condition once a week. I do moisturize daily but thats it.

If someone asked me what I do to my hair, I would literally say nothing. because I don't do anything that you shouldn't be doing.

I actually do the same thing as you. And honestly, if someone asked me what I do I would go "wash and condition it once a week, and add moisturizer to it every day." I wouldn't say "nothing," because IMHO that is insulting their intelligence. They know that I must be doing something good if they are asking me about it. And even a step deeper, if I was on the other end I would be thinking "she lying!" So knowig that, I would def. say a lil something.

Even though it isn't hard, it really is my secret and I don't really think it is worthy of just a "nothing." But that's my opinion, and it's not a big deal, just thought I would share what I would say.

OneInAMillion said:
Yeah I gotta agree LocksofLuv, I hate the whole 'do nothing' bit. To me, that means absolutely nothing. All the lady had to say was that she just washes and conditions her hair, or something. Even the women with the simplest regimens here do that AT LEAST. What's wrong with saying so?

And as much as I agree that less is more,...you have to do something, or else we really wouldn't have a need for this site to begin with. I personally can't "do nothing" and expect my hair to be healthy. That's why I came here. Although I envy the small minority (in number) of women who can get away with doing nothing, I'm not one of them.

EXACTLY. If every last woman here who thrived with a simple regimen noted it as "nothing," then no one here would ever know anything. It kinda makes no sense.

I believe her...she said she goes to a beauty shcool to get her hair done. I know people who get their hair in a certain style at the shop and do not TOUCH their hair until they go back to the stylist. years back when I used to get my hair pressed there was one lady who had almost WL and all she got was tight wet sets done...never combed the curls out until she came back to the stylist a week later, by then they had fell. all she did was spray with oil sheen and wear a satin bonnet to bed in between visits.

Last edited:
LocksOfLuV said:
I actually do the same thing as you. And honestly, if someone asked me what I do I would go "wash and condition it once a week, and add moisturizer to it every day." I wouldn't say "nothing," because IMHO that is insulting their intelligence. They know that I must be doing something good if they are asking me about it. And even a step deeper, if I was on the other end I would be thinking "she lying!" So knowig that, I would def. say a lil something.

Even though it isn't hard, it really is my secret and I don't really think it is worthy of just a "nothing." But that's my opinion, and it's not a big deal, just thought I would share what I would say.

Ur absolutely right. everyone is entitled to an opinion. I do nothing to my hair until I wash it and condition it. so I woulda said nothing just like she did.

I guess its all about perspective. oh well.

seraphinelle said:
I just think that comment is akin to saying western black women can't grow their hair long because of genetics.

IMO, of course.

There are too many black women on this site with long hair for me to believe that. If I thought we couldn't grow long hair I wouldn't even spend some much time on this site or hundreds of dollars a year on hair products.

But it is true that many Ethiopean women have long hair. I know because I live in DC and there is a huge population of Ethiopean's here. I also know that some do have Arabic heritage due to their proximity to other Arab countries.

Last edited:
Back