little girls natural hair

aka

I was wondering. . . a lot of us can remember back to when we were little girls and we were able to grow long (or at least shoulder-length) natural hair that we usually wore in braids. What were some of the things our mothers did, do you think, that helped keep our hair healthy?

I wore my hair braided (five braids) everyday, and have memories of sitting on the floor each morning before school as my mom yanked and tugged at my hair and coated it with grease. Yet it was still healthy, as I recall (although my memory may be fuzzy). I never wrapped my hair at night, but I don't remember having a problem with breakage.

aka

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
washed hair about every two weeks, b&b grease (coconut scent),pressed hair when it reverted braided it up, rarely clipped ends, cornrows in the summer for swimming. That was before bills and babies maybe bills=breakage/shedding. I dont know I'm not quite sure where I stand on the grease, petro, mineral oil controversy. I mean can it be that it was all so simple then?

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
Yeah...i remember those days when my Ma used to braid my hair all of da time b/c it was NAPPY. I don't miss it though b/c I'm tenderheaded and she ALWAYS used to braid TIGHT! literally). Personally, I don't think my Ma ever did anything to make my hair grow. Please her heart....if any thingthing she prevented it. She's the true meaning of a kitchen hairstylist!

AllAboutTheHair

I remember getting my hair washed once a month, maybe every three weeks. Pressed when needed, oiled when brush/combed with bergamont and washed with Pert no conditioner.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
Haha! I remember my mom rollersetting my hair for church on Sunday. I would sit on like 4 phonebooks under the hair dryer. I was only about 4 years old! Dang Mom- why all the bother?

For every day though I wore two pony tails out loose or sometimes in a loose twist. I remember getting my brother to help me cut the rubber bands out of my hair because I'd always get them all tangled up trying to take them out. It's funny, I was doing pretty much everything wrong but my hair was still long as a child. I guess all body functions are just more efficient during childhood.

lsubabiedee

man, i remember getting my hair washed in the kitchen sink every month and then getting it blowdried and coated with grease....oooohhh....and getting my scalped greased was my favorite part! Never slept with anything on my head, but my hair was way down my back until I was about 14...gosh, i wish i could have it back!

inthepink

I remember my mother combed my hair every single day. She only washed it maybe every 2 weeks. She used grease and I wore 2-5 braids daily. Once in a while for a special occasion, I got my hair pressed.

silvergirl

the reason i believe most people didnt experience any breakage is because their hair was .. natural. natural hair is stronger than relaxed hair and it doesnt matter if you didnt wash it as much or take care of it the way you should. think of other races who wear their natural hair. the amount of times they can bleach, dry blow, an fry their hair is unbelievable but it still grows and looks healthy because its strong an natural. .... just my opinion.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
AllAboutTheHair said:
I remember getting my hair washed once a month, maybe every three weeks. Pressed when needed, oiled when brush/combed with bergamont and washed with Pert no conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing here except my mother used head and shoulders and used combs with small teeth. For some reason she never grasped the concept that thick nappy hair needs a wide tooth comb.

Devi

I used to get my hair washed and deep conditioned twice a week. Then she would put oils in it from root to tip, the either braid it or leave it out or put it in a nice fluffy ponytail.

My mom did a pretty good job, except for the fact that she laid the oils on a lil' thick. My hair was always oily to the touch. And my poor scalp was on fire from her tight braiding. To this day I don't braid my hair, I hate it.

It could've been worse though. My mom and I have different textures, she had potential to screw me up badly, but it turned out just fine.