Like A Relaxer

cherishlove

Please post recommendations for treatments that smooth and straighten natural hair textures "like a relaxer."

Please let us know how you liked it, how long it last, how long you have used it and did your hair revert back.

1. Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Treatment (4 weeks)
2. Design Essentials Smoothing Therapy System @BGT
3. Sebastian Brilliant Thermal Protection (Makes hair straight with shine after blow dry. @PureSilver
4. Brazilian blow out @greenandchic
5. Beautiful hair textures TMS @Prettymetty
6. Aveda Smooth Infusion Line @BGT & @Britt
7. Mizani Thermasmooth @Prettymetty
8. NuNaat (Walgreens) @Bun Mistress

Last edited:

BGT

I was gonna get a Design Essentials Smoothing Therapy System treatment done at my salon but I decided to BC instead and my hair isn't long enough to enjoy the straight. But the results I've seen are nice. It's like a BKT without the formaldehyde; should last 8-12 weeks.

Last edited:

cherishlove

I've been getting Awapuhi treatments for a couple of years now off and on. The beautician that does them for me is an hour away but I love the results. It keeps my hair noticeably softer and smoother. It gives my hair a lot of body and reduces the frizz in my hair tremendously. My hair always reverts back fully after the treatment.

cherishlove

I was gonna get a Design Essentials Smoothing Therapy System treatment done at my salon but I decided to BG instead and my hair isn't long enough to enjoy the straight. But the results I've seen are nice. It's like a BKT without the formaldehyde; should last 8-12 weeks.
What's a BG OP? I'm assuming you meant BC.

Last edited:

cherishlove

I want to try the Awapuhi treatment...or the Tms. I just want my hair smooth and stretched for a month at a time even if I wash weekly.
I love the Awapuhi treatment. What's the TMS?It doesn't make you hair straight but makes it easy to manage without the frizz. Every time I get it I always get compliments.

greenandchic

I've been getting Awapuhi treatments for a couple of years now off and on. The beautician that does them for me is an hour away but I love the results. It keeps my hair noticeably softer and smoother. It gives my hair a lot of body and reduces the frizz in my hair tremendously. My hair always reverts back fully after the treatment.

Does it require heat for it to work?

twolala

I haven't tried it yet, but Brazilian Blowouts are good at straightening the hair ( from what I've researched) I want to try it this summer ( even though I am relaxed).

cherishlove

I haven't tried it yet, but Brazilian Blowouts are good at straightening the hair ( from what I've researched) I want to try it this summer ( even though I am relaxed).
Is there any particular one you are looking at. I don't know anyone that has had one outside of here and I've seen mixed reviews.

Britt

When I was transitioning I did the DE treatment once. I don't think I was really a fan of it though. It did make my new growth easier to comb and loosen up some when my hair was wet but I distinctly remember a coating feel being on my hair when I washed it at home. Now that I'm fully natural have some interest in wearing my hair blow dried and straighten this might be an option to look into. I don't think I'd go with the DE treatment again. Maybe another brand? Like Aveda or this Paul Mitchell one.

cherishlove

When I was transitioning I did the DE treatment once. I don't think I was really a fan of it though. It did make my new growth easier to comb and loosen up some when my hair was wet but I distinctly remember a coating feel being on my hair when I washed it at home. Now that I'm fully natural have some interest in wearing my hair blow dried and straighten this might be an option to look into. I don't think I'd go with the DE treatment again. Maybe another brand? Like Aveda or this Paul Mitchell one.
What's the Aveda treatment @Britt ?

BGT

Idk the name off hand but I believe they have a smoothing system. I think I might have even seen it on this forum. I know for sure I went on their site and saw some smoothing products I think.

The Smooth Infusion line. It includes LOTS of products, but you mainly need the shampoo, conditioner and naturally straight leave in. For me, it got my natural roots sleeky straight (I was transitioning)...the problem was that as soon as I walked outside, my roots exploded :lol: So it's not good at blocking humidity.

cherishlove

The Smooth Infusion line. It includes LOTS of products, but you mainly need the shampoo, conditioner and naturally straight leave in. For me, it got my natural roots sleeky straight (I was transitioning)...the problem was that as soon as I walked outside, my roots exploded :lol: So it's not good at blocking humidity.
I agree. I got the Aveda treatment before in a Aveda salon and my hair laughed at it. It was hot and my hair proofed up in 0.2 seconds real quick. :spinning:

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

I honestly used this cheap BKT treatment from walgreens for years without any issue, NuNaat. I didn't use the shampoo because I never shampoo, good results, I don't revert because I henna as well. I have a theory on that. But I have never had a problem with retention, breaking, split ends. I have have done the express keratin treatment twice last year at a salon, wasn't as good.

cherishlove

I honestly used this cheap BKT treatment from walgreens for years without any issue, NuNaat. I didn't use the shampoo because I never shampoo, good results, I don't revert because I henna as well. I have a theory on that. But I have never had a problem with retention, breaking, split ends. I have have done the express keratin treatment twice last year at a salon, wasn't as good.
Should I get the system or just the treatment. @Bun Mistress

Last edited:

cherishlove

I tried the beautiful hair textures this morning. I did not use heat on my hair. The process was rather simple. There are 2 tubes in the box one for shampooing and a leave in conditioner. After I washed my hair I applied the leave in conditioner and was able to comb my hair and the directions recommend to smooth the hair. I was surprised that when I was finish my hair was very silky soft and my curls were very lush. I did feel a tingle on my scalp. Overall I'm impressed with this kit. It was on 6 dollars at Sally's.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
I'm not tagged but I tried the Nunaat once and the sandy red I once had a a child came back with a vengeance when I started flat-ironing. I had blond streaks as well. Hair was beautiful. I don't remember how long it lasted because after that, I did something stupid and shaved myself. But I liked it. Just be warned it can brighten hair in some people. My hair was became nearly Beyonce blond/caramel.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
On week 3 of the Organic Root Stimulator system. No problems. Hair is reverting EVERY wash day :lol:. The flat ironing has been fantastic tho. Almost like a relaxer.

My only issue is extreme dry and flakey scalp which is not causing probs with the hair itself. I attribute the dryness to being unable to use my moisturizers for fear of reversion. Will have to figure that part out. Did not use heat this week to give my scalp some moisture.