Let's talk Satin Charmeuse Bonnets

southerncitygirl

Hey Hair Sisters :grin:

Checking in to see if anyone has ordered satin charmeuse bonnets from either of these vendors and what your experiences were with the product & service. I plan on buying one for BF as my cheapie one is on its last leg.

http://shopebonicurls.com/collections/ebonnets-1

http://Florbella.storenvy.com

There are quite a few reviews on youtube for both and I like the way they look.:yep:

Florbella has a 15% off discount code: Kccm13 , based on a review that BlakIzBeautyful gave here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-vC2Z9us3s&list=WLBD298C6A29D9CDD6

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

Is charmeuse considered real silk or is it a silk-like material? If its not real silk then that price is kind of high.

SuchaLady

I would never pay that much for a bonnet unless Im guaranteed toe length hair in a week. My $4 bonnet works fine.

southerncitygirl

SuchaLady

its double lined and will last a whole lot longer than your beauty supply store bonnet. silk chameuse is far superior to the ones in beauty supply stores. i would rather pay more for something that will last longer than to have lots of something for cheap. i prefer quality to quantity for things in my life, glad i stumbled across these as an option cause i never knew it existed. my hair styles will last longer and not get smooshed plus my hair will retain moisture even more, so less product will be used during the course of the week. to each its own.

southerncitygirl

Black Ambrosia

copied from the ebonnets site:

FAQ
What is an Ebonnet?

Ebonnets are handmade with high quality Satin or double lined with Charmeuse Satin, which is made of extremely tightly bound satin threads that provides optimum retention of the hairs natural oils along with providing additional moisture on your hairs delicate strands. Charmeuse allows moisture to stay within the atsmosphere of the bonnet which results in soft healthy hair!
What is Charmeuse Satin?

Charmeuse is a luxury fabric made of polyester fibers. It provides the same benefits as silk with a satin weave finish and is much more durable. It has a floating appearance which drapes very well, especially for formal wear. The fabric is also extremely lightweight, and it has a glossy appearance and extremely soft texture. This fabric should be handled with care, since it is very fragile.
How to Care for Charmeuse Satin?

As a general rule, charmeuse can be hand washed with cold water and gentle soaps. It should be laid out flat or hung to dry, although clotheslined charmeuse should not be attached with clothespins, since they will leave marks. Charmeuse should also not be twisted or contorted while it is wet, because it may set permanent wrinkles in the fabric. Sulfate shampoo works great for hand washing the Ebonnets.
The Benefits of Satin?

Cotton may feel warm and cozy, but it is a highly absorbent material that draws moisture from our skin and hair as we sleep. We actually need the oils that are leached by cotton to keep our hair calm and our skin supple. In addition, the weave of a cotton pillowcase acts like an abrasive material, catching individual stands of hair and causing them to tangle and break. That same weave pressed against our faces at night causes our ever-less-elastic skin to crease. And like any other repeated action, those creases can eventually become permanent. A satin pillowcase, on the other hand, allows our face and head to move easily across its surface, avoiding the friction and damage caused by cotton.
Satin and Medicine?

Satin pillowcases have proven worthy enough of consideration that some medical experts recommend them to their patients being treated for cancer and hepatitis C, people who often spend extended periods of time in bed as they recover. This time in bed can cause frictional Alopecia, which is the abnormal loss of the hair root and hair shaft caused by the head rubbing against the abrasive properties of cotton. The website Thinning Hair Secrets says that satin helps avoid hair loss that occurs due to friction or a shearing effect and Natural Cancer Supplements says that hair slides across the pillow rather than rubbing. The same “sliding” effect is why we wake up with less nocturnal creases after sleeping on a satin pillowcase.

Black Ambrosia

They have a crappy website but I buy my bonnets here. I like these better than regular bonnets because they have elastic in the front and ties in the back and it prevents the bonnet from moving around while you sleep. They also come in different sizes. The regular satin polyester ones sell for $15 while the silk ones sell for $34. I've only purchased the polyester ones and I love them.

I found these pics online of the ones I own.

I saw this pic on their fb page. I need to find that thread about sleeping with a scarf around your SO.

:lachen:

Black Ambrosia

I'd check out the place I get my bonnets from. Since its polyester and not silk, I think you'll be just as pleased with those bonnets instead. Nothing wrong with the charmeuse ones though. I'm just trying to save you a few dollars. I like that they have different sizes. I use the classic lucy size when I wear tree braids and have a lot of hair. Otherwise I wear the lil lucy and its perfect for my hair (maybe 3-4 inches past shoulder length). I either pin curl it or just throw the bonnet on and it preserves the style fine.

southerncitygirl

Black Ambrosia

Why do they look so small:perplexed:ohwell:? I also forgot to add that i am making my way towards mid-back length straight but shoulder length curly.Also I am not relaxed and don't wear my hair straight that often. I mostly keep my hair twisted or wear twistouts. Is this company black owned? They look mass reproduced via a factory . The ladies of these companies sew theirs.:yep: The bonnets on these sites are double lined, I would love to have silk but these don't look like they would meet my needs.:sad:

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

I was thinking about investing in one, but $30 per bonnet though? UHHHHHH I don't know about that.

Last edited:

Whimsy

These are cute, but pricier than I'd spend. I wish I could offer insight, but I get cheapie beauty store bonnets

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
southerncitygirl, my ebonnet from Ebonicurls is one of the best hair investments I've ever made. An absolute "Game Changer." You will have it for the rest of your life. I own oodles of hair lingerie and believe me when I say Ebonicurl's Ebonnet is the "best".

In addition, she has excellent customer service and she's a sweetie pie!

That is my testimony from someone that owns all of them!

Last edited:

curlycrocheter

How did I miss this thread?!? My life's obsession right now is Bonnets!

Ebonie Curls is on my list of places to buy from for myself. I did my daughter a bonnet from there. She loves it!

But I have bonnets from:
Pretty Anntoinet's (2)
Sassy Swag Designs (3)
Nina Catori (1)

I love all of them. I also have a pillow case & scrunchies from Sassy Swag. And I have silk scarves from Pretty Anntoinet's.

Nina Catori made me an XX-Long loc soc. I ordered it Friday, she shipped it Saturday & it was here by Wednesday.

My list to buy from in the future includes:
Blensblend
Ebonie Curls
and a few more Etsy sellers

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
curlycrocheter why did you post a link for Nina Catori? Now, I want the double lined charmeuse Loc Soc you mentioned. I'm supposed to be on a hair lingerie "no buy."

I love your siggy. Absolutely :gorgeous: hair!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Never at that price tag.

My Walmart ones stays on all night and work just fine:

chejam

@southerncitygirl, my ebonnet from Ebonicurls is one of the best hair investments I've ever made. An absolute "Game Changer." You will have it for the rest of your life. I own oodles of hair lingerie and believe me when I say Ebonicurl's Ebonnet is the "best".

I just email eboni curls and she will send out a code for black friday:look:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
They look nice sis but I don't wear anything on my hair at night. That's a lie, I sleep totally under the comforter, LOL!

natural_one

southerncitygirl, my ebonnet from Ebonicurls is one of the best hair investments I've ever made. An absolute "Game Changer." You will have it for the rest of your life. I own oodles of hair lingerie and believe me when I say Ebonicurl's Ebonnet is the "best".

How so? What makes it so different than other "satin" bonnets?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
natural_one

• The charmeuse has a tight weave smooth fabric.
  • Due to being double lined and the tight weave there's no product transfer to my bed linens. Keep in mind I'm heavy handed with product.
  • It's comfy and does not irritate my edges, nape, or temples.
  • All of my hair fits in it, no matter the style
  • There's no velcro for my hair to get caught in.
  • It doesn't come off while sleeping like some others
  • I'll have it for life