Leave Ins...Any Suggestions? :)

spellinto

I haven't been successful thus far with finding a leave in/moisturizer but I haven't given up hope! Does anyone have any recommendations? :prettyplease:

(Side note: I have relaxed 4b/c hair that is thick, highly porous, has a LOT of ng right now, and drys out easily! My strands lean more towards milky/creamy leave ins & less towards sprays!)

Recent Leave Ins/Moisturizers I've tried
NTM silk touch
Shea moisture yucca & baobab
It's a 10 miracle leave in
Just for me! Hair milk
Redken smooth down cream
Regular conditioner as a leave in (Herbal Essences, V05, TreSemme Naturals)

Last edited:

PureSilver

You could try these. The reviews on them seems pretty good. I can't speak for any of them personally but i have a few friends who swear by them.

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Moisturizer
Dr. Miracle's Coconut Milk conditioner
Shea Radiance Moisturizing hair milk

frizzy

You might need to address your porosity issues first, that could be the reason you are having a hard time finding a good moisturizer.

Protein will fill in the holes of your hair shaft and then you need some acidity to close the cuticle. Protein also helps the hair receive moisture better. HTH

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
My hair doesn't care for any leave-ins or moisturizers too much either. Recently I was told about s-curl by someone on the board. I purchased it last weekend & have not moisturized my hair again since. *yummy* My buns are so moist & juicy looking!

KaramelDiva1978

I was going to suggest S-curl also. I also use the LOC method as well and use Wen, Coconut oil and S-curl in that order and my hair loves it.

nymane

Lacio Lacio leave in is a godsend for my 4b/c porous relaxed hair. Fyi - The texture is milky/creamy

Nonie

My hair doesn't care for any leave-ins or moisturizers too much either. Recently I was told about s-curl by someone on the board. I purchased it last weekend & have not moisturized my hair again since. *yummy* My buns are so moist & juicy looking!

I was going to suggest S-curl also. I also use the LOC method as well and use Wen, Coconut oil and S-curl in that order and my hair loves it.

Before S Curl:

After S Curl:

Any questions? :giggle:

More reviews of S Curl in this thread

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Scurl.
I'm now a believer.

Question Nonie (and anyone else who doesn't mind advising)- Have you tried the new version SCurl with Argan oil?

I recently purchased it to give to my natural younger sister.

I personally prefer the smell of the original formula.. and the consistency of the new version is more watery.

I want to go to all of the BSS stores in my area and clear the shelves of the old school formula... but I'll hold off if the new formula is okay.

PJaye

IME, these are some good, creamy, protein-free ones:

As I Am Naturally Leave-in
DB Daily Leave-in
DB Transitioning Creme
SSI Pomegranate Conditioner
Oyin Hair Dew (if you can tolerate its syrupy smell)

A question for the S-Curl users: How do you tolerate and/or mask the prominently distinctive Jherri Curl smell?

Nonie

yaya, I have not tried it but I am not looking forward to it. I am not too crazy about having like oil in my hair. Some people have posted that they like both old and new formulas and many who hated the old version like the way the new one feels on their hair and also like the smell. I think I know of one person who didn't like it.

FelaShrine

DB Daily Leave-in
DB Transitioning Creme

/QUOTE]

PJaye would you suggest any of those for fine hair?

Nonie

Thanks @Nonie!

I might have to go stock up on the old formula!

@yaya24, you'll be lucky if you find it. I even tried to order directly the source when I saw the old bottle on Amazon, and they sent me the new ones. I was so mad and was going to return them but my sis liked the new formula when I sent her the new one so I'm holding onto what I got for her. divachyk said she even checked in her local BSS with dusty shelves and even they only had the new one.

Oh well...who knows, when I come to use it, I may find I like it. If not, I'll stock up on Hawaiian Silky14-in-1.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Scurl.
I'm now a believer.

Question Nonie (and anyone else who doesn't mind advising)- Have you tried the new version SCurl with Argan oil?

I recently purchased it to give to my natural younger sister.

I personally prefer the smell of the original formula.. and the consistency of the new version is more watery.

I want to go to all of the BSS stores in my area and clear the shelves of the old school formula... but I'll hold off if the new formula is okay.

I'm not sure if I have the old version or the new. I'm an s-curl virgin & only recently purchased my 1st bottle. It is a blue & white plain spray bottle so I'm not sure. It smells nice as well.

bebezazueta

I'm not sure if I have the old version or the new. I'm an s-curl virgin & only recently purchased my 1st bottle. It is a blue & white plain spray bottle so I'm not sure. It smells nice as well.

The new formula has argan oil and olive oil. I'm liking it more and more now. I noticed less shedding and way less breakage. It moisturizes without weighing my hair down. Still got swang!

leiah

I love taliah waajid protective mist bodifier. I dont spray it, i pour a lot into my hand. Its the only thing that gives me moisture and softness for days

AlliCat

NTM Silk Touch is my ultimate fave (I'm relaxed 4a/b). I usually first apply a liquid spray leave-in conditioner then layer it with the creamy NTM. Then seal that moisture in with grapeseed oil. I think checking our your porosity is a good idea because those are really good moisturizers you've tried, so maybe there's a deeper issue.

MizzBFly

@ Spellinto

I have the same hair type and I finally decided to try Giovanni Leave In and one word, no two words- smooth and soft plus alot of product is not needed. I air dry using the scarf method and I smooth my hair down as it dries. I know it works because by the time my hair dries I DONT have to reapply nothing, I just choose to so I don't have to M&S the next day.

I also started using it on my daughter's hair she has a type 3 hair curl pattern and it really helps me detangle her hair after a wash, again the products leaves your hair soft:yep:

A cheaper alternative is SCurl I have good results with that as well, but I use that more as a daily moisturizer.

leona2025

My favorite leave in right now is AG FastFood Leave in Conditioner. I use this on wet/damp hair and I use redken antisnap. The only time I moisturize or add anything to my hair is usually wash day. I don't moisturize and seal daily.

GeorginaSparks

DB Daily Leave-in
DB Transitioning Creme

A question for the S-Curl users: How do you tolerate and/or mask the prominently distinctive Jherri Curl smell?
I like the AS I Am leave in too.

DB Daily Leave-in
DB Transitioning Creme

/QUOTE]

@PJaye would you suggest any of those for fine hair?
i have fine hair and i like it

My favorite leave in right now is AG FastFood Leave in Conditioner. I use this on wet/damp hair and I use redken antisnap. The only time I moisturize or add anything to my hair is usually wash day. I don't moisturize and seal daily.
Ive had my eye on this and the AG recoil but the price!! :nono:

spellinto

Before S Curl:

After S Curl:

Any questions? :giggle:

More reviews of S Curl in this thread.

Nonie: Thank you so much for the suggestion! I've tried SCurl in the past with bad results, but I'm willing to give it another go since I can't exactly remember what went wrong with it. I remember the formula leaving my hair a bit greasy, but I'm reading around here that they've changed the ingredients a bit so I'll keep an eye out for a bottle! How exactly do you use it on your hair? Do you use it daily? Is it safe to use in the winter (I live in the Northeast and the winters here can be deadly!)? I don't want to be left searching for another leave-in when the seasons change...