ladies with braids how often

plove

do you retouch your braids.
I have braids in my hair from April 26, and i think i really need to redo my braids (I have pic). I'm doing the C&G for two years and I'm going to leave my braids in until Sept or Nov. Nov will make one year. So how often do you redo your braids.

When I had extensions I could stand to leave them in about a month and half to two months. It's supposed to be bad to leave them in longer than three months, though.

SexySin985

I will be getting braid soon:D. What I plan to do is to keep them in for 3 months at a time (I want to do the C & G for 1 year). And every 6 weeks I will redu the front (that will be in cornrows) and the 2 rows at the back and sides of my head.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
WoW! I got my braids in the same day and mine look a hot mess! But it's up to you when you take them down and how much new growth you have. I have about 3/4 to 1 inch of newgrowth which means I should take them down asap. I can't do 3 months at a time they will fall out on their own. :lol:

cutiebe2

the C&G methos says leaving then in for more than two months wouldn't be a great choice. I would say heep them in for two months then take a break. Then put them back in until Nov.

plove

I plan on leaving them in until sept or Nov i just need to redo them cause i have about 1 inch of new growth.

sunshyne_krissy

I have had mine in for a little over a month and they are lookin raggity...lol I'm forcing my self to go another 3 weeks for minimal manipulation though. If I redo some every 2 weeks then they seem to be ok but still kinda rough. I guess cuz i co-wash and reg poo once a week.

dreysonsmommy2011

Well I am following the Crown&Glory method also and I am keeping my braids in for 2 months at a time. I do redo the sides and the back few rows every 2 weeks like suggested in the C&G method. This helps keep the braids from looking raggedy:p

renae226

I am doing the crown and glory method. How do you guys do your own braids? I tried plaiting my own hair and it looked horrible, I mean a hot mess. I always end up paying someone to braid it so that it look presentable. The braids I did were so lumped up and ugly. Please give me some tips. I watched the video on growafrohairlong.com, still didn't benefit.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.growafrohairlong.com has all the info you want. 2 months for the entire head of braids and redo the edges every 2 weeks. She (Robin) has a diagram of the areas for redo.

Your edges and nape area are sensitive and fragile and should not have hair hanging from it stressing it no more then 2 weeks. People leave them in so long and they blame braids for their edges being jacked. It's not the braids...it's the care of their own hair while in'em.

Nonie

I retouch them continually. I never redo all of them at once so I'm always redoing a braid. I always make sure the hairline braids are not dangling. I don't even give them a minute to do that. I touch them up as soon as they start to feel loose. Then I either start at the back and redo a few at a time while watching TV till I get to the front in a few days. Or I move onto where the parts are and do the braids that show on top when I style my hair, getting to the hidden ones last. So I can't really say how long I wait to redo. I redo them as needed. I have major hand-in-hair disease.

natural2008

I use to get my hair braided every other month and retouch every other month. For example if I got my hair braided in the brginning of January I would retouch at the end for February. I could not stand not being able to see my parts and having the freshly done look. When I re touched I did my perimeter as well as some of the top so if I wore my hair down or my braids in a low ponytail no one would notice my new growth. But I never left my braids up for longer than a two months.

carameldiva

I got micros about 6 weeks ago and I got the front, edges and rear re-done at precisely four weeks. My hair still looks great. It is starting to loosen a little in the back but I am planning on keeping them in for another 6 weeks at least unless my hair can't hang any longer.

cocoberry10

Does that usually happen every couple of weeks (i.e. do you re-do a braid after 2 weeks, etc.)?
I retouch them continually. I never redo all of them at once so I'm always redoing a braid. I always make sure the hairline braids are not dangling. I don't even give them a minute to do that. I touch them up as soon as they start to feel loose. Then I either start at the back and redo a few at a time while watching TV till I get to the front in a few days. Or I move onto where the parts are and do the braids that show on top when I style my hair, getting to the hidden ones last. So I can't really say how long I wait to redo. I redo them as needed. I have major hand-in-hair disease.

Nonie

Does that usually happen every couple of weeks (i.e. do you re-do a braid after 2 weeks, etc.)?

I can't really tell how soon it happens. I wash my hair twice a week, and human hair itself slides when you wash. Maybe not the first wash but maybe the third. And because I'm always feeling through my hair I might find one that needs redoing today and a few others and only do some. Then I'll get to the ones I didn't do tomorrow, but there might be a few new ones. So I'm always redoing one or another. And because they are so many, I really couldn't tell which one was done when and how long it was till it needed doing again. Also, by the time I get to the last one, the first one probably needs redoing. And since I have HIH, this is all very exciting to me. :lachen:

When it comes to my hair, I rarely do a lot of thinking/calculating, which is probably why I enjoy my hair so much. Not having times or dates control my regimen really does make the journey less stressful

Another thing to consider is growth rate. If your hair grows at the normal rate (1/2 inch per month), then you'll have that much growth anyway in a month; so that's the least amount of hair you should have below the starting point of your braids. Then human hair might slide when you wash, especially if the braided part isn't firmly done, so again the braids may get a little farther away from your scalp. Which is why some people will see a lot of "growth" while wearing braids and then find when they undo their hair, it's not as long as they thought.

So, really, rather than wonder how long it takes for me or anyone else before they need to redo their hair--because after all, everyone's growth rate is different so that info won't be helpful to you--just make a point to get your braids redone when they get loose. At least make sure the perimeter of your hair is always neat and firmly braided to avoid problems.

baddison

natural for good
Edges every 2 weeks...Whole head every month.

Corn rows every 2 weeks

Eta: I agree with Noni when you do them little continuously they always look freshly done.

Yup....:yep:. My cornrows come out every two weeks like clockwork. My hair gets its wash and DC, and some additional babying, then the cornrows go right back in within 24hrs. :yep:

PuddingPop

www.growafrohairlong.com has all the info you want. 2 months for the entire head of braids and redo the edges every 2 weeks. She (Robin) has a diagram of the areas for redo.

Your edges and nape area are sensitive and fragile and should not have hair hanging from it stressing it no more then 2 weeks. People leave them in so long and they blame braids for their edges being jacked. It's not the braids...it's the care of their own hair while in'em.

ITA. People always say that braids take your edges out. Its really not the braids, but the way you care for them.