Ladies who went from no-lye to lye.....

DiamondStar

Did you only apply the lye relaxer to the new growth? Shamboosie says in his book that the lye relaxer should also be applied to the hair previous relaxed with no-lye. He says there will be minimal breakage for a few days :(

I don't know about this...I just wanted to know how you all went about applying the lye relaxer over the no-lye. If you did apply it to all of your hair, was there a lot of breakage? If you did not, did you still experience breakage from switching to lye?

Was it worth it?

Thanks Ladies! I've searched through all lye-posts before creating this one :p

DMarie

Hi,

I was natural, decided I wanted to return to chemicals, relaxed all my hair with lye. My hair reverted about a month later cause I didn't smooth enough and probably didn't leave it on long enough and I used lots of protein afterwards. So, after 15 wks I gave myself another relaxer on all of my hair with PHYTO relaxer index 2. Afterwards, my hair was briefly straight but began to look not as straight then it became really D R Y !! I did not have breakage at all though and am gratful for that but I would not recommend it. I had to get serious about my hair to force moisture back into it and could imagine other women's hair drying out and breaking off easily. I think I was lucky and that I didn't loose any hair to dryness and breakage cause I was previously natural and my hair was exceptionally healthy and thick. Now I use a lye relaxer. I started using it after the PHYTO due to the dryness that relaxer caused. I am on my second lye touchup after PHTO and my hair is healthy, getting longer, swings and bounces and I'm happy about that. AND, most of all LUCKY. Eventhough I did not apply my last two relaxer chemicals onto my previously relaxed hair and only did the roots as I'm supposed to, I have come to see my old no-lye and lye relaxed sections corrected and are now straight too.

Good luck!!,
DMarie

jasmin

I also have Phyto and now I have dry, dry hair. I'll be doing a lye relaxer tomorrow but I'm only going to put it on the new growth for the most part. I'm not brave enough to pull it straight through.

Oh I had breakage in a couple of spots from Phyto reverting so soon on me. I moisturize and moisturize but never really sunk in.

Ladylynn

I just did a switch to lye. I applied the relaxer to my new growth as usual, then for the last 5 minutes, I put the relaxer on the rest of my hair. I didn't have any ill effects. No breakage, just tons and tons of moisture.

beloved1

I loves my Phtyo, but I was underprocessed the first time(had hair that quickly reverted the first time) and I realized you can't apply a plant relaxer like a lye relaxer. So this time I did it in small sections (thirds) and did a LOT of smoothing and so far it is wonderful. I did do some correcting as well, but I didn't just apply it to all my hair at once, towards the end of the application, I applied it to the most underprocessed parts. I do agree that the amazing thing about Phyto is that you don't lose any hair after relaxing. I think I have lost 5 (maybe 10) hairs this whole week after relaxing last week.

That said, I read somewhere that once you underprocess with regular no-lye it is impossible to correct, I don't know if it's impossible, but those areas still aren't as silky as my parts that were relaxed with only Phyto.

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
i had been using box perms (no-lye) all my life, but i turned that duty over to my stylist when i started seeing her about two years ago (i only get perms through her). just last week i visited my stylist and discovered that she's been using a lye relaxer on me the whole time. i had no idea. i can tell you that my hair feels great. everytime she does my hair, i can't stop touching it and now i know why!

btw, she uses revlon's professional lye relaxer. i've seen this in sally's before. it comes in a white jar with red lettering all over it. hth.

Chivara

When I switched from lye to no lye (I think I've switced a couple of times in my life), I didn't apply it to my whole head, just the new growth.

I didn't experience breakage from switching to lye.

AnjelLuvs

the lady that did my hair only applied to new growth... I dont know if she knew I used no lye previously, because it was my first time getting a perm there...

DiamondStar

Thank you so much for the replies ladies! :yay: I appreciate you responding. You guys are better than my girlfriends who don't know or really care what kind of relaxer they use at all..or if it's lye or no-lye. Hehe as long as the hair comes out straight, they don't care. :D
Any time I ask them hair questions...they look at me all crazy like... :look:

But they ask me questions all the time...like I look like a hair doctor. :p

Keep posting; I enjoy reading the responses.

Thanks, again!

Ladylynn

misscrystal said:
i had been using box perms (no-lye) all my life, but i turned that duty over to my stylist when i started seeing her about two years ago (i only get perms through her). just last week i visited my stylist and discovered that she's been using a lye relaxer on me the whole time. i had no idea. i can tell you that my hair feels great. everytime she does my hair, i can't stop touching it and now i know why!

btw, she uses revlon's professional lye relaxer. i've seen this in sally's before. it comes in a white jar with red lettering all over it. hth.

I also used revlon. It relaxed my 4b hair really well.