Ladies who wear roller sets, flexi sets, braidout sets: HELP!

FAMUDva

Just want to know how long your able to wear lets say a flexi rod set, roller set, or straw set (do people still wear those???)?

I basically want to know how you keep your curls from looking smooshed. I'm particularly talking about the type of roller sets that are too small for pincurling at night. I wear a bonnet and all, but the VERY next day my curls look all smooshed. In my siggy, I had to use a small curling iron on a few (like 5) tendrils to get them to look like the rest of my head on Day 2. Here is the set in question:

Day 1

Day 2:

BTW, I'm not talking about the curls loosing up. I actually LIKE that... what I'm talking about is the flat smooshed looking curls that are basically straight on day 2 and the only way to whip them back into shape after taking off the bonnet is using a curling iron. I HATE curling irons! :( Any suggestions on how to leave the SMOOSH behind when you're wearing a tight or smaller roller set?

TIA

senimoni

When I do the flexirod thing I usually try to push the coils up to my head and pin them down...not a "pin curl" per se....but perserving the curl that is already there.

Soul♥Flower

senimoni said:
When I do the flexirod thing I usually try to push the coils up to my head and pin them down...not a "pin curl" per se....but perserving the curl that is already there.

That's a really good idea.

shunta

Mine do this, too, and the only solution Ive found is to just pick them out with my fingers until it looks full again.

FAMUDva

senimoni said:

Good idea! I'm going to try this next time! Especially around the sides of my head where I lay on it to sleep.

crlsweetie912

I usually take small rods and roll up the few on the side where I sleep! Or any ones that look like they are looking messed up!

morehairplease

no suggestions FAMUDva :( sorry about, just wanted to ask what lip color are you wearing in the second pic? It is very pretty.

ThursdayGirl

alexstin said:
What I used to do for my flexirod set was bend over and then put my bonnet on.

This is basically what I do, but I don't wear a bonnet. Ladies with really curly hair do something similar, I think the technique is called pineappling? something like that.... anyways, i put a scarf around my edges... instead of wearing a bonnet. That way the curls are more towards the top of my head and I don't lay on them.

WaterChylde

Living and loving life
This is a good question. I did a flexirod set in December and I tried to push the curls up towards the top of my head with my scarf but it didn't work. Still had some smushed curls the next day. I'm going to try pinning them down like senimoni said.

FAMUDva

tishee said:
no suggestions FAMUDva :( sorry about, just wanted to ask what lip color are you wearing in the second pic? It is very pretty.

Thanks girl... It's MAC Chestnut lip liner with MAC Love Nectar lusterglass.

deltagyrl

I always wear my rollersets with the back up in a pretty clip so I can sleep sitting up like a mummy. The only other option (for me) is to re-roll my hair every night or deal with the "smush." :perplexed

Blu217

First off, you and your curls are beautiful!

K, I rollerset and if I want to keep my curls I have to roll up my hair each night. I sometimes pull my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head and wrap a scarf around, but that does cost me curliness. I've found no other way to really ensure my curls stay put without a lot of extra effort.

lonei

I have been going through this for the past week. I did a flexirod set (not combed out/pulled apart, I like them to remain as they were formed like ringlets) and for the first week I just put a net over it and tucked the ends under, some were a bit smooshed but after shaking my head about they fell into place. After a few days I used (slept in) hype hair satin rollers in say 2 of the curls that had really becomes messed up and in the morning they look fresh. Recently I have been piling all of the curls on top of my head in a really really loose ponytail and pining the curls inside it. I put my scarf on very loosely and go to bed. In the morning I would just shake them down and at times I have put a scarf over them for like 5 minutes for them to get back into place, otherwise I just wear it up which I love. I'm at work with it up and someone just said to me 'those are not the same curls from last week are they, wow, they look so fresh', 'yes and they will for another 2 weeks' I said, I leave mine in for 3 weeks, then wash and re-roll.

FAMUDva

prettypuff1 said:
lol i will reroll my hair nightly.. i can;t be bothered with sleeping funny

If you look at the pics from the set my stylist did, that would be very difficult to "re-roll". Not impossible, but more trouble than it's worth and it hurts to sleep in those long flexi rods. :look:

I don't sleep funny either, that's why I have problems with flat curls. :lol:

FAMUDva

Blu217 said:
First off, you and your curls are beautiful!

K, I rollerset and if I want to keep my curls I have to roll up my hair each night. I sometimes pull my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head and wrap a scarf around, but that does cost me curliness. I've found no other way to really ensure my curls stay put without a lot of extra effort.

Ahh, thanks lady! The same to you!

I guess I'll have to be a pinning or re-rolling chick if I want to keep the smoosh away. :lol: I'll try the pinning the next time to see if it helps. I've slept in those flexi rods before and it HURTS like madness, so I won't be doing that.

FAMUDva

lonei said:
I have been going through this for the past week. I did a flexirod set (not combed out/pulled apart, I like them to remain as they were formed like ringlets) and for the first week I just put a net over it and tucked the ends under, some were a bit smooshed but after shaking my head about they fell into place. After a few days I used (slept in) hype hair satin rollers in say 2 of the curls that had really becomes messed up and in the morning they look fresh. Recently I have been piling all of the curls on top of my head in a really really loose ponytail and pining the curls inside it. I put my scarf on very loosely and go to bed. In the morning I would just shake them down and at times I have put a scarf over them for like 5 minutes for them to get back into place, otherwise I just wear it up which I love. I'm at work with it up and someone just said to me 'those are not the same curls from last week are they, wow, they look so fresh', 'yes and they will for another 2 weeks' I said, I leave mine in for 3 weeks, then wash and re-roll.

THANK YOU girl! I'm gonna try it! I want mine to last at least 2 weeks. They're pretty much done for this week, but I got them to stretch for a week. Of course the salon did them this time. I'll reset them myself either tonight or tomorrow and see if I can make them last by doing what you've mentioned. If my hair was longer I wouldn't mind not pulling them apart, but I looked crazy when she didn't pull them out because of the length of my hair.

ALL of you have BEEN SO GREAT! Thanks LHCF sisters for coming to the rescue! I'm giving buns a break (and saving my edges) with roller sets, so hopefully by the spring I'll be better at this thing.

BTW, you're hair is AWESOME! Can't wait to be there one day!

Last edited:

prettypuff1

those are really nice curls( i meant to say that before) it would be kinda hard to sleep in the flexirods, that is the only thing i can think of is to reroll or sleep sitting up

sweetcashew

lonei said:

3 weeks? WOW!! My flexi rod sets last for about 3-4 days before I have to do them again.
I won't want to leave them in longer than that because my hair tangles and forms really tight knots that have to be cut out.

I wrap the curls out of my roller sets by the 3rd day because of knots also.
And FAMUDva, I'm searching every day for straws large enough to do a straw set on my hair. I'm planning on doing it just as soon as I can find those straws.

SUPER SWEET

The set looks very nice...
I just ordered that pillow neck thing to keep my head from smuching the sides. I will post once i receive it. Otherwise I just re-roll the sides :ohwell:

faithful

Beautiful curls! I also love that chestnut liner. I put lose bands around 4 sections of my hair, then pin the bands with a bobby pins on top of my head. I then put on a bonnet. In the morning, I take my hair down and shake.

WaterChylde

Living and loving life
FAMUDva said:
I'll try the pinning the next time to see if it helps. I've slept in those flexi rods before and it HURTS like madness, so I won't be doing that.
YES!!!! I set my hair on a Thursday night and I slept in the rollers so my hair would be fresh the next day. My hair was cute but that was the worst sleep ever. LOL

vaqtea

I wear my hair in rollersets ALL THE TIME!!

I would advise to keep the curl intact for the first few days ...

and then pull them apart the older the sets get. If that made sense! :look:

Or the only other way to perserve those curls is to sleep cute! Real cute! :)

Here are some pictures of my curls (after sleeping cute :) )

FAMUDva

vaqtea said:

Girl, your hair looks great! Very similar to how mine looked before she pulled out the curls. Although your curls drop more than mine. Thanks!

seraphinelle

Ohhhh...

Those look soo cute....

They look so 'fresh'

vaqtea said: