Ladies, PLEASE: I need help finding a new shampoo (really long)

CarLiTa

OMG! ARe you serious! I just found this thread and man, I've been using Pantene ProV Relaxed & Natural for quite a few months now... It said "Oil moisturizing shampoo" or whatever, so I thought "Oh that must be great for my hair because it won't dry it out like other shampoos"... I didn't know about the ingredients, and it's funny, when I do wash my hair, it ends up feeling like it has grease on it, and i SWEAR I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD THING! cuz it's a change from the white shampoos that leave my hair feeling really dry right after I shampoo it. I don't really like the Pantene R&N Conditioner, although I use it sometimes, I dont feel that it really moisturizes my hair.... I'm throwing them out!!!

This is the response I posted to a thread earlier that warned about Pantene ProV Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. When I think about it, I've had much drier hair that I used to, these past few months. But I thought it was a combination of things: sweating and not washing my hair afterwards, not moisturizing it on a daily basis, etc, but before I started using the Pantene ProV, I didn't do these things either, but my hair WASN'T as DRY!

So now, I really need help finding a new shampoo. My hair is feeling a little hard lately, maybe it's because I put an egg in it on Wednesday or something, and it's harder to detangle than it was a few weeks ago. I'm only 5.5 weeks post relaxer though... but I do have a good amount of new growth, from Surge, I guess.
I just found out what CONES were, from another website. I didn't know they were damaging to black hair... It's kind of hard finding a shampoo that does not have cones in it, I realize. For you ladies that use 'cone-less" shampoos, which ones do you use? do they make you hair feel truly more moisturized than the ones containing cones?

I just found this one online: FANTASIA Tea Tree Natural Shampoo Removes Build-Up Moisturizes, Invigorates & Helps Prevent Dry Hair & Itchy Scalp 12oz/355ml

Ingredients: Purified Water(Aqua), Sodium laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) Oil, Polysorbate 20, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynl Butylcarbamate, Aloe Barbadensis leaf Juice, Ethozydiglycol (and) Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract (and) Achillea Millefolium Extract (and) Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (and)Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (and) Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract (and) Berula Alba Leaf Extract (and) Betula Alba Juice (and) Equisetum Arvense Extract (and) Calcium Pantothenate (and) Inositol, Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Leaf Oil, Vitamin B Complex, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Fragrance.

Is that fine? It does have the Sodium Laureth Sulfate... HELP ME PLEASE!

balisi

To me, most of the ingredients look okay, with the exception of SLS and artificial colors. There was a time when I went "ingredient crazy" and would not purchase or use products with certain ingredients in them. Then I realized that I could still use those products (specifically the ones I already owned) in moderation. So I'll use them a couple of times a month, or use the shampoos containing "bad" ingredients on just my scalp while washing my strands with conditioner. Or I'll use an ACV rinse to undo any buildup. Sometimes there is just too much hype about things, and it is easy to buy into. I say, find out what works for you and your hair. There are a few SLS-and ALS-free shampoos out there. One in particular that I've used is the Grand Poo Bar from Oyin Handmade. I hated Pantene's R&N products and I did end up throwing them out. If your hair is feeling hard, it's time for lots of moisture. And remember that water (not oils) = moisture. Oils are lubricants.

caligirl

I really like Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. It softens and detangles my hair. It seems like my hair feels better and better with each use, like I could use it everyday with no problems. Plus, its inexpensive...$6 a bottle. I only lather up once and try not to use too much shampoo. Oh yeah, I have a year's worth of new growth.

angelbaby

Elucence is definitely the best shampoo I've ever used. My hair just gets softer , stronger, and silkier with every use. I have never used a shampoo that has made my hair feel like this before. Softer, silkier, and stronger hair equals less breakage for me.

MissB

I second the Keracare and Elucence shampoos. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, try the Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo.

CarLiTa

Thanks for the replies, girls... I think I will try between the Keracare or the Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. I want the hardness of my hair to go away. It doesn't really break much, but the fact that it's hard makes it hard to detangle.

Angelicus

I don't care too much for shampoos in general but:

I love MNT original shampoo. I also love the way Keracare Hydrating shampoo feels (but too expensive for me). Kenra shampoo was good but it's too expensive for me.

The discounted shampoos that I liked was: Optimum Care Collagen Shampoo (soft baby pink bottle).

Elasta shampoos (neutralizing and Creme Conditioning) are very effective in terms of cost and cleaning action! Highly recommended!

hairmaster

Can you find any shampoos that do not use sodium laureth sulfate,? One post earler said it is used to clean garage floors.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo is very moisturizing for my hair! It doesn't have SLS or SLES in it.

balisi

hairmaster said:
Can you find any shampoos that do not use sodium laureth sulfate,? One post earler said it is used to clean garage floors.
Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo with Pure Coconut Oil also does not contain any SLS, ALS or SLES. It is a super-fatted coconut based shampoo that can be used daily, although I prefer not to.

BAILEYSCREAM

Carlita,

I suggest Nexxus Therappe. I love it. I have others but Nexxus Therappe makes my hair feel very soft and moisturized.:)

I'm sure you'll like it.

luvSLave

hairmaster said:
Kenra, CON, NTM, Keracare Hydrating Detangling (has ALS, I think). Also, the better poos for color treated hair are more gentle and don't have it.

asubeauty

CarLiTa said:
This is the response I posted to a thread earlier that warned about Pantene ProV Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. When I think about it, I've had much drier hair that I used to, these past few months. But I thought it was a combination of things: sweating and not washing my hair afterwards, not moisturizing it on a daily basis, etc, but before I started using the Pantene ProV, I didn't do these things either, but my hair WASN'T as DRY!

So now, I really need help finding a new shampoo.

You know what?!?!? When I started experiencing a lot of breakage and it seemed as if my hair wasn't "growing" anymore, I had switched from Doo Gro shampoo to Pantene R&N!!!! I thought that it was stress, or hard water, or really bad hair habits, because I heard so many ppl rave about this product, but it may have just been the shampoo.