Ladies, do you let your partner help you with your hair?

didismirage4

My ex girlfriend had dreads and even though I didn't know how to twist her roots. I always gave her scalp massages with jojoba oil/coconut oil/shea butter/essential oil, rolled her dreads with coconut oil, washed her hair with all-natural soap, and while she lived with me her hair grew like a weed. In turn I taught her how to roller set my hair, mix my DC concoctions, and wrap my hair to speed up things in the AM, PM, or just in general.

The girl I've been dating has dreads and I find myself slowly doing things like giving her scalp massages (everyone around me basically has to deal with my hair care obsession) and she's given me twists (I'm natural now).

I've talked about this with my other friends and NONE of them do haircare with their partners. They've also said they would never let their partners touch/help them with their hair nor would they do their partners.

So what are your throughts, ladies? And why or why not? As much detail as possible please! I'm excitedly looking forward to everyone's answers :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I think it's cool to let your partner in on the whole hair-care process. My fiance did my BC for me one day when I was tired of seeing the two textures of my natural roots and relaxed ends and I just told him to cut off the straight hair. When I told my girlfriend that, she was aghast that I had let him see me with my short kinks. She said her husband will never see her without her hair done. EVER. lol. To each his own. My fiance has since embraced my natural hair months later, helping me blend my own shea butter/natural oils concoction, and encourages me to wear my own hair on days I wear half-wigs. He even once mentioned maybe dreading his hair one day, which I hope he does because I think they are so cute. :grin:

I used to be with this guy and I told him I wanted him to help me with my relaxer. Then he told me, "you need a girlfriend to help you do that".

I was crushed.

My dh massages my scalp and when I put the Whipped Gelly in it and twist it he will twist it in the back for me if he is sitting watching TV, I just hop on the floor in front of him and he does a great job....He loves playing in my hair....But there are very few things we don't do together......so it just seems natural to us....Never even thought of it as he was helping me with my hair till this moment...so yeah I guess he does

I think it's cool to let your partner in on the whole hair-care process. My fiance did my BC for me one day when I was tired of seeing the two textures of my natural roots and relaxed ends and I just told him to cut off the straight hair. When I told my girlfriend that, she was aghast that I had let him see me with my short kinks. She said her husband will never see her without her hair done. EVER. lol. To each his own. My fiance has since embraced my natural hair months later, helping me blend my own shea butter/natural oils concoction, and encourages me to wear my own hair on days I wear half-wigs. He even once mentioned maybe dreading his hair one day, which I hope he does because I think they are so cute. :grin:

This is tooo cute!!!!:heart3: He should dread his hair lol.. I always end up only dating girls with dreads which is easy to do where I live.

I used to be with this guy and I told him I wanted him to help me with my relaxer. Then he told me, "you need a girlfriend to help you do that".

I was crushed.

Awwwww.. so you would let your current or next partner help if they wanted to? Or would you ask them if they would like to?

My dh massages my scalp and when I put the Whipped Gelly in it and twist it he will twist it in the back for me if he is sitting watching TV, I just hop on the floor in front of him and he does a great job....He loves playing in my hair....But there are very few things we don't do together......so it just seems natural to us....Never even thought of it as he was helping me with my hair till this moment...so yeah I guess he does

This is really lovely. I used to have a phobia about other people touching my hair till I just naturally fell into doing so in a relationship. So you taught him how to twist or he just kind of picked it up watching you?

He just picked it up from watching me.....at first I would keep touching the ones he did to see if they felt funny...but he was merely doing what I was doing...and my hair is short so hard to mess up anything anyway

My dh helps me take down my braids when I have extensions and he is white so it was a learning experience...to say the least. He HATES any kind of fake hair!

My dh helps me take down my braids when I have extensions and he is white so it was a learning experience...to say the least. He HATES any kind of fake hair!

LOL...so does my husband and he is black :lachen::lachen::grin:

That cracked me up...I can see his face...like what and why

I was going to let mine help with a relaxer until he kept saying "I can paint your hair" :lachen:.

My bf keeps telling me he wants to help. I'm scared of a disaster lol although last week i let him comb my hair it wasn't to bad i had to redo my roots but the rest was tangle free.

Oh, hoooooow sweet is this! I don't let my husband touch my hair. He compliments and gives my support. But, he don't even use lotion, so he's not touching my dang hair. :nono:

:naughty: No touchy touchy!!

Hubby is supportive in every other way but, uh...no thanks.

Oh, he often offers to help with my hair but, it always sounds like a threat. He's like, "Here. Let me help you with that. :Devil: "(<- notice the evil grin)
And I'm like,:brucelee: "Back up! I got this!":brucelee:

My hubby did a few trims for me. Poor guy was so scared he would mess up and give me a setback lol He refused to trim more than 1" at a time. He did a good job though. He prefers being my hair photographer alone.

:lachen::lachen:Too funny I was just thinking about this the other day. He asked could he press/flat iron my hair and gave him the :ohwell: ummm no I'm happy with my not so straight permed hair. He keeps talking about pressing combs and la la and I'm like you just don't realize I'm about to stop direct heat and stretching especially since it's warming up. :spinning: I will say he likes giving me scalp massages though but when he hands get caught up in my new growth he goes to talking about pressing combs and such again oh well. :yawn:

Chile, my husband taught me how to rollerset. His first wife was a stylist and she enlisted his help on a regular back when they were married. He showed me how to get the rollers snug. I have a very supportive husband who listens to(tolerates) all my hair talk and helps me when I need it :grin:. I rarely rollerset now though because I rarely straighten...4xs per year.

scalp massages...hair rinsing...yup and i luv it.. ;)

men have questions about female hair too--lol..gives them a reg platform to discuss in btwn kissing and caressing...without feelin all weird

My guy will wash it sometimes, i love that. But it's a lot less sexy now that i divide it in 4 sections. He gives good scalp massages too. I'll let him play in / with it all he wants,

BUT

I would not let him detangle, comb, style, apply product...or otherwise DO my hair.
No gracias.

Heck yeah. He loves/want all this hair. I would have cut it before. He has no issues helping.

Last edited:
I've let him wash my hair and give me scalp massages. Y'all.... :lol: I asked him if my fro was "right" in the back.... whyyyyyyy did he grab my pick and go to town (like he knew what he was doing) :lachen: I just stood there and let him. It was a lil lopsided (I fixed it by patting it down) but he was so proud.

HIM------>:grin: ------------------------------ ME--------->:look:

When I told him that I was going to teach him how to twist my hair he was as giggly as a schoolgirl. Some men LOVE bonding with us just as much as we do with them.:yep:

Back