LADIES ACROSS THE POND, I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Hey y'all,

I'm moving to Dusseldorf, Germany (from the states) this December for work and I was just wondering if there were any lhcf ladies across the pond that know of AA salons in the area? Are you natural or relaxed? Do you do your own hair? Are there any salons that work w/ Black hair near you? Are there even any Black ppl in Germany??.....j/k:lachen::lachen:

Thanks!

Yes, there are lots of black people in Germany. I lived there for 4 years. :grin: I don't know about Dusseldorf because I lived in Kaiserslautern, but there are TONS of Africans there (some of them even own their own salons). Most of their salons do braiding, but some of them do full service.

There is one in K-town called New York Styles. They were "okay". They got the job done if you need something for a formal event, but I wouldn't frequent them on a regular basis.

Also, you can almost ALWAYS find a military wife (on or near one of the US bases) that does hair. Just ask around when you get there.

If you need anymore info about Germany in general, please feel free to PM me. :yep:

I am no longer in Germany, grew up there. maybe you can pm some of the ladies in this thread. It's a ladies in Germany thread

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=316255&highlight=european

Maybe someone there can help. Where I was, in Olsterholz Shambeck, near Bremahaven no one could do black hair to save their life. That's probably another reason I stayed natural through my childhood and teens. I got so many compliments though. I never once had the negativity that the naturals sometimes suffer in the U.S for not being relaxed but that's another story for another time. Anyways I hope that link helps. I hope someone can help.

I hope you don't mind, I moved your questions from the PM to here. Trying to type alot of info in the PM block makes my eyes go :spinning:.

So to answer your questions:

In general, blacks are treated MUCH better in Germany (and Europe in general) than back here in the states. You have absolutely NOTHING to worry about in that area. Germans are friendly and hospitable people. Try to learn at least a few words in German - it will endear you to them if they see you learn something other than "sprechen zie englisch?" ("Do you speak English?") :lachen:

While many of them DO speak English, remember - you're a guest in THEIR country, and their national language is German. I saw alot of "ugly Americans" (even my aunt was one of them when she came to visit). Talkin' all loud up in the restaurant talkin about "why ain't no ICE in the soda?!" Uhhhh - because Germans don't really LIKE ice in their drinks! Stuff like that tends to irritate them and make them look at you like . :ohwell:

Also, it is extremely SAFE in Germany. I've never worried about anything crazy happening like I do when I'm here in the states. I could go anywhere, at any time of day or night and be fairly certain no one would bother me.

As for the men, European men aren't shy about asking a sista out. There is a pretty large Turkish population in Germany, and Turkish men L-O-V-E them some black women!! Three of my closest girlfriends met, and married Turkish men over there.

The food is good, but really unhealthy. I gained 30 pounds in the 4 years I lived there. My mom was like "what HAPPENED to you?!?!" when she came to visit.:grin:

And yes, I was relaxed there, but I kept my hair braided mostly, because I really didn't start with the whole healthy hair thing until I returned to the states.

I think I got all your questions, but if not - hit me up. Feel free to continue picking my brain as you think of more questions. I know later on you'll be like "ohhh, I should've asked her about....." So I'll go ahead and extend you an open invitation right now..... :grin:

Hey I live in Liege Belgium...there are black salons in Liege, Brussels, and Antwerp. I've been to Dusseldorf...I'm really jealous! It's a nice city. I'm sure there are black salons there, as Dusseldorf is a college town, and there are a lot of blacks in Germany. I know there is a black salon in Aachen, because I had their card...I'll see if I can get another card this weekend from my husband's barber (who is black and lives in Germany) to get it for you. The good thing is there are a LOT of US bases in Germany, and usually all of those communities will either have an American black hairstylist (no offence meant, but the african salons do things a little differently than we do in the US), who will use products that you are more familiar with.

Near the US Air Force base in Kaiserslautern, there is a lady who does hair. Her name is Maya Smith...you have to book her in advance, though, because she is always really busy. Just go to google and type in Maya Smith, Master Hairstylist, Kaiserslautern...her page should come up. I think Ramstein is about two hours from Dusseldorf, though...also, be prepared for things to be a little more pricey than they are in the States. I do my own relaxers, but when I used to get them done, it cost me around 60 or 70 euros, which is about 100 dollars (and that was the cheapest). In the UK, I used to pay 60 pounds (about 120 dollars). Thus, the reason why I started doing relaxers myself!!!!!

PM me if you need more info...

Thanks so much for responding ladies! You have me even more amped to hop across the pond (if that's even possible)! Lol @ ugly Americans...I don't think I'll have that problem. I love learning about new cultures, and I'm *trying* my best to learn a little German.... :-/...

$120 for a perm? Holyyyyy. Yeah, another reason to stick with my transition....

Thanks again, ladies! Oh, and expect pm's as I'm sure I'll have a million questions :D

How do Black folks wear their hair in Germany if they do it themselves? And more stories about Germany and Germans please.

Last edited:
Back