Knowing your Stretching limits

trinidarkie1

My last relaxer was March 18th. This weekend makes 12 weeks.
I was hoping to stretch until September, but I realise that I am breaking a bit, my ends are breaking even with the moisturizing and bantu knots at night.
I know the difference between the shedding and the breakage.

How do you ladies know when your hair has reached it's stretching limits?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hi Trini,

If you ends are breaking, I can't see your stretch being the reason for that. Your "line of demarcation" is the only place that should possibly be experiencing breakage due to stretching.

As far as knowing your limit, I say when your hair just becomes too difficult to manage even with all of the regimental things that have previously worked, then it's time to touch up. :)

trinidarkie1

Cos when I apply moisturizer to the ends I get little 1cm - 1in pieces.
Sometimes I get more than the other.
I dont want to lose my length at all, it's not hard to manage. I have my conditioner Mix and I use a braid spray. I also have mango butter for moisture and do my co washes and deep conditions.

I guess I just have to protect my ends better.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I know that I will only stretch 10-14 weeks. That's my limit. Anything more than that I need to be wearing braids or cornrows to keep manipulation to a minimum.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree w/Supergirl, and it sounds to me as if you need to add some protein to help w/an overload of moisture, sometimes too much moisture can cause the hair to break easy, and just doing a protein treatment followed by a DC can help stop the breakage. Don't give in just yet, try a protein treatment if you haven't already and see how it goes after that.
trinidarkie1 said:
I dont want to lose my length at all, it's not hard to manage. I have my conditioner Mix and I use a braid spray. I also have mango butter for moisture and do my co washes and deep conditions.

trinidarkie1

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I agree w/Supergirl, and it sounds to me as if you need to add some protein to help w/an overload of moisture, sometimes too much moisture can cause the hair to break easy, and just doing a protein treatment followed by a DC can help stop the breakage. Don't give in just yet, try a protein treatment if you haven't already and see how it goes after that.

Can you tell me of a good protein treatment to get?
I dont even think I've done of those for the year :eek:

Candy_C

i'm gonna stretch to just 2 months rather than 3. i'm getting way too much regrowth with my vitamins, and my scalp starts to misbehave. breakage from the ends shouldn't really be increased when your due, maybe just a tad bit more and your ends will be thinner cuz of the new growth growin outwards. do u guys think every 2 months will be ok for my scalp? i've never had to relax so early b4 /

~*~ShopAholic~*~

:eek: Oh my, well there are a few that I like, I but I love the instant results I get from Aphoghee which I use every 6wks (some only use this on an as needed basis since it's a harcore protein treatment) I shampoo w/a moisturizing poo first then apply to already detangled hair, sit under the dryer until it is rock harder (DO NOT comb or manipulate your hair while it's in or while rinsing it out) once it's rinsed out I shampoo again w/a moisturing poo and then follow w/a moisturizing DC. The directions are on the bottle and as long as you atleast follow them to a T you should be fine.
Elasta AP also makes a mild protein treatment call Intensive Treatments serum.
Nexxus Emergencee- is a mild-hard protein
and Nexxus Keraphix is a light protein treatment.
ORS hair mayo-medium protein treatment.
It sounds to me like you should do a hardcore treatment since you haven't had one in awhile, but if you don't feel too sure about that you can try something like the ORS hair mayo/or one of the medium/light treatments and see if the breakage stops.[quote=trinidarkie1]Can you tell me of a good protein treatment to get?
I dont even think I've done of those for the year :eek:[/quote]

trinidarkie1

I've used Apoghee before, so I know what to expect with the hardening hair :lol:
I think I might have some at home.

I lied though, it's been years since my last Apoghee treatment.

Do I have to shampoo? Can I co wash after I do the Protein treatment?
I think I'll do it tomorrow night after the gym and do my DC on Saturday.

How often should I clarify then? Because I think I only shampoo twice a month. Once to clarify, followed by Porosity Control and the other for moisture.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I bumped up a few protein threads, and maybe you can read Sistaslicks sticky on breakage if you haven't already.

lol, I'm glad you already know about the aphoghee, not only the hardening but the smell too, :lol: . I never co-washed after a protein treatment, maybe you could give it a try and let us know how it works for you. If you haven't clarified in awhile I would clarify first then poo w/a moisturizing shampoo then do the aphoghee, just make sure you DC w/ a moisturing conditioner to balance out the protein, Aphoghee ain't no joke. I believe since I started using it on a regular basis (every 6wks) I;ve been able to retain my length and haven't had any breakage problems in awhile, I also did an overload of moisture awhile back and doing light protein treatments on a regular wasn't enough for my hair.

trinidarkie1

Thanks BeautifulWideEyes. I have read Sistaslick's thread on breakage.
I'll clarify (Kiwi and Lime Squeeze), Nexxus Therappe for moisture, Apoghee and Deep Condition with Ors Replenishing Pak.

MissYocairis

trinidarkie1 said:

How will relaxing your roots influence or make the very tips of your ends stronger? Do you do protein?

trinidarkie1

I dunno CantbeCopied, I was just brain farting :lol:

I'm going to try that protein and see what happens for the rest of the week.

Candy_C

trinidarkie1 said:
My last relaxer was March 18th. This weekend makes 12 weeks.
I was hoping to stretch until September, but I realise that I am breaking a bit, my ends are breaking even with the moisturizing and bantu knots at night.
I know the difference between the shedding and the breakage.

How do you ladies know when your hair has reached it's stretching limits?

is you hair naturally dry? if your breaking maybe you need more internal moisture. have you tried the Omega oils (such as flax, primrose) these will really help stop breakage at your ends

Faith

Yeah be careful with this. I did an 18 week stretch and ended up losing more than I gained. I think 18 weeks MAY have been ok IF I had been properly relaxed beforehand. I think about13 weeks is my limit.

Last edited:

Doll

My last relaxer was Feb. 6th and I am aiming for June 6th as a stopping point. This is the longest I have ever stretched and its not so bad! Thanks to evoo for Prepoo, ORS replenishing pak for DC, NTM, Garnier long and strong, jojoba/tea tree oils for sealing, and last, but not least stay soft fro from a tube (softened thickest most tangled NG at back of my head). I may try a long stretch again in the Fall/Winter months.

LovelyZ

What makes me feel like I have reached my limit is when my roots are too difficult to part through to do my roller sets. Roller sets are my favorite way to dry/style my hair after a wash; so if I can't do one without ripping through my roots, I feel compelled to get a touchup.

MizAvalon

Trinidarkie, what's the longest you've ever stretched before? I find that the biggest mistake people make when trying to stretch is trying to stretch too long, too quickly. If a person normally relaxes at 8-10 weeks, trying to do something crazy like stretch for 6 or 7 months right off the bat is the wrong move. You're practically guaranteed to lose a bunch of hair because you don't know what you're doing, get discouraged and never try it again.

The way I did it was I eased myself into it. Every relaxing cycle I went another 2 weeks longer than the previous time. I used to relax every 6 or 7 weeks.:eek: Now I go to 20 weeks *minimum*.

Ladies who want to try stretching, PLEASE don't try to go a really long time at first. You're gonna lose hair that way. Take your time, educate yourself about what it is YOUR hair needs. That's if you can even stretch at all. Some people can't.

trinidarkie1

I've been stretching for years.
These last two stretches have just been the only times that i paid attention to my hair care.