Knots/Tangles/Matted hair under extensions

ReeN.

Ok. I need major advice. I just took out my extensions (I wear 3 tracks at the back) after 9 weeks and I have major knots and tangles in the hair that the extensions were sewn into. I lost a lot of hair as some of the knots just had to be pulled out, I couldn't salvage any more strands :sad:
I'm thinking I shoudl maybe limit the number of washes per week to just once cos I do it twice at the moment.
Can anyone suggest anything? I was SO upset when I relaxed my hair cos I just felt that my hair was going down the drain...:ohwell:

chosen1

Sorry for your bad experience. You cant go back in time. :ohwell: I would trim my hair even, do and intense protein treat, then f/u with a moisturizing conditioner. For the future, if you do a sew in, make sure your braides are sprayed down with a good moisturizing spray before unbraiding them. take your time. When you come to a tangle or knot. separate it one hair at a time with finger. Dont rake comb in the hair. This is what works for me. Hope you get more ideasI hope you have better success with you next sew in. Try to keep product build up to a minimum with sew ins.

msa

Well if you get tracks again, make sure you moisturize your hair often. Also, you're right, minimizing the washing does help to ward off matting.

And be careful when you remove your braids, don't let the hair get tangled up with each other. Detangle it as you go along with something slippery and make sure it's fully detangled. Twist it to make sure it doesn't get tangled up while you're doing the rest.

ReeN.

Chosen1, thank you so much, I already did exactly what you suggested. I DC'd with a heavy protein conditioner and followed up with moisturefuse. The knots were really matted near my roots, just under the track so I lost a substantail amount of har! I really hope my hair is better next time...
Hey msa, I can always count on you for great advice :) I tried to use some serum when detangling my hair but that didn't seem to help much! Btw, how do I get pictures up? Lemme get searching...

hurricane

Oh man. I hate that. Next time saturate your extentions with s-curl. This has saved my hair when I used to wear extentions. When you take your hair down it should look like a wet braid out.

ReeN.

Thanks a lot Hurricane, I'll look for that when I go to the hair shop. tbh I'm quite sick of my bloody hair, I just think its trying to spite me :-( I don't think it's been any better since I started the whole healthy hair thing, my ends look weird and it never fully relaxes anymore!!! *sighs*

HairBella08

I wore weaves back to back for quite a while and I noticed that I had less tangles and knots when I washed once a week or every 1.5 to 2 weeks. I think hair tangles easily in the back if the braids end there (if that makes sense) and they probably hold more water there so they don't dry properly. I think you did the right thing by trying to hide your hair away. That's the only thing that worked for me, but it did require me to still keep it healthy underneath. Seems like others have given some good advice to get you on your way so I hope it helps.

shunemite

When I had this problem, I took a small toothpick and spent a WEEK detangling my hair strand by strand painstakingly every evening, and during the day covered my hair. I lost just a handful of hair. And ever since, I've never made the mistake of not maintaining what's under there.