Kinky-Curly (Like Miss Jessie's): Has anyone used this product line?

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

I stumbled on a site called kinky-curly. The products remind me of Miss Jessie's. I was wondering if anyone used the products. Here is there site.
http://www.kinky-curly.com/home.html

Come Clean

Knot Today
KNOT_TODAY-59x208.png

Curling Custard
CURLING_CUSTARD-153x187.png

Spiral Spritz
SPRIAL_SPRITZ-61x213.png

Glass Pomade
GLOSS_POMADE-141x138.png

Transitioners Tonic
TRANS_TONIC-92x244.png

Before and Afters
JENBEFORE.jpg

JENAFTER.jpg

WEBNYLABEFORE.bmp

WEBNYLAAFTER.bmp

WEBDESTINYBEFORE.bmp

WEBDESTINYAFTER.bmp

The curling custard is wonderful at definition. It really does define the curls well but if you use too much its CRUNCH city..its like it freezes your curls in time.:nono:

I used the curling custard a long time ago and I did not like it at all! This stuff made my hair so stiff, crunchy and Ugh. I used it to hold down my edges when I was super stretching but I only did it when I knew I would be washing my hair the very next day. This product was not for me.

I have Knot Today and it's alright. It took them a while to send it, so I probably won't bother to buy it again.

I used the knot today and the custard. Both were just ok for me. The custard has the slimiest texture ever. Me no likey that.

I tries kinky curly and miss jessies and the custard defined my curls better than miss jessies but I hated that sticky feel it left on my hair.

The Custard defines and holds curls like nobody's business if you get your technique down. For me, it's to use liberal amount and comb or denman brush through on very wet hair. From there, it's airdry (or sit under the dryer for a few to dry it a bit)

My other method was to do the above and then flat twist or twist the perimeter, then put on a satin scarf snugly. I'd usually part down the middle or something. In the morning, I'd take the scarf off in the morning, undo the twists and that was it.

You can layer the custard over a moisturizing leave-in to keep it softer as it dries. I haven't used this in a long time though.

The pomades smelled lemony but I only purchased it once I think. I'd reorder the Custard. I'm natural by the way and I think hair that is texturized, texlaxed, relaxed or very loosely curled could use way less.

p1

The Custard defines and holds curls like nobody's business if you get your technique down. For me, it's to use liberal amount and comb or denman brush through on very wet hair. From there, it's airdry (or sit under the dryer for a few to dry it a bit)

My other method was to do the above and then flat twist or twist the perimeter, then put on a satin scarf snugly. I'd usually part down the middle or something. In the morning, I'd take the scarf off in the morning, undo the twists and that was it.

You can layer the custard over a moisturizing leave-in to keep it softer as it dries. I haven't used this in a long time though.

The pomades smelled lemony but I only purchased it once I think. I'd reorder the Custard. I'm natural by the way and I think hair that is texturized, texlaxed, relaxed or very loosely curled could use way less.

p1
Did it help reduce your shrinkage after your hair dried? I would like something to help elongate and define the curl.

I'm a cnapp so didn't bother with the curling custard, but I tried the Knot Today as a detangler. I traded it away. It's alright, but I can do better with cheapie Moisture Milk conditioner. I guess it's not too bad since I don't have to rinse it out, but not worth the money, I don't think.

Did it help reduce your shrinkage after your hair dried? I would like something to help elongate and define the curl.

Heck to the yeah!!! I can't even front.

Here's my hair a day or two after I used one of the processes I mentioned
Noble060.jpg

About the Knot Today, she used to include a note (on the site or products, not sure) that said VO5 Strawberries and Cream could be subbed.

p1

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic is still huge. I think I'll have to remove that sucker! lol!

p1

I just started using the custard last week after my BBD glass ran out. I totally agree with the other comments about crunch city. I use a leave in before, but am still trying to work out the right ratio to avoid the crunch. I will say it is great for curl definition and elongating your curls. I don't have to do much on day 2 to refresh or defrizz either.

Heck to the yeah!!! I can't even front.

Here's my hair a day or two after I used one of the processes I mentioned
Noble060.jpg

About the Knot Today, she used to include a note (on the site or products, not sure) that said VO5 Strawberries and Cream could be subbed.

p1
Now that's very nice!! Love the pink barrettes!! I love that look! Thanks for posting that picture. I think that would be a good wash and almost go style for my workout days.....

ETA:
Holy Smokes I got some VO5 Strawberries and Cream for like .79 cents at Publix :blush: I bet that's about $12.00 - $15.00 cheaper than they're charging on that site:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have the spray for curls, don't remember the name of it, but it didn't work. I don't know what exactly it was supposed to do, but it did nothing at all. I ended up mixing it in a spray bottle with half water, that I saturate my hair with before I add gel or curling creams. Don't know if it helps though :perplexed

I found the Curling Custard unbearably sticky. I hated the feel of it on my hands let alone in my hair. I finally tossed the rest of the jar away.

Now that's very nice!! Love the pink barrettes!! I love that look! Thanks for posting that picture. I think that would be a good wash and almost go style for my workout days.....

ETA:
Holy Smokes I got some VO5 Strawberries and Cream for like .79 cents at Publix :blush: I bet that's about $12.00 - $15.00 cheaper than they're charging on that site:rolleyes:

Thx! :)

I met her when I was living in Los Angeles. Back then she made something called Jojoba Jelly (and the pomade I think). She met me and a friend at friend's house and brought the products and talked about them, etc. Her hair was long and fabulous and she was very nice. I think she probably took the VO5 hint off when she switched from paper labels over to the non-paper labeling. I ain't mad at her though. I'm sure that boosted Knot Today sales.

The transitioner tonic sounds good (transitioning or not).

p1

Good reviews ladies! I saw the site before and I have it bookmarked but I never thought to come here and get a review on the products.

Thanks again OP for posing the question.

BB

I can't believe I waited so long to finally try these products. They are my STAPLES! I LOVE LOVE this product. The key to using the custard is remember a lil goes a long way. I use the Knot Today as a leave-in under the custard. It really eliminates my frizz and shrinkage. I apply the KT & KCCC on freshly washed & conditioned hair. I use the Spiral spritz to refresh my hair on 2nd day and beyond. I usually will add a lil oil in the palm of my hand before I spray the spriral spritz to seal the moisture in my hair.

My siggy pic is day 4 of a KCCC style.

HTH

ETA: Elucence Moisture balancing condish also works great under KCCC.

I can't believe I waited so long to finally try these products. They are my STAPLES! I LOVE LOVE this product. The key to using the custard is remember a lil goes a long way. I use the Knot Today as a leave-in under the custard. It really eliminates my frizz and shrinkage. I apply the KT & KCCC on freshly washed & conditioned hair. I use the Spiral spritz to refresh my hair on 2nd day and beyond. I usually will add a lil oil in the palm of my hand before I spray the spriral spritz to seal the moisture in my hair.

My siggy pic is day 4 of a KCCC style.

HTH

ETA: Elucence Moisture balancing condish also works great under KCCC.
Ahhhhh so THAT's your secret!! I have always admired your hair and I was going to hit you up on the PM just as soon as I grow enough hair to do something with!! LOL
Thanks for the update...I think it will be worth a try...:yep: I really like the idea of using the Eluecence under the KCCC for moisture.

Back