Keratin vs. Human hair keratin...which do i focus on?

Dposh167

....whether it be hydrolyzed or not. As a relaxed head...i know that keratin is extra important...and i know about the regular keratin vs. Hydrolyzed keratins and their molecules penetrating the cuticle layers and all that mess. This isnt a thread about the definition. I just wanted to know if i should be focusing more on products that have HUMAN HAIR KERATIN (hydrolyzed or not)...as opposed to just keratin (hydrolyzed or not).???.....since human hair keratin is supposed to be an exact match to our natural keratin that is lost during the relaxing phase...i guess what im asking is: can my hair benefit from only using keratin and hydrolyzed keratin as opposed to human hair?...will it properly replenish the natural keratin that is lost...or do i need to focus on human hair keratin for that?.....this maybe a difficult question

Dposh167

JUST TO ADD......im talking about protein washes during a stretch.....Not which protein to use right after a relaxer

Chameleonchick

I don't know I know that products with keartin attatch iteself to the hair for a period of time but will eventually wind up getting rinsed out over time. Maybe human keratin with attatch and bond permanently since it is exactly the same..But I guess the answer really is I don't know, just trying to brainstorm with you.

gymfreak336

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The reason I say that is because keratin, regardless of the type, is only as good as the source meaning that there are tiers of quality in the same protein. Because of that, I would focus on finding the conditioner that makes your hair feel better. Which one of your protein conditioners performs the best on your head? Yes the quality of the protein is important but so is the overall formula and delivery system.

Joico IMO makes some the best protein products but not everyone will have success with them. Could I say that Joico probably uses some of the best quality HHk, yes, but that means nothing if your hair doesn't like it.

I try to use products have have keratin and vegetable protein. Vegetable protein is one of the best ones for your hair. Navs talked about it in one of her threads (if I find it, I will send you the link).

If you are concerned with giving your hair a balanced profile of strengthening, then I would supplement my protein products with fortifying products that use other methods to strengthen hair like polymers, ceramides, B5, fruit acids etc... Many of the drugstore lines that say fortifying and anti-breakage use things like this and not actually proteins. Redken extreme is another one that doesn't really use alot of protein but instead uses ceramides.

Last edited:

Dposh167

^^ahhh i c. to tell u the truth i noticed how well vegetable protein strengthens..actually better than my keratin products. But i tend to shy away from the veggie cuz i thought i should be focusing more on keratin to replenish.

gymfreak336

^^ahhh i c. to tell u the truth i noticed how well vegetable protein strengthens..actually better than my keratin products. But i tend to shy away from the veggie cuz i thought i should be focusing more on keratin to replenish.

Naw girl, go with what ya like and notice results with. If you like vegetable protein you need to go look at naked naturals. I have seen it at walgreens and sometimes Target. I use the shampoo like it is nobodies business. Paul Mitchell superstrong has vegetable protein in it too if I remember correctly. Artemis was just talking about it with not to long ago. Aphogee products have it in there too which is nice if you are looking for a cheap product with both.

morehairplease

poochie thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering this too after looking at the protein in the products I use and searching the forum re:hydrolyzed and human keratin.

Last edited: