Keratin Treatment Support Thread

AtlantaJJ

For those of us with naturally porous hair may not need to do a color to get the treatment to take....

I would try it first without the color to see if my theory is correct. My hair is porous if I don't take measures to keep my cuticles sealed, such as using low pH products.

I wonder if the clarifying shampoos that come with the BKT kits have a high pH? That would make sense in order to lift the cuticle of the hair to accept the treatment.

sheba1

I wonder if the clarifying shampoos that come with the BKT kits have a high pH? That would make sense in order to lift the cuticle of the hair to accept the treatment.

They do :yep: I don't know the exact ph but they're said to be "specially designed to raise the cuticle".

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Just finished my BKT!!! I'm loading my pics right now, I'll edit the post to add them.

the tools

Last night I parted may hair into 6 sections, sprayed my aloe,glycerine and rose water mix on it and sealed with avocado oil. I used my baby's no break elastics to make the poneytails.

Close up of my new growth and texlaxed hair.

Freshly clarified hair

naked blow dry - this was the worst part. I was so scared I was going to fry my hair. I let it air dry 80% then used the ionic cryer and ceramic vent brush. I love the 9.99 dryer and 7.99 brush though!

hair divided in 7 sections

bkt applied! We did it on the back porch with a fan blowing beside us. Not a lot of fumes. I smelled like something like chocolate when applied. Notice my hair isn't soaking int he product. I only used 1/2 of the 2.4oz bottle I ordered - QOD Max is the brand.

Not a great pic - bkt applied then hair blown dry on medium heat.

Here is post flat iron. I really like the way it turned out. It's light, swangin', and shiny as heck. That's all my mom kept saying while she was flat ironing it, "it's so shiny! and Not shedding like it normally does" After she took this pic we trimmed at least 1 inch off all over. I haven't had a good trim since I cute 4+ inches off last May. I'll take another post pic when I haves omeone to take it for me.

It was a great experience all and all. Now we gotta see how long it last and if it reallt does what people say for the next 4-6 weeks. I plan on cutting back on my washing to 1x per with with a sulfate/salt free keratin shampoo and dcing with silicon mix. When I get my technique down I'll try a rollerset with my Lacio Lacio.

Last edited:

girlyprincess23

Ooh Im so happy to have a place to come and discuss the product. I wonder if it will be made a sticky. I' going to bookmark it just in case.

AtlantaJJ

They do :yep: I don't know the exact ph but they're said to be "specially designed to raise the cuticle".
I think my theory is correct. My hair type will love the BKT just because its porous by nature. :yep:

My great hairstylist in Los Angeles way back in the day used to tell me about my porous hair and she would use conditoners with polymers in them to fill in my cuticle and give my hair shine, body and bounce and to keep it healthy in general. The Polymers used to help protect my hair from heat because I was getting Press & Curls back then...

The thing about fine porous hair is that it does not on its own have the strong cuticle layer that more course / non-porous hair has.

I believe the BKT will have the same effect but it will be longer lasting than a special conditioner. It will give the hair cuticle the extra layer of insulation that it needs to be stronger. I am more interested in that than the straightening effect to be honest. This could prove very helpful with length retention.

Last edited:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I think my theory is correct. My hair type will love the BKT just because its porous by nature. :yep:

My great hairstylist in Los Angeles way back in the day used to tell me about my porous hair and she would use conditoners with polymers in them to fill in my cuticle and give my hair shine, body and bounce and to keep it healthy in general. The Polymers used to help protect my hair from heat because I was getting Press & Curls back then...

The thing about fine porous hair is that it does not on its own have the strong cuticle layer that more course / non-porous hair has.

I believe the BKT will have the same effect but it will be longer lasting than a special conditioner. It will give the hair cuticle the extra layer of insulation that it needs to be stronger. I am more interested in that than the straightening effect to be honest. This could prove very helpful with length retention.

I'd say you are right. My hair is quite porous too and I think that hair type will also allow you to use a bit less product since you hair "sucks it in", you know? Retention is definatel the name of the game for me. I think my hair grows pretty fast (my avatar is from 01.01.09 compared to the pics from today, not bad growth) but my ends split like crazy! If I can prevent some of that I could reach my goal of APL by 12.31.09

sheba1

For places that require you to call first to place an order, do they really as for your cosmetology license info? I want to try OK Original Keratin because they say on their site that they sell a 16oz bottle for $55. Thats a price that I can live with. Too bad they don't offer online ordering. If they do, is anyone who has a cosmetology license willing to help me purchase it?

They did at Global Keratin. My sister (cosmetologist) said that it probably depends on what state their in. In certain states, they can sell to you if you just say you're a cosmetologist online. But if you call, that may be considered entering their salon and you have to prove it before purchase. I did it, but now I think I may try the OK BKT next; well, not really next. After I finish this bottle of Global.

yodie

They did at Global Keratin. My sister (cosmetologist) said that it probably depends on what state their in. In certain states, they can sell to you if you just say you're a cosmetologist online. But if you call, that may be considered entering their salon and you have to prove it before purchase. I did it, but now I think I may try the OK BKT next; well, not really next. After I finish this bottle of Global.

You ladies amaze me with how much you know about your hair. I'll get there one day. I don't know if my hair is porous. I know it sucks everything up and my strand is uneven as it pertains to thickness.

Sheba1, why the Ok brand?

sheba1

You ladies amaze me with how much you know about your hair. I'll get there one day. I don't know if my hair is porous. I know it sucks everything up and my strand is uneven as it pertains to thickness.

Sheba1, why the Ok brand?

I like the price and the simplicity of their site. I like the way their site is geared toward the salon owner. I think a company that depends on salons is more likely to understand the need for customer satisfaction and repeat business.

I also really like the rejuvenol results that Naturaltobe got. I love the fact that it has keratin and collagen and the price is definitely right. $139 for 16 oz and free shipping. I'm leaning towards one of those. Talk about thinking ahead! I've got 3 treatments or more left. lol

sheba1

I have a question for you ladies. When they say 2 oz, 3 oz, etc. Do you think this is by volume or by weight? It's different! I checked. lol

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I have a question for you ladies. When they say 2 oz, 3 oz, etc. Do you think this is by volume or by weight? It's different! I checked. lol

The person I bought from sold it to me by volume. It was a 2.4 oz bottle filled to the top.

naturalmanenyc

It's by volume. My stylist measured out 3 ounces in a tall measuring cylinder and there was a little left in the container when she was done with my hair.

dany06

I called soft-liss to ask if the intelligent mask (step 3) could be used as a deep conditioner. Step 3 is not the treatment. They told me that many salons are using it as a deep conditioner. They apply it to the hair and flat iron it. It only last a few days unlike the treatment. The intelligent mask is just a protein treatment really. Its main purpose when used traditionally is to seal in the BKT treatment. They also mentioned that for best results use 450 degrees for both the intelligent brush and intelligent mask(if you use it in the same way as treatment). By using the temperature of 450 it just makes it straighter, last longer and easier to deal with. And by doing it at 450 degrees you wont have to do as many passes.

Last edited:

Finewine

Wow! Thanks for that link that is awesome! I still have no words for how much I love the BKT! :drunk: I think I'm going to forgeo relaxing for the next couple of years, maybe experiment with some color and keep using the BKT. :yep:

Vee, your hair looks great! I just snooped in your fotki and I'm bidding on some BKT now. 2 hours til I know if I win it

I'm tellin' ya'll Bey has a BKT too!! I can tell how her hair hangs!

Girl, I think you're right. I remember that pic last year of her hair in a ponytail and it was shining and very sleek. It explains how she gets her natural hair to look that way without overprocessing.

Dove56

I'm tellin' ya'll Bey has a BKT too!! I can tell how her hair hangs!

AtlantaJJ,

I am convinced she does too! I think Tamia has one too. She has very fine hair and bleach and she doesn't relax. I think most of Hollywood is on the BKT train..lol.

Finewine

AtlantaJJ,

I am convinced she does too! I think Tamia has one too. She has very fine hair and bleach and she doesn't relax. I think most of Hollywood is on the BKT train..lol.

:yep: I'm beginning to think that there are more celebrities using the treatment as well. The general public usually hears about procedures and beauty treatments years to decades after it's been the rave in hollywood, so I can definitely believe that many of them are/have been using it.

girlyprincess23

Do you know any of those shampoos or conditioners by name, as I also have porous hair?

sheba1

I know the directions say not to put any product on the hair over the keratin treatment but the next day I decided to but sabino throughout and flat iron over it to see if I could get my hair any smoother. Got it smooth as silk! I don't think the sabino will affect the treatment since it's just cones.

Before, only keratin flat ironed into the hair:
3 2nd bkt.JPG

With Sabino added and flat ironed on top:

4 keratin with sabino.JPG

5 keratin with sabino.JPG

6 keratin with sabino.JPG

luckiestdestiny

I know the directions say not to put any product on the hair over the keratin treatment but the next day I decided to but sabino throughout and flat iron over it to see if I could get my hair any smoother. Got it smooth as silk! I don't think the sabino will affect the treatment since it's just cones.

View attachment 32791

View attachment 32793

View attachment 32795

View attachment 32797

That looks great sheba:yep:

AtlantaJJ

View attachment 32791

View attachment 32793

View attachment 32795

View attachment 32797
Girl that is some kind of beautiful...I'm driving up, you busy this weekend? :lol: That is a brilliant job. You have convinced me to get the treatment no doubt about it.

ETA: If anything, the cones may help preserve the treatment, like they help reduce color treatments from fading.