Keeping Hair Healthy in Microbraids

luv4real

Hi all!! I'm a newbie here and this is my first thread...so please bare with me. Well, I am currently transitioning to natural, I'm about 2 1/2 months post relaxer and I'm getting microbraids tomorrow. This is not the first time I've had microbraids...I get them often. However, this is the first i've had them since i've gotten hip to this hair board, and others, and have been taking good care of my hair. I have been washing my hair with shampoo about once a week and co-washing maybe 2-3 times a week. I would still like to wash my hair often with micros but I don't want them to become frizzy and start looking bad. I know the key to maintaining hair in micros is keeping them moisturized. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly maintain hair while in micros? What's a good braid spray? Is it safe to do ACV rinses with them, and if so, how often? How can I keep my scalp clean and free from buildup without full-out washing the braids so often? I am also using MTG quite regularly...can I still do this with micros? Please help...I want the take down process to be as smooth as possible, with as much growth as possible, and the least hair lost as possible. All suggestions are welcome!!

TIA!!!:)

luv4real

thanks destiny616 and yes I have seen that site. I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions...anything anyone has done differently in caring for their hair while in micros.

fallback

Hey Lady and Welcome!!!

I have micros in now and they have been in for a month. I use Palmers Olive Oil on my braids and scalp. I also use MTG about twice a week. I can see some new growth. I don't know how much I didn't bother to measure. Make sure who ever braids your hair braids it pass your real hair. Try not to manipulate the braids a lot. I keep mine in a bun and take it down once a week for a nice massage with MTG. If you want to wash your braids try putting a stocking cap on and running water thru them like that. I hope this helps.:)

luv4real

Thanks fallback...that helps a lot! I never thought of the stocking cap idea...i will definately have to try that. :)

fallback

luv4real said:
Thanks fallback...that helps a lot! I never thought of the stocking cap idea...i will definately have to try that. :)

Let us know how you made out once you get them. Don't let them braid your hair too tight!!!:nono: Good Luck!!:)

nappi

whenever i have braids in i usually just spray them once a day w/ plain old tap water and olive oil

luv4real

nappi said:
whenever i have braids in i usually just spray them once a day w/ plain old tap water and olive oil

hmmm...just keep it simple, huh? easy enough i guess. well thanks for the input...i just get so tempted to buy special products for braids:D

Braided~Beauty

luv4real said:
hmmm...just keep it simple, huh? easy enough i guess. well thanks for the input...i just get so tempted to buy special products for braids:D

:lachen: I feel the same way exactly! I don't have micros - I try to keep them about pencil sized (easier to take down :lol: ). I have just been using the products Robin suggests on her site so far. Keep us updated on what you try!