Keeping A Sew In Weave For 2-months

Saga

The Generous Queen
Does anyone have any advice on this?

I want to do a short, rihanna cut style as a sew-in and I wont be able to take it out for about two months. Since I have only had a sew in once, I wanted to get some recommendations from long term sew-in wearers who can chime in with advice.

leona2025

Is 2 months a long time for a sew in? I thought ladies keep them in for months and have them tighten and stuff.

Kinky4Agirl

The only thing I can tell you is when I had weave, I never washed my hair while it was in. I know, I know... You read everywhere that people wash their hair/scalp... Well, the one time I tried it I ended up with tangled hair and loose braids underneath. The braids basically came out when they got wet. I had to take the weave out. So unless you know what you're doing, and your braids are tight.....please don't get your scalp wet. And even then, the water may loosen your braids.

mzpurp

2 months is a good time. I've never kept mine in after that amount of time but I do know some keep theirs in longer but with proper maintenance.

Thann

The only thing I can tell you is when I had weave, I never washed my hair while it was in. I know, I know... You read everywhere that people wash their hair/scalp... Well, the one time I tried it I ended up with tangled hair and loose braids underneath. The braids basically came out when they got wet. I had to take the weave out. So unless you know what you're doing, and your braids are tight.....please don't get your scalp wet. And even then, the water may loosen your braids.

Wow. That makes no sense you went through that. It sounds like your stylist just couldn't braid and you have a bad batch of hair.

You should have contacted your stylist. Under no circumstances should that have happened. Braids that are properly done and sewn down in a sturdy base don't just unravel because of washing. You shouldn't even be able to notice loosening because of washing for weeks. Do you have a silkier type of hair texture by chance?

Saga

The Generous Queen
Is 2 months a long time for a sew in? I thought ladies keep them in for months and have them tighten and stuff.
My hair tends to get matted very easily, so I was kind of afraid of what happens when it's time to take the style down. I know when you take down extension braids after two months there's always build up at the base of the braid, mostly around the nape area. So I'm trying to hopefully avoid this while in the sew-in.

I'm gonna try to consider all of these recommendations and adjust accordingly, thank you ladies!

Kinky4Agirl

Wow. That makes no sense you went through that. It sounds like your stylist just couldn't braid and you have a bad batch of hair.

You should have contacted your stylist. Under no circumstances should that have happened. Braids that are properly done and sewn down in a sturdy base don't just unravel because of washing. You shouldn't even be able to notice loosening because of washing for weeks. Do you have a silkier type of hair texture by chance?
I wish!... No, my hair is coarse 4-A.. I've never been able to wet my scalp when wearing weaves. My stylist(when I had one).. told me to wash it and the same thing happened. I guess I've never had a good weave. And the hair was always 100% human that lasts for years... I still have it here in my drawer. Don't know why but I've never had success with washing weave...

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I kept my weave for roughly 3 months at a time with biweekly salon visits. If it's a one time deal, you should be ok. But - definitely get good quality hair. Request that they baste your hair or consider using a net. Under no circumstances do not allow them to use synthetic hair mixed in while braiding your hair even if your hair is fine. Over time it can lock with your hair which means using scissors during the take down. :-(

bluediamond0829

I usually only last for 2 months. I'm really itching to take it out after a couple of weeks but I hang onto it until 2 months. The latest I've kept it in was 3 months . One of my dermatalogist associated my breakouts to the fact of me wearing a weave because of the reduction of people washing their hair and getting to their scalps.

Yes make sure to purchase quality hair. I usually only use the hair once because Brazillian hair is so inexpensive these days that I rather have fresh hair to use. Especially if you get a curly or wavy hair and straighten it sometimes its not the same after straightening and trying to get it to wave or curl back up.

Chanteuse

I don't think it's a good idea:
1- to get a sew in for super short style; and
2- to leave a short sew in for two months.

If you get a slightly longer cut - say Bob length - you will be able to camoflauge your new growth much easier. With a super short style, the weave will start shifting and looking wiggy when your real hair starts to grow out.

WhoIAm

I usually end up keeping mine in for over 2 months. I just lose track of time. I never get it re-tightened either because I'm lazy.

Use good quality hair, make sure your stylist uses a weave net cap and wash and condition the hair about once a week. You can use a spray bottle to get close to your scalp and then part your hair to rinse out.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I don't think it's a good idea:
1- to get a sew in for super short style; and
2- to leave a short sew in for two months.

If you get a slightly longer cut - say Bob length - you will be able to camoflauge your new growth much easier. With a super short style, the weave will start shifting and looking wiggy when your real hair starts to grow out.

It's ok, I'll be in bootcamp so everybody will be looking hit. I can't really wear a bob in my branch because it needs to be long enough to put in a bun, or short enough so that the bangs do not pass your eyebrows and the nape doesn't pass your collar. I don't want to move my hair out of my face when I do pushups or use a million bobby pins every morning.

I usually end up keeping mine in for over 2 months. I just lose track of time. I never get it re-tightened either because I'm lazy.

Use good quality hair, make sure your stylist uses a weave net cap and wash and condition the hair about once a week. You can use a spray bottle to get close to your scalp and then part your hair to rinse out.

I wont have the ability to get it tightened or re-done, so that's reassuring. I wanted to make sure that two months was a reasonable amount of time before it begins to be difficult to remove the braids. I plan to dilute the shampoo to keep the braids beneath clean.

faithVA

This is the same thing that happened to my hair. I think I only had the weave in for 6 weeks. My hair was braided in a beehive. But once the water hit it, my braids just poofed. My weave still looked good but the hair underneath was everywhere.

Didn't you say you tried to wash your twist and they tangled? We sound like we have similar hair.

Kinky4Agirl

This is the same thing that happened to my hair. I think I only had the weave in for 6 weeks. My hair was braided in a beehive. But once the water hit it, my braids just poofed. My weave still looked good but the hair underneath was everywhere.

Didn't you say you tried to wash your twist and they tangled? We sound like we have similar hair.
Yep... Water and weave do not mix in my house... When I get a weave, I leave it in for a month... No washing.. Then I take it down and really give my hair a good washing, deep condition, etc. Then I weave again if I want to. But I never ever wet my weave or my natural hair underneath. Believe it or not the no manipulation gives me lots of new growth....