KBSS Boycott Planning Thread

What should the name of this boycott be?

• UnOccupy the BSS

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Stop the BSS

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • I have another suggestion (please make it known in the thread!)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
So how bout it?

For Twitter the tweet to RT could be:

Stop patronizing businesses that are taking over your community. #OperationBuyItBlack

Now you know that ain't right. So now how are we supposed to be able to say it without giggling?

Was it a good one though? :look:

Lol, you wrong for that one. Reminds me of when I first got to Chicago. Walking down state street and man flashed his penis at me. I was so shocked I called my mother and told her what happen. And do you know what this fool asked me??? "How big was it?" Really mom, lol. I love it here.

Back on topic. I really like BuyItBlack (BIB). I like the idea that is can evolve and start in hair related businesses and move on to other areas.

tiffers I love this one:
"1) Buy It Black is determined to spread the word on unfair beauty trade practices and ensure equal access to all resources while promoting unity within our community."

I was thinking is there a way to make an icon (I'm sure that's not the right word) like those rabbit faces that are cruelty free products? You know, am image that bloggers, vloggers and black entrepreneurs can have on their site to show their support of the movement.

I like #BuyItBlack!
I like Buy it Black! And I'm all in cause I'm always on my soapbox about keeping our money in our communities when possible. It's a good thing I teach at a Black campus, else, my students would get tired of me! LOL.

Mo to the... I'm partial to the first one as well. :yep:

I've also been thinking about a banner and blinkie (blinkies are the little pictures used for affiliates) to use on the blog. I know people who are awesome at them, but I only know them through fanfiction. :look: Not sure how they would feel about making banners/blinkies for anything other than for the fandom.

Once we come up with a name, I'll be open to contacting some of them to make a banner/blinkie for the blog. :yep:

Last edited:
Guys, I have an idea that may help us get more organized: Creating a free forum.

The forum will relate what we're talking about here, of course. But since it'll be free, a lot of people who aren't members will be able to chime in. I would like to be able to communicate with people like bloggers, youtubers and other people we'll be contacting.

I think if we have seperate threads, like a thread for the twitter acct, a thread for the FB acct, a thread for people to contact, etc., we'll be able to better keep track of things.

We have lists all throughout this thread of what we need to accomplish, but none of the questions are getting answered.

Maybe if each subject had it's own area, we'd be able to accomplish more.

I have a few windows open, looking at various free forums right now. What do ya'll think?

Last edited:
Guys, I have an idea that may help us get more organized: Creating a free forum.

The forum will relate this what we're talking about here, of course. But since it'll be free, a lot of people who aren't members will be able to chime in.

I think if we have seperate threads, like a thread for the twitter acct, a thread for the FB acct, a thread for people to contact, etc., we'll be able to better keep track of things.

We have lists all throughout this thread of what we need to accomplish, but none of the questions are getting answered.

Maybe if each subject had it's own area, we'd be able to accomplish more.

I have a few windows open, looking at various free forums right now. What do ya'll think?

i love this idea. i was thinking about having multiple threads here but that is just too much and would be messy/clog lhcf.

:yep:

Yay! Glad you like the idea! I really think it'll help!

ETA: We haven't come up with a name, so I just named the forum OperationBuyItBlack.

I know we can't officially use BuyItBlack, but... I like how it sounds. :giggle:

Last edited:
But at the same time, is the total issue that we only want to shop at black BSS only, or is the issue at hand much deeper than that? I think it is the latter.

That is why I really like Stop the Bss, because what has happened over the past decades is a bunch of BS

Last edited:
I think stay away from negative theme. Instead of stop the BSS, have something positive - BBSM - (Black Beauty Stores Movement) - Giving back to our community.
Stay positive. List what you want to give back to the black, hispanic, etc community.
Jobs, afternoon community center, trade knowledge, black ownership, entrepreneur, donations, stimulating the economy by putting money back into our hands etc...

I agree, I like staying positive. :D

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to post the other forum link here. I don't want this thread to be blocked. Please PM me to get the link. :)

I say let's stick with StopTheBSS. Now don't stone me but StopTheBSS sounds less black powerish. Now I'm all for black power, however the community at large has been brainwashed into believing that black power movements are lame and disgruntle.

We have to consider the larger audience and how best to reach them.

Does it have to be .com? What about BuyItBlack.org?

The name should be a dot com. The first rule of successful blogs is to brand the name across all domain types. I think we need a name that is available as a .com , .org and .net

While we are focusing on Twitter and Facebook, let's not forget Tumblr and Google Plus.

Is anyone a graphic designer? We need a logo.

I say let's stick with StopTheBSS. Now don't stone me but StopTheBSS sounds less black powerish. Now I'm all for black power, however the community at large has been brainwashed into believing that black power movements are lame and disgruntle.

We have to consider the larger audience and how best to reach them.

See....i like StoptheBSS too....but think about it...if we are successful in this ONE area....what if we want to make change in OTHER areas of the Black community as well.

Asian BSS is just the beginning i think...and it just fits bc we spend tons of our money in them...(Not LHCF per se...but the general pop of Black people do:yep:)....but if...and i feel we eventually will be...successful with THIS movement...we need a name that we won't have to change...so ppl know that we are for fair treatment of ALL of our Black businesses and other community aspects:yep:

What if we got SO successful that we started raising funds to help remodel or rebuild unfortunate schools....things like that?

Its bigger than just hair:)

See....i like StoptheBSS too....but think about it...if we are successful in this ONE area....what if we want to make change in OTHER areas of the Black community as well.

Asian BSS is just the beginning i think...and it just fits bc we spend tons of our money in them...(Not LHCF per se...but the general pop of Black people do:yep:)....but if...and i feel we eventually will be...successful with THIS movement...we need a name that we won't have to change...so ppl know that we are for fair treatment of ALL of our Black businesses and other community aspects:yep:

What if we got SO successful that we started raising funds to help remodel or rebuild unfortunate schools....things like that?

I see, your looking for a name that transcends. I agree that if our goal is to move this beyond the BSS another name would be more fitting.

Admittedly, I have not read the entire thread, but I was wondering if the planned boycott will include embargos against online Korean BSSs (i.e., beautyofnewyork.com)?

Question: Should the forum be public (easily searchable) or private?

I think we should also hand out fliers too! If we could get a basic flier written up/designed, it would be nice to pass them out to women in shopping centers before they enter the BSS. We can also give them out at local beauty shops and wherever women come together to shop. College campuses are good too!

IMO, if this movement is successful, then we will start a new campaign with a new slogan and catch phrase. At the end of the day, our slogan or buzzword should be targeted and befitting of the current mission, which is to change the treatment of blacks in asian BSS if we still decide to do business with them after they have changed their practices and stop blocking other non asians from successfully entering the market (among other issues).

Maybe the organization can be one thing, but I think the catch phrase, should be very clear. Nothing is wrong with having multiple domains to support multiple issues. Blogger is free (the domain costs like 10 dollars a year).

I don't buy from the Korean Stores anyway, stopped when I started transitioning in 2009 to natural. It's the way they treat AA while in their stores,byes they do follow you around and they make no contributions to the AA community, i.e community reinvestment. I try and use my own homemade concoctions, and when I do buy over the counter, it's normally at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. It may also be a good idea to hold businesses like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's feet to the fire as well. Both of these stores recognize the purchasing power of AA women. Notice how large the selection of natural products, oils, butters their stores, in the last two years? Particularly Whole Foods..

Any business that earns money off the AA community needs to reinvest in our community as well OP's boycott will be effective in giving AA owned businesses the opportunity to compete. Great idea!!

smiling elephant,

You said, "What if we got SO successful that we started raising funds to help remodel or rebuild unfortunate schools....things like that? It's bigger than just hair."

The Black hair care industry generates billions, not millions, but billions of dollars. So much money, that we can demand community reinvestment off the hair care industry alone from non-black businesses as well as provide an opportunity for AA to open and hire AA in our neighborhoods. I think this is a good start, and I agree if we are successful at this movement, then we can concentrate on other issues. But for now, this idea if successful can serve as a model to tackle other issues in our community.

Back