January 2014 Hits & Misses

myronnie

Miss:
Soultanicals Knot Butta
Didn't work for me. Made my strands stick together something fierce. When I was taking down my twists this week, I had reaaally bad knots from the hair just sticking together. I had to cut out two knots :nono: It makes the hair soft when used with wet hair but causes the hair to stick together. I will be using it as a body moisturizer because it smells great.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
HIT: Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter. Light, fresh, non-lingering scent. Very smooth going on damp hair...packs a lot of moisture with just a little. Great as a refresher on dry hair as well.

HIT: Silk Dreams Mocha Bling Butter. Very soft and thick butter. Smells like mocha. Great for ends.

HIT: Silk Dreams Nourish oil. Nice, very light and lightly scented oils. Add good sheen.

Continued HITS:

Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. Soft and strong hair, popping curls, easy application, smells great.

Oyin Hair Dew: Yummy smell of cake frosting or something. Nice and creamy consistency. Packs in moisture.

My Honey Child Buttery Soy: Wonderful texture/consistency...very smooth and buttery. Seals ends very nicely...great for twist outs.

Keravada Fenugreek in Buttercream scent: Smells amazing, light oil, nice on scalp and in dcs.
No misses.

Solila

Hit: My homemade Shea butter, castor oil, peppermint oil mix is amazing!

Irish moss is heavenly.

Fenugreek conditions and de-tangles

Misses: My Fenugreek stinks like curry. I've never been so scared....

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
HUGE HIT: Texas Natural Supply's Whipped Shea Aloe Emulsion!

I use it as a moisturizing treatment after my hard protein treatment and it makes my hair so soft, moisturized and juicy! And because it has a pH of 4.9-5, it detangles my hair like a dream when rinsing! Love, love, love this stuff!

HUGE MISS: Texas Natural Supply's Whipped Shea Aloe Emulsion!

Yes, you read that correctly, :lol:!

What I object to is the application of this product. It's not creamy and because it clumps/curds in your hands, it is almost impossible to truly emulsify and distribute it through your hair. You have to patiently work it in over the sink and clean up a big mess of curds afterward.

It's a hassle.

And while I like the natural smell of shea butter, the smell of this product is like shea butter to the 19th power. It is super strong and kinda skunky...ewww, I know!

BUT, I do love what it does for my hair and how it makes it feel so I will keep it in rotation but thank goodness I only use it once a month!

coyacoy

HIT: Hairveda's Red Tea nourishing condish! Used as a rinse out yesterday and had planned on DC'ing aftwards but hair was so soft and easy to detangle I decided to skip the DC.....this rarely happens w/a rinse out...huge hit for me especially when I'm pressed for time or hair lazy

continued hits: HQ pineapple coconut lime oil and 5-day moisture and DB's cocoa whip

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
New Hit: STEAMING!!!!! After steaming weekly for the last month, I can say that my hair is more hydrated and juicy then ever! It has become a def part of my weekly wash day. So glad I took the plunge and tried something new.

Continued Hits: It's a 10 leave in + Carol's Daughter serum for my weekly rollersets = light and bouncy hair. I'll never be without this combo.

Miss: I don't experiment or stray that often from what I know works so none. My daughter was surprised that I tried steaming. lol

Ogoma

Continued Hit:

Crown braids when I don't even want to remember my hair exists. It stays moisturized and neat for days. All I need to do is remember to use my satin scarf at night to keep the frizzies away.

JRiley

Hit: My homemade Shea butter, castor oil, peppermint oil mix is amazing!

Irish moss is heavenly.

Fenugreek conditions and de-tangles

Misses: My Fenugreek stinks like curry. I've never been so scared....

Yeah, I used it out of the capsule and it still stinks like maple syrup of curry.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Hits:
* using GSO to aid in a light flat iron (300 degrees, 1 pass)
* flat ironing my hair for the first time in almost 2 years!
* having a surprisingly even/blunt hemline despite numerous S&D sessions

Miss:
* losing a softball-sized FIST OF HAIR in one day...! :nono:
* Carol's Daughter Chocolat Collection
I got the shampoo, conditioner, and blowdry cream ages ago to aid in the turnout of my Curlformer sets under my hooded dryer. I used it, kinda didn't like it, cut my hair, tried it some more, thought it worked ok on my shorter hair, and I've been trying to make up my mind about it ever since. I think the cream made my hair stick together and tangle like crazy. Idk if I will ever use it again. Terrible experience!

Last edited:

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Miss: Soultanicals Knot Butta Didn't work for me. Made my strands stick together something fierce. When I was taking down my twists this week, I had reaaally bad knots from the hair just sticking together. I had to cut out two knots :nono: It makes the hair soft when used with wet hair but causes the hair to stick together. I will be using it as a body moisturizer because it smells great.

I agree. I first used Knot Butta as a moisturizer, cause I didn't have instructions on my jar. Before use my hair was soft/ moisturized. I decided to put twists in about an hr after using Knot butta & knot dressing (oil). Hair was dry, rough. I checked site & a poster said its a sealant. So today I spritzed with water and applied knot butta. Waited an hour. Again my hair was dry. So i'll use it on my feet or something. I would sell but I wouldn't sell this stuff to my worst e-enemy.

I'll review it on the Soultanicals site. Cause the reviews on there are 5 star.

myronnie

Thanks Golden75, it's nice to see that someone else had a similar experience! I used it as a sealant and moisturizer also. I will review it also on the website. I wonder what went wrong with the product.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Continued HIT: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shampoo...very nice, lathers, smells great, cleans and leaves hair feeling soft, not stripping.

Healthb4Length

Hits

1. AO WC conditioner---my hair soaked.everything up! Used under dryer mixed with AO Blue Green Algae.

2. AO Blue Green Algae---made my hair strong and soft and I noticed less shed hairs/breakage! Huge difference! Why did I stop using these products?

3. Creme of Nature Argan Shine leave in--aides in detangling and makes my hair shiny/soft.

4. Brown Butter Beauty Sweet Milk Detangling Cream--nice slip and aided with getting rid of knots.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Andis blow dryer. Little cheap dryer Reniece recommended that has my hair swinging and for ONCE I didn't break the comb.

curlyTisME

Hits: Annabelle's Perfect Blends white chocolate mousse mask
AO GPB

Miss: any VO5 conditioner ( they all suck imo, too runny as not moisturizing at all )

IronButterfly

MAJOR HIT
Pomade Shop's LinoMoist Conditioning Pomade!!!:drool: Surpasses any pomade (in terms of moisture) I've ever tried. The search is over. HG status.:notworthy:notworthy

MISS
Slow :moon:shipping.

IronButterfly

@IronButterfly
How are you using the pomade? To seal, slick edges, etc?

KinkyGenius
I spritz my hair lightly than applied the pomade (about a dime size or less) to four sections and gently brushed hair into a bun. My bun is moist and smooth and non greasy. I guess that would be sealing. I don't do slick edges. HTH

Healthb4Length

Hit: African threading to stretch hair. My hair is soft, looks like I got a blowout and I experienced less breakage. My hair is so soft and feels smooth like a blowout. I've never had smooth strands after air drying.

Beamodel

Continued HIT
HH Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa
HH Pink Grapefruit DC
Oyin Hair Dew :)

Last edited:

Ogoma

Continued Hits:
- Bask Whiskey Soak
- Bask DC containers - nice wide openings to scrap away every last drop
- DB Cocoa Bean Whip

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Andis blow dryer. Little cheap dryer Reniece recommended that has my hair swinging and for ONCE I didn't break the comb.
havilland, I just blogged about wanting an Andis handheld (hatchet) dryer. I picked one up today. I'd love to know which you're using as well.

MAJOR HIT
Pomade Shop's LinoMoist Conditioning Pomade!!!:drool: Surpasses any pomade (in terms of moisture) I've ever tried. The search is over. HG status.:notworthy:notworthy

MISS
Slow :moon:shipping.

IronButterfly, I get better results when spritzing first as well. I spritz with water/Oyin J&B mix. And you? The absolute best results are when I baggy with LinoMoist.

IronButterfly

I get better results when spritzing first as well. I spritz with water/Oyin J&B mix. And you? The absolute best results are when I baggy with LinoMoist.[/QUOTE said:
@divachyk
I make a my own spritz using a base of avj and distilled water. From there I build on using various teas, herbs and oils. I spritz at least 2x a day. My hair is loving it!:lick:

The next time my hair is feeling extra parched I'm gonna try baggying with LinoMoist. I bet that feels like heaven.