I've got the dry hair blues

Neen

I don't know what to do ladies and I need your help. My hair is dry and I have deep conditioned with the best of them. Here's the list:
Kenra (the intense one)
Nexxus Humectress
PM Supercharged
Elasta DPR
That Dudley stuff
That Mizani stuff
Neutragena Triple Moisture
KeraCare Humecto
Aveda Deep Penetrating Conditioner

Now, I did sleep on the wrong pillow case for 2 days so I know that was a factor in the dryness, no doubt. But I just want a better conditioner. Something INTENSE. I have 4a/b relaxed hair. Very fine. I get mild relaxers. Right now I use the NTM cream leave-in b/c the sprays (motions) and Paul Mitchell's leave-in wasn't enough. So, hook me up ladies :).

Boadicea

Some that have helped me:

Deep conditioners: Fresh Meadowfoam, Freash Illipe Butter, (www.fresh.com) Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil Treatment, Salerm Wheat Germ

Conditioners: Kenra MC, REDKEN All Soft, Herbal Essences Peplenishing, Herbal Essences Hydrating, Pantene Daily Moisture Renweal, Suave BioBasics, Suave Humectant

Shampoo: Phyto Vital Radiance, Phytojoba, Kenra MS

Leave-in: Fresh Hair Cream, Salerm Super Activo

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Wow Neen that is quite the list you've got. :) I've suffered from the same problem. Do you oil your scalp or use a moisturizer for your hair? Also using a satin bonnet/satin pillow case helps out a lot too. I found out that the reason my hair was sooo drying was becuase the products I was using were toooo high in detergent and there was a lot of build up. :(

Here's what I use as a moisturizer:

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/doogrotrstgr.html

This is a really great leave-in that worked wonders for my hair.

sylver2

I use to have dry hair all the time.
Did you try the NTM Daily Deep Conditioner?
What works for me is overnight conditioning. I do this twice a month.
I put on conditioner then a foil cap and bonnet cap and go to bed. I wake up the next morning and rinse out. I then apply Rusk sensories smoother leave in. I use jojoba oil and NTM serum at the end. I don't even remember the last time my hair was dry.
Some other good ones, John Frida frizz ease serum and NTM silk touch on dry hair.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Neen said:
I don't know what to do ladies and I need your help. My hair is dry and I have deep conditioned with the best of them. Here's the list:
Kenra (the intense one)
Nexxus Humectress
PM Supercharged
Elasta DPR
That Dudley stuff
That Mizani stuff
Neutragena Triple Moisture
KeraCare Humecto
Aveda Deep Penetrating Conditioner

Now, I did sleep on the wrong pillow case for 2 days so I know that was a factor in the dryness, no doubt. But I just want a better conditioner. Something INTENSE. I have 4a/b relaxed hair. Very fine. I get mild relaxers. Right now I use the NTM cream leave-in b/c the sprays (motions) and Paul Mitchell's leave-in wasn't enough. So, hook me up ladies :).

What's helped me maintain moisture has been the combo of:
Prepoos(evoo, V05) w/ heat 30 mins or no heat wrapped with a towel for an hour or so.
Also, deep conditioners with evoo added, tightly wrapped overnight has been a big boost to my hair. :yep: Rinse and style in the morning.

You can also try an overnight moisturizing system by using a moisturizer of choice add a moisturizing oil like evoo, monoi etc. Not too heavy, yet not to light either, add a plastic cap and then wrap tightly.

For a tight wrap I use: a plastic cap, scarf, stocking cap and finally a bonnet.

Just my two cents...

hth-

~op~

Lorraine

I like to try hot oil treatments. Even the cheapest brands (Queen Helene I think) seem to work. I would also try leaving it in overnight and wearing a cap to lock in the moisture. That always works for me.

Rezgirl

I HEAR you! I HAD the dry hair blues but I'm now officially quenched! My hair would be all good...until the morning after a wash - my dryness seemed to settle in more from a lack of daily mositurizing rather than all the deep conditioning. I am LOVING "Healthier Hair In a Bottle" products from Carolyn Gray. You can purchase them from her website. The products are made with ALL NATURAL oils-jojoba, coconut,apricot,etc etc. The line includes a moisturizing detangler, oil spray(comparable to WGO minus the wicked smell),ends treatment, hot oil. New to the line is Body Butter - OFF THE HOOK!!!!!

Healthb4Length

I try a little bit of all the techniques to combat dryness. I wonder if after you do your deep treatments if you follow up with a light moisturizing treatment that you rinse out...I use Suave humectant conditioner (coconut). I also do modified baggie method, I sleep with moisturizer on my ends with my plastic cap on, the next morning my hair is ultra moisturized. I also but butters like avocado, shea and mango butters on the last 3 inches of my hair...I hope these tips can help;)

* I also think that a humidifier is a great investment especially if you live in a cold climate.

**you may have to alternate between protein treatments and moisturizing treatments.

LABETT

I like Elucence MB Shampoo and Condtioner best products I have ever used that gives the best moisture for hair.

Neen

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have a satin pillow case but for two days I fell asleep on a regular one which = dry hair. I've used different oils in the past but mainly to seal in moisture when it's wet and add shine when styling. Other than that, it doesn't do much for me unless it's in a conditioner already. It'll be moist for a while but a day later...dry! I have a short cut so I would need to find an intense con. and leave-in to last me for at least three or four days until my next wash. Between washings I could only wrap and groom my hair with an oil or cream since it's so short.

Isis

msportugal said:
are you on meds that can effect your hair
what about your water intake
I agree with Msportugal, drinking lots of water is very important to keep your hair moisturized from the inside out.

HairQueen

Hi Neen :wave:

I am 4a/4b also and my hair used to be dry dry dry.

How often do you wash? Since I started to wash my hair twice per week I have noticed a BIG difference in moisture levels. I con wash on wednesdays and pree-poo and cond on sundays - both are deep conds under the dryer with cap for 15-20 mins. My hair is now never dry.

Also you say you fell asleep on the wrong pillow but are u wrapping ur head at all with a silk or satin scarf? I sleep on cotton pillows but I NEVER go to bed without wrapping my hair in a silk scarf.

Also moisturise 2x daily (morning before you leave the house and night before you go to bed) and try the baggie method.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Keen

Neen, try some EVOO. I had the same problem until recently. Here is what I do. I put some EVOO oil on my hair (from scalp to ends) the night before I wash (I usually wash in the morning now). I sleep with a plastic cap on so my pillow won't get drenched. In the morning cowash with a light protein conditoner for 3 minutes, currently LeKair, but no shampoo. I rinse that out then repeat the cowash. when you rinse out the second time. Do not rinse thouroughly, leave some slip on your hair. Then proceed with your leave in. If after you towel blot your hair there is no more slip add a quarter size conditioner to your hair. I don't always use a light protein conditioner, I use NTM conditioning moisturizer if I didn't leave the EVOO overnight.

I have always wanted my hair to be silky and soft weeks after I relax as the day that I relaxed. This has been my answer. I never tried EVOO despite all the raves. It took me a year after joining LCHF to figure this out. Hope this help you. And just keep on experimenting with member's suggestions, you will stumble on what is good for your hair.:yep:

Neen

I've tried the EVOO before but it doesn't do anything for my hair. Just sits on top until I rinse and then it's gone. I don't know why but my hair doesn't get much benefit from plain oils. I have been lazy about the scarf, I admit (I'm a bad girl :spank: ) but I always sleep on a satin pillow case (except for those two days :lol: ) . It's been pretty cold around here so I know the climate is probably the biggest factor AND my hair is in serious need of a touch-up AND I don't drink enough water. Damn, I'm just all messed up :lol: .

I need to stop spending so much time on the entertainment board and hang out over here more often.

Last edited:

WesternEyes

Adding Extra Virgin OO to my deep conditoner and sitting under the dryer for 30 min really helped my dry hair. It's much more elastic now.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Boadicea said:
Some that have helped me:

Deep conditioners: Fresh Meadowfoam, Freash Illipe Butter, (www.fresh.com) Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil Treatment, Salerm Wheat Germ

Conditioners: Kenra MC, REDKEN All Soft, Herbal Essences Peplenishing, Herbal Essences Hydrating, Pantene Daily Moisture Renweal, Suave BioBasics, Suave Humectant
How can you tell the difference between a deep conditioner and a conditioner? I thought conditioners could be used as deep conditioners...:confused: