Is Your Hair Dry/Breaking.....

hairgirl

Maybe you should try a lite grease. I didn't want to say this on this board because I know it's satan in the jar for some of you....LoL. But I'm speaking from experience. I went years w/out grease and my hair stayed dry, although I received complements all the time. But ladies since I started using grease my hair is not dry or breaking anymore.

For my hair mineral oil is too heavy so I had to search for a petroleum based one. I use Dax Super Gro Organic (in the white jar), but not on my scalp or to grow my hair. I find that it works best when my hair is damp or right after I wash it. I put my leave in (just started using phyto organics luxtress spray and seal w/the dax on damp hair on my ends and lightly on my new growth). I air dry in a pony or do a bowl wrap and my hair comes out soft w/minimal breakage.

If I wear my hair down I just try to use a lite serum by ojon. It's also made for dry hair, but u may want to look for something not as costly. That was $24 a pop for me, but adding grease as my sealer has been a huge turning point and it detangles my hair too................Don't sleep on it!!

Last edited:

hairgirl

ITA agree, grease gets a bad rap, but I love it for locking moisture in, lubricating and protecting dry brittle ends.

Ditto to that..............On the jar I use the directions say to apply to washed, damp hair. This how I use it..............with soft amazing results. I haven't noticed any build up and I don't have greasy hair neither. :drunk:

mrsmeredith

Ladies I could not agree more. People need to do whats best for their hair and not jump on the "bad bad ingredient" band wagon. If it works it works. Its great on the ends, my pony tails never looked flyer.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ladies I could not agree more. People need to do whats best for their hair and not jump on the "bad bad ingredient" band wagon. If it works it works. Its great on the ends, my pony tails never looked flyer.

ITA! I learned the hard way that everyone's hair is different and some old tried and true (like grease) ain't never hurt me! Actually my hair was better when I used grease...:ohwell:

hairgirl

My old beautician swore by the stuff and my hair thrived..........The trick she told me was to use it sparingly or tailor it to your hair needs on DAMP hair. Once your hair dries u can use a tiny dime size amount on an as needed basis on your ENDS and new growth. It will definetly help u stretch your relaxer.

KweenZ

Yes! Once i jumped off the bandwagon and started using grease i noticed a huge decrease in the shedding & breakage i got when i was only using light oils, now i will never forsake it again!! lol. Only on the strands, though. My scalp hates it

LovelyLionessa

I love All Ways and Softee greases the best. They have a nice blend of oils in them. It's funny, I was reading an article in W magazine, it said mineral oil, petroleum and lanolin were excellent at locking moisture in (this was about face creams.) I feel there is nothing quite like grease for ends. :grin:

hairgirl

My best friend just started using it and she said her hair was softer, stronger and thicker. She said air dryer results were better too. Ladies who have the dry thing going just try it.............You may have better results since you've been taking care of your hair more. I still use my leave in as a moisturizer and seal w/the grease.:rolleyes:

neonbright

I can't say I use grease, because Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil in the jar is not a grease. No Mineral Oil, or Petroleum, it is basically the oil in the solid form. I use a little on my hair itself and some on my scalp, a light coat but parts of my hair needs it and love it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I agree. I've been using grease off and on. Currently, I haven't been using it at all. I need to get back into the habit of using it. I just need to find a way to be consistent with my hair in order to do so. But now, I'm thinking about locing my natural hair.

Iluvsmuhgrass

OT: Poohbear check you out!!!! You've come a mighty long way! (I remember when you BC'ed) Girl your fro is fierce!!!!

k i'm done drooling. my bad. :p

Energee

I don't think anything is wrong with grease. I think you have to use it sparingly if you don't want to weigh your hair down. That's it.

Just remember that our grandmothers, great grandmas and aunts...etc..used to use tons of grease and they all used to have beautiful, thick, healthy, thriving hair (I know the women in my family did..even some of the men..lol). When I look at their old pictures I am in awe. Some had relaxers, some didn't--and just pressed their hair but they all had beautiful and healthy looking hair. I think the grease really protected their hair.

Crown

I can't say I use grease, because Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil in the jar is not a grease. No Mineral Oil, or Petroleum, it is basically the oil in the solid form. I use a little on my hair itself and some on my scalp, a light coat but parts of my hair needs it and love it.

Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil in the jar IS grease: it contains Paraffin oil (same as Mineral oil or Petrolatum).
For me, oil in solid form is grease (old fashion grease, crisco, butter, pomade...). It's used for sealing/lubricating/protecting.
My hair likes a little grease allways mixed with amla oil.

yodie

would oil give the same outcome or does it have to be a solid concoction?

I'm for whatever works. trying to use up product that I already have.

I have carols daughter aunt kizzy pomade. didn't do much for me, but I never threw it away. its solid and has all healthy oils.

hairgirl

would oil give the same outcome or does it have to be a solid concoction?

I'm for whatever works. trying to use up product that I already have.

I have carols daughter aunt kizzy pomade. didn't do much for me, but I never threw it away. its solid and has all healthy oils.

Hi,

My experience is that oil didn't last as long and my hair would suck it up. When I went back to using the grease my hair became stronger w/less breakage. You have to find what works for u. What works for one person may be another person's nightmare. If your hair thrives w/grease (I prefer to use "lite grease" only) so be it. I know when I was 12 my hair was down my back and all my mom used was dax or vaseline.

yodie

thanks.

my hair gets very dry. i've been wearing twist outs because its easy and very low manipulation. my ends get dry this way. they were probably dry when I wore my hair straight.

I always used grease. kept my hair from breaking. just applied it wrong - to the scalp.

I just started putting castor oil (the heaviest oil out there) on my ends every other night. my hair feels so soft with it.

all that to say is maybe I need to try some grease again.

HoneyDew

I can't use grease alone for moisture. Just does not work - for the long haul, at least.

My leave-in and moisturizers are needed if I am to maintain moisture. I can use grease to "seal", as they say, but I could never get away with it alone.

Besides I prefer my hair sans greasiness. When I get greasiness, I am ready to shampoo and start all over.

Again, goes on to prove, yet again, what works for some does not work for others.

LovelyLionessa

Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil in the jar IS grease: it contains Paraffin oil (same as Mineral oil or Petrolatum).
For me, oil in solid form is grease (old fashion grease, crisco, butter, pomade...). It's used for sealing/lubricating/protecting.
My hair likes a little grease allways mixed with amla oil.

I :love: Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Treament.

Ronda123

Maybe you should try a lite grease. I didn't want to say this on this board because I know it's satan in the jar for some of you....LoL. But I'm speaking from experience. I went years w/out grease and my hair stayed dry, although I received complements all the time. But ladies since I started using grease my hair is not dry or breaking anymore.

For my hair mineral oil is too heavy so I had to search for a petroleum based one. I use Dax Super Gro Organic (in the white jar), but not on my scalp or to grow my hair. I find that it works best when my hair is damp or right after I wash it. I put my leave in (just started using phyto organics luxtress spray and seal w/the dax on damp hair on my ends and lightly on my new growth). I air dry in a pony or do a bowl wrap and my hair comes out soft w/minimal breakage.

If I wear my hair down I just try to use a lite serum by ojon. It's also made for dry hair, but u may want to look for something not as costly. That was $24 a pop for me, but adding grease as my sealer has been a huge turning point and it detangles my hair too................Don't sleep on it!!

Thanks. I'm going to try Dax Super Gro Organic after my next wash. My hair has been dry and frizzy lately due to the hot weather.

londonjakki

For my hair mineral oil is too heavy so I had to search for a petroleum based one. I use Dax Super Gro Organic (in the white jar), but not on my scalp or to grow my hair. I find that it works best when my hair is damp or right after I wash it. I put my leave in (just started using phyto organics luxtress spray and seal w/the dax on damp hair on my ends and lightly on my new growth). I air dry in a pony or do a bowl wrap and my hair comes out soft w/minimal breakage.​

If I wear my hair down I just try to use a lite serum by ojon. It's also made for dry hair, but u may want to look for something not as costly. That was $24 a pop for me, but adding grease as my sealer has been a huge turning point and it detangles my hair too................Don't sleep on it!!​

You may be on to something...I don't know if vaseline is considered grease...but my gf was telling me the other day she met a girl and her hair was GORGEOUS and hip length...anyway she asked her what she uses on her hair and she said vaseline and water....she makes a paste in her hands and adds it to either damp or dry hair.....she said she would cover her whole head but mainly concentrating on sealing the ends......of course I purchased some vaseline yesturday..LOL:grin:

LadyZ

I do like some grease every now and then, it works better when I use it on dry hair... When I use moisturizer on my styled hair, it seems to frizz it up and my style is gone also...

Twisties

yes, grease has worked for me too. i use blu majic or even vaseline as someone else mentioned. after rinsing my conditioner, while my hair is damp i put it on my hair, especially the ends. my hair stays soft. the following days i can use a regular moisturizer like ORS Olive Oil or just wet it again to soften it.

before returning to grease, i was trying lots of different things without petroleum and my hair stayed dry and popping....