Is Wax Just The Thing for Fine Hair?

MSCHICHI

I was looking for something creamier but still water-free as a hairdress for my thermally-straight hair, so I picked up some LIV from Sally's.

I didn't notice until I got home that it had wax in it, and it was high up on the list. I have avoided wax like the plague the entire time I have been natural (5 1/2 years). I heard it left a bad coating on the hair. However, I wasn't about to waste $7 bucks without trying it first.

I dabbed some on and brushed it through with my trusty Denman brush. It wasn't super-light and bouncy like it is fresh from the Dominican shop, but that look only lasts for about 5 minutes before it starts poofing at least a little anyway.

But, it wasn't really stringy either, which will happen to my babyfine strands when I simply put oil on them. My hair looks smoother, shinier and stronger. You can barely tell I have split ends now. I think this coating may also prevent damage, and along with the anti-reversion properties, is probably why wax products are popular amongst beauticians who do a standard press. I just won't use as much product.

My hair felt heavier, but in a good way. It coated and thickened up my strands nicely. Not only that, but my hair has not reverted since I put in the LIV. It still had some body, it just wasn't as light and airy. It also wrapped much easier, for these reasons.

My observations were confirmed when a lady at work stopped me to tell me how nice it looked, and double-checked to see if I was still relaxer-free. It is true that my hair is still pin straight right now and I got my hair done last 6 days ago.

I always thought that wax was one of the worst non-chemical substances I could put in my hair, but I think it actually might end up being one of the best for fine hair. I thought I only needed to weight my hair down with product when it was wet, but now I think I need a coating of a hairdress with wax even when it is dry. I am also going to try the home made substitute for Miss Jessie's Hair Pudding the next time I do a natural style and see how a wax product works on my curls. Similar to mineral oil products though, I wouldn't put wax on my scalp. I also intend to clarify thoroughly, and make sure I use ACV.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
All I know is that Nay, with her natural, very long 4a hair, has used Liv for years now. It could be the only hair dressing she uses and her hair is gorgeous. Wax looks like it can be very good, especially for naturals. I bought some but haven't used it yet.

Isis said:
All I know is that Nay, with her natural, very long 4a hair, has used Liv for years now. It could be the only hair dressing she uses and her hair is gorgeous. Wax looks like it can be very good, especially for naturals. I bought some but haven't used it yet.

I need to check out her album again...I think she sometimes presses

Back