Is this true?

Harina

"Micro braids (also known as invisible braids) and cornrows are two ways to grow and manage your hair. Microbraids are more effective and beautiful. Unlike cornrows, you can wear microbraids for three months without any risk to hair."

Is this true? I found this on this website. I knew that microbraids wre a good way to keep your hair hassle-free but i didn't think they were the best idea for trying to grow out your hair.

http://www.pictures-of-braids.com/pictures/tips-for-beautiful-micro-braids.html

this lady also said: "Protein treatment should follow a good conditioner that rebuilds hair follicle restoring elasticity."

I might be crazy, but i thought it was the other way around.

Trini"T"

aloha_bef said:
"Micro braids (also known as invisible braids) and cornrows are two ways to grow and manage your hair. Microbraids are more effective and beautiful. Unlike cornrows, you can wear microbraids for three months without any risk to hair."

Is this true? I found this on this website. I knew that microbraids wre a good way to keep your hair hassle-free but i didn't think they were the best idea for trying to grow out your hair.

http://www.pictures-of-braids.com/pictures/tips-for-beautiful-micro-braids.html

this lady also said: "Protein treatment should follow a good conditioner that rebuilds hair follicle restoring elasticity."

I might be crazy, but i thought it was the other way around.
In my opinion micros are not a good way to grow your hair out especially if your real hair is longer than 6 inches. If it is, some of of the real hair will be left out leaving it unprotected. Also some braiders like knot the end of the braids of the micros and I've heard too many strories of the braider knotting the real hair with it:eek:

I feel you on that protein and moisture being the other way around too. I always thought it was supposed to be the protein treatment and then the moisture because the drying effects of the protein.

Ms_Twana

I've heard that braids are a good way to grow your hair. I believe one of the reasons for this is the little amount of manipulation being done to the hair. I was also just told by a stylist that twist extensions are better for your hair than braid extension because the braid puts more tension on the hair. That was my first time hearing that. Someone please correct that if I'm wrong because I made an appointment with her right then. :lol:

Ebonygurl00

Micro braids would be murder on my hair. I had small braids, and I will NEVER do that again. I normally do a protein treatment, then DC directly afterwards. HTH!

Harina

what exactly are the twist extensions, are those like kinky twists? i have been really debating on getting kinkies but i don't think it would look good on me for some reason. i really want to get micros though but i've never been good at taking care of them. ugh, hair is so frustrating.

DreamLife

I had microbraids in August of 2005 thro October. My hair grew two inches but they braided every SINGLE hair around my temple and some of my sides came out. When I was taking it out, it was so fragile around the edges that one entire braid came out with my hair! My friend had kinky twists and kept them in around 3 months. It grew her hair but thinned it out. Another friend kept them in for 2 months and her hair was fine. I think that three months for my texture (I think 4b, im new) was too long.

Harina

evagray, what did you do to the hair while it was in the braids. like keeping your hair oiled and keeping the braids looking good.

plove

I have micro braids in my hair.
This is month #5 so I have already proven to myself that you can keep micro braids in longer then 3 months.
I do my own micro braids and I know some of the do's and don't to micro braids.
I will share what I know

Some of the dos and don't

1) Don't add more hair then your own hair this will wight down the braid and cause your hair to brake from the new growth.

EX: if you have 10 strands of hair for a braids don't add 20 strands of fake hair to braid with. Add 8 strand so your hair can hold the extra wight.

2) You have to be very careful about putting micro braid in any styles
that pulls on the braids because you can lose your hairline.

EX: Tight ponytails
Flat twist
Tight updos
These kind of styles pull at the hairline and cause your hair to completely come out from the root.

3) You have to be careful about what products you put on your NG with any kind of braids because they cause the build up to become worst.

EX: any product that attracts lint like grease and oil.

4) When you have a lot of NG keep the braids from locking on to each other.

EX: I have 5 months worth of NG at the crown, I make sure that I play with all of the every week to keep them from locking on to each other.

5) Do try to at lease redo the end of the braid if you have human hair.

EX: my braids are a inch longer then my real hair. I don't redo the crown of my hair so I do redo the end of the braids when my hair is sticking out of it.
(most of the time it's after i wash my hair, so that's like once a month.

I hope this helps.
When I remember more I will post them.

As for me I will be LHCF gene pig for how long you can keep micro braids in your hair.

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

plove said:
I have micro braids in my hair.
This is month #5 so I have already proven to myself that you can keep micro braids in longer then 3 months.
I do my own micro braids and I know the do's and don't to micro braids.
I will share what I know

Some of the don'ts

Don't add more hair then your own hair this will wight down the braid

Yeah, I was going to say that the condition of you hair afterwards has A LOT to do with what was done to your hair before, during, and after taking the extensions out.

Aloha, here is a link that shows you how to do Senegalese or One Strand Twists. This is what I was referring to above. I think they're better for the hair because its just twisting one strand. I didn't know that before. http://learncornrows.com/senegalese-twist.html

And here's a link to some pictures. You'll have to scroll down. http://www.khamitkinks.com/Twists_Locs.html

Harina

one more question, about microbraids are the braids traditionally supposed to be braided all the way down or are they suppose to stop a couple of inches past your real hair.

Ms_Twana

I guess it depends on how you want it. Just think about what BlackBarbie said earlier.

iiBlackBarbieii said:
In my opinion micros are not a good way to grow your hair out especially if your real hair is longer than 6 inches. If it is, some of of the real hair will be left out leaving it unprotected.