is this common?

tatambabyy

whenever I get any type of braids, my scalp starts itching like a mad woman:wallbash: I know my scalp is clean but it just ALWAYS happens. Even if I wash my hair, it will still itch like crazy. The happens the first few days, never fails.

The hair is human. and I use different hair each time and no matter what it always itches like crazyyyy! but it only lasts the first few days. its just really unbearable this time. I guess its because I haven't got braids since last summer. btw, thanks wheezy!

Are they tight? even if its not too tight maybe the constant ''pulling'' has an effect on your scalp? does it look irritated?

i heard of women around here simply applying braid spray to sooth a scalp, maybe you can do a search about that. hope you get a response

yes, they are tight. they always are tight. i never thought this would cause itchies. but it has loosened up. thanks.

Maybe the braids are pulled too tight and the scalp is irritated, so that may make you want to itch. It's common. Try not to scratch it.

Yes this happens to me everytime. Always has. It starts about a week after getting them in.

To alleviate it, I use Better Braids medicated leave-in spray on day one and continue for about 5-10 days. I never get the itching. It subsides and I never have to deal with it or use the Better Braids, unless I want to (prefered other sprays for my moisture).

yes, they are tight. they always are tight. i never thought this would cause itchies. but it has loosened up. thanks.

I never got my braids tight, and still got itching. I think tightness makes it worse, but I always get itching regardless. I have read threads over the years showing that you are not alone with this though.

I just wanted to tell you to be mindful of the tightness. Pay attention to your hairline. If the tight feeling persists for too long, you may want to think about taking your braids out. Don't mess up your real hair for the sake of the braids.

I usually soak my braids in vinegar and water for 1/2 hour then wash off. They use a porduct (no sure of name) on it and sometimes it irritates my scalp. After I do this Im smooth sailing.

Yes this happens to me everytime. Always has. It starts about a week after getting them in.

To alleviate it, I use Better Braids medicated leave-in spray on day one and continue for about 5-10 days. I never get the itching. It subsides and I never have to deal with it or use the Better Braids, unless I want to (prefered other sprays for my moisture).

My daughter had this problem to. That's why I stopped braiding her hair.

ETA: I'm not using extensions on my daughters hair.

Last edited:
I soak ALL hair, synthetic or 'human' before installs. You would be surprized at the Dye that comes off of 'human' hair. That may give you the irritation.

I usually soak my braids in vinegar and water for 1/2 hour then wash off. They use a porduct (no sure of name) on it and sometimes it irritates my scalp. After I do this Im smooth sailing.

This is exactly what I was gona say....
Do this and you'll be fine hun

I never got my braids tight, and still got itching. I think tightness makes it worse, but I always get itching regardless. I have read threads over the years showing that you are not alone with this though.

HoneyDew, was that with human hair too? I get itches w/ synthetic hair. Never with human or just my own. My mom on the other hand would itch when she had cornrows even though we had the same stylist so I know they were not tight. Not sure why. We both used to get cornrows without added hair. I don't think she has that problem anymore but hasn't change anything. Go figure.

Oh...one other thought: do you put stuff on your scalp when you're in braids? Coz I know products make me itch. So if that's something you only do when braided...or you're using sth you don't normally use, maybe that could be the culprit(?).

I just shampooed my hair with organix tea tree mint shampoo. it feels much better. I didn't condition afterwards which I know is a no-no. but I'd rather just have a squeaky clean scalp. I applied some witch hazel to my scalp but so far so good. this is my second time washing and tomorrow will make a week. I was trying to avoid washing more than once a week but I just had to. The washing did loosen my scalp up. Once my hair gets longer, I wont let them braid tight. But I had no choice because I have a TWA. I've only lost one braid to my suprise. I thought these suckas woulda been coming out left and right(knock on wood)
My regimen was to co wash once a week and poo when necessary.
Moisturize with S curl everday.
Seal with my oil.
however, I'm just gonna keep it simple.
I'm gonna moisturize when I feel I need it and wash when I feel I need to do so.
Before I knew about all the hair stuff I kept my braids in for a month or longer without washing it and I got great growth and my hair wasnt harmed.
The only thing I will be doing daily is applying some type of oil to my scalp to prevent dryness.
thanks ladies for all your help!

Back