is protein really necessary?

whitedaisez

I was reading a thread about how eating lots of eggs is great for the hair because of its rich amounts of the protein L-CYSTINE.
Well, I saw an article about a research regarding the amount of Cystine/ other proteins in hair and how the distribution in African hair is NOT different from the amount in other racial groups.

"A feature of black African hair is an apparent increased fragility of the hair shaft compared to other ethnic groups (as measured by the tensile force needed to break the hair fibre). This has certain similarities to that reported for trichorrhexis nodosa (weathering secondary to physical damage) and trichothiodystrophy [a genetic disorder associated with reduced cystine (sulphur)-rich proteins and increased fragility]. In the present study, the distribution of the cystine-rich proteins in the hair of black Africans was compared to that of Caucasian and Asian volunteers, plus patients with trichorrhexis nodosa and trichothiodystrophy, using transmission electron microscopy and specific silver stains. It was found that the silver staining pattern of the hair shafts of black Africans was similar to that observed for Caucasians, Asians and also patients with trichorrhexis nodosa. The cuticular cells exhibited an electron dense A layer and exocuticle, and in the cortex the microfibrils forming the macrofibres were outlined by electron-dense material. This contrasts with the abnormal distribution of the cystine-rich proteins seen in trichothiodystrophy. This study is the first formal comparison of the cystine-rich proteins in the various racial groups and shows that there is no abnormality in their distribution in black African hair shafts compared to the other ethnic groups. Therefore, the excessive structural damage observed in the African hair shafts is consistent with physical trauma (resulting from grooming) rather than an inherent weakness due to any structural abnormality."

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16630535

So it all boils back down to good hair care practices in RETAINING length. I mean, unless you have a disorder or your diet is severely depleted of vital nutrients, then I dont see the need for protein supplements to boost hair growth.

ceebee3

I agree if you have a completly healthy balanced diet there is no need for supplements.

However, many people do not have a balanced diet at all (myself included).

shunemite

I just eat a regular healthy diet, and take a regular multi vitamin for those drive thru fast food days. That's it. If you don't eat well, nothing will be healthy down the road: not your blood pressure, blood sugar, nails, or bones. And hair will be the least of your problems.

BeetleBug

I stopped taking vitamins a year ago. I've realized that I've been wasting money all this time. My hair grows the same rate w/ or w/o supplements. My diet is not the healthiest (I love candy) but I try to consume healthy foods daily.

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

For me it's about how much moisture I need than anything else. If my hair is too soft I need to back off it and too dry it's vice versa. It's never gotten so soft that I needed an immediate protein treatment. Rather it's usually that the moisture just sits on top rather than penetrate my hair. When I do protein it's either through henna which is more for the color and added thickness than anything else.

Now as for my relaxed friends they have to do protein because of the weakened condition of their hair but I'm sure there are those where that's not necessary. Protein doesn't really hinder or help me I suppose but it's usually not a heavy treatment that I indulge in if any.

However I always wondered what super stretchy hair feels like so I can eat my words...

eta: Oh I didn't read fully enough. So eating specifically for protein isn't necessary? I don't eat that much protein as is. I use to be a vegetarian so it takes some getting use to and meat can be pricey. However if you have a poor diet you may still wanna incorporate it if not for your hair than overall health.

Last edited:

dynamic1

Well, I saw an article about a research regarding the amount of Cystine/ other proteins in hair and how the distribution in African hair is NOT different from the amount in other racial groups.

So it all boils back down to good hair care practices in RETAINING length. I mean, unless you have a disorder or your diet is severely depleted of vital nutrients, then I dont see the need for protein supplements to boost hair growth.

Is it your assertion that people were consuming extra protein because they had "African" hair? Most of the research on supplementation was generally referencing all hair types. I agree with the bold but some people like additional insurance. We should look to vitamins in nutrients from whole food sources first and supplements when/where the diet lacks.