Is protein bad for natural 4B ladies ???

Aaliyah

I'm asking this question because I've noticed that when I do a deep conditioning treatment with a conditioner that contains protein my hair gets very very dry.

Conditioners I've used are Lekair (green one) and ORS Mayonaise (by the way...ORS contains SLS, my hair can't stand it).

Maybe there is a moisturizing conditioner without protein that I can use as a deep conditioner? Any suggestions ladies???

Thanx in advance !

Nonie

I have 4A/B hair and love GPB (which is a reconstructor, ie it contains both protein and moisturizing properties). I loved UBH Conditioner too when I used to use it. (My hair is natural, BTW.) I'm not a PJ so I have a feeling there is sth even better out there. Are you natural or relaxed?

bellydancer

my hair can't take too much protein at all. it breaks off and gets dry. I don't use it much at all. less than once a month. i use LustraSilk Herbal Cholesterol.

Trinity1

It depends on what type of protein. My hair loves Silk protein but hates wheat,soy protein.....

Tee Tee

missykeyana

I don't think that protein is bad if you need it. Your hair may be drying out because it is strong and healthy and just doesn't need that much protein.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
my hair can't take too much protein at all. it breaks off and gets dry. I don't use it much at all. less than once a month. i use LustraSilk Herbal Cholesterol.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here

Aaliyah

Hmmmm
, I guess I won't be doing protein deep conditioning treatments anymore (well, not frequently, maybe once every three months or so).

I think all the protein is the reason why my hair is breaking like crazy. From now on I will shampoo with creme of nature once a week an d I will daily rinse/ co-wash. Maybe this will help with the extreme dryness and breakage.
What do you ladies think? Is this a good idea? Bye the way, how do you care for your natural hair (just curious).

Peachi

My hair (natural 4B) also hates a lot of protein. I use the GBP mixed in with some nexuss humectant conditioner. I also have the Nexuss protein reconstructor which I hardly use these days. Too much protein makes your hair hard and it breaks.

Healthb4Length

are you properly moisturizing your hair after the protein treatment? Protein does make your hair stronger but it also makes it dryer, you need to put a good moisturizer on after a protein treatment. If your hair is fairly healthy then you really don't need to do that much protein treatments but if you choose to do so and you have natural hair, I read somewhere that you have to dilute the treatment with a little bit of H2o. Maybe this can help.

Mahalialee4

When I do the homemade Cathy Howse conditioner, I add honey and castor oil and black strap molasses to it. I love the results. Sometimes I condition wash with Le Kair and my hair loves that too. It seems to really love protein as long as I do it in a combo with oil and honey. Bonjour.

BronzeBrown

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
When I do the homemade Cathy Howse conditioner, I add honey and castor oil and black strap molasses to it. I love the results. Sometimes I condition wash with Le Kair and my hair loves that too. It seems to really love protein as long as I do it in a combo with oil and honey. Bonjour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mahalialee, so black strap molasses is a natural source of protein?